Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I agree that he should have been in an institution but what can you do? Too many people look at state mental institutions as a waste of tax payer money like other state programs. If you have too many voters like that, it ain't going to happen. So you have to go on the gun side, because people don't want to look into the mirror to see the real reason why, they all just wanted lower taxes.
And that is exactly what we are seeing. Maybe it's because I come from a design/engineering background but by not going after the root cause of the problem, the problem will continue no matter what types of short term fixes we find. It seems so easy to see that, why can't others see it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
"ANOTHER MOVIE THEATER SHOOTING"

But, it turns out the only shots fired were by law enforcement personnel, and the only fatality was the perpetrator, who was "armed" with an air-soft gun, a hatchet, pepper spray, and a fake bomb in a backpack.
It made national headlines as a "theater shooting", but the follow up article with the above details was on page three of the newspaper.
A little sensationalism with your morning coffee, anyone?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And that is exactly what we are seeing. Maybe it's because I come from a design/engineering background but by not going after the root cause of the problem, the problem will continue no matter what types of short term fixes we find. It seems so easy to see that, why can't others see it ?
The problem is short-sidedness. People see spending as the problem because they also want lower taxes yet forget that we do need spending to fix problems like this. Then when problems like this happen (sensationalized or not) they complain about it until they hear that politicians would have to raise taxes to finance the solutions. So we have to do these other solutions unless are willing to pay the price.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
What with all those movie shootings, I don't let them go to the movies anymore. At home in front of Netflix, I know the kids are alright.
Or you could not be paranoid, realize that millions of people go to the movies every day without incident.

The only thing given when it comes to stuff like this is that people will always overreact.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Get yourself the largest HDTV you can afford and a nice surround sound system...adios movie theaters.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:01 AM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Apparently had been homeless and a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.
Before 24 hour news cycles. This would have been a 1 time local news event.

There is nothing that anyone could have done to prevent 1 local mentally challenged person for foing this. But the news would have just moved on.

Now, we see it over and over on all channels and all this doe is give bad idead to crazies and bad people.

The best thing I saw on the news regarding this event was the man that was wounded coming to the microphone thanking the police and stating that this would be the one, and only, time he would speak and for the press to leave him, and his family, alone--PERIOD, END OF STORY

Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Time to install metal detectors in movie theatres. How sad our world has become. I'm also going to get my CCW and I'll just carry it with me

Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Or you could not be paranoid, realize that millions of people go to the movies every day without incident.

The only thing given when it comes to stuff like this is that people will always overreact.
I haven't. I still saw The Dark Knight Rises in theaters and saw Iron Man 3 as a midnight release after the Aurora shooting during The Dark Knight Rises midnight premier. I then saw Vacation after the Louisiana shooting during Trainwreck last week. Despite this week's active shooter situation and last week's shooting, I will see Fantastic Four this weekend. All this means is I look around the theater for the exit signs before and after the whole "look for the exit" announcements before trailers before each film.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:34 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"ANOTHER MOVIE THEATER SHOOTING"

But, it turns out the only shots fired were by law enforcement personnel, and the only fatality was the perpetrator, who was "armed" with an air-soft gun, a hatchet, pepper spray, and a fake bomb in a backpack.
It made national headlines as a "theater shooting", but the follow up article with the above details was on page three of the newspaper.
A little sensationalism with your morning coffee, anyone?
Exactly. This was actually a "Suicide By Cop". Although I suppose that is much better than it could have been.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Every one of these shooters is on SSRIs, I'd guarantee it, and no one is looking at that factor. Better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events