Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
https://youtu.be/Ej6XXc6Kq90

Latina Mom Berated Publicly for Speaking Spanish in a Restaurant - NBC News

How disgusting. So what if a family is speaking Spanish or Russian or Italian or any other language. America does not have a national language, no one is required to learn/speak English.
It's rude period. If you want to live in the U.S. speak English... Assimilate

Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 AM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was in a restaurant last night and heard two tables of people speaking Spanish. All I could think of was how amazingly brazen and rude someone would have to be to walk up to the table and berate the people for speaking Spanish.

Of course! How is it someone feels they have the right to object to how a conversation is conducted that they are no part of?

Is it because they want to eavesdrop? That is hardly a right.

If the decibel level is extreme one could ask that it be toned down, but apart from that MYOB!

Don in Austin

Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was in a restaurant last night and heard two tables of people speaking Spanish. All I could think of was how amazingly brazen and rude someone would have to be to walk up to the table and berate the people for speaking Spanish.
I worked with nurses that spoke Spanish and each time they were pulled in the office and told to speak English.

We are up north. One night shift we were in the nurses station and they were rambling in Spanish. My white co-worker was sitting next to me whispered that they are talking about us. It was hilarious when he started speaking fluent Spanish, lol. You should have seen the look on their faces. I about fell off my chair laughing.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 AM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What if there was one member of the whole group who was visiting from another country and whose English wasn't so good and the group was being considerate of him/her?

But regardless, here is what is "rude period," to tell a group that you are not part of how to conduct their conversation.

No group of friends/family has an obligation to share their conversation with strangers.

Why is it so important to you to be able to eavesdrop?

If you were at the next table and I knew that about you, I'd wish my group and I did know Spanish!

Don in Austin

Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
I think it is rude for you to listen to other people's conversations. Mind your own business.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
What if there was one member of the whole group who was visiting from another country and whose English wasn't so good and the group was being considerate of him/her?

But regardless, here is what is "rude period," to tell a group that you are not part of how to conduct their conversation.

No group of friends/family has an obligation to share their conversation with strangers.

Why is it so important to you to be able to eavesdrop?

If you were at the next table and I knew that about you, I'd wish my group and I did know Spanish!

Don in Austin
It's not sharing your conversation. It's if you want to be here in the U.S. then act and speak like you want to be one of us.

If you want to speak Spanish, go to a Spanish speaking country.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think it is rude for you to listen to other people's conversations. Mind your own business.
LOL, yea as they speak so loud for everyone who couldn't help but to hear but NOT knowing that there was someone they were talking ABOUT that understood everything they were saying. What are we supposed to do leave? We were working and they were there to WORK not talk about people.

It's RUDE to talk about other people period. Yes they were perras who wanted to be in the U.S. but didn't want to show respect to the people.. go home then.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
It wasn't the least bit rude of them to be speaking Spanish. The first was a big group and they were at their table talking, laughing and having fun. I just happened to hear them while I was at the salad bar. The other conversation was happening in the booth behind us. I heard bits and pieces. Not a single thing about either conversation had anything to do with me or was disruptive in any way. It's very common where I live and I wouldn't have thought twice about it if it weren't for this thread.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
It's not sharing your conversation. It's if you want to be here in the U.S. then act and speak like you want to be one of us.

So I'll keep speaking Spanish in the US then!

Do you also jump into the conversations of people in the booth next to you at a restaurant?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:

Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events