Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Not even two weeks after the Louisiana theater shooting, another shooting at a movie theater happened, this time in suburban Nashville, TN. My question is, when will we ever learn that we need to have metal detectors at movie theaters?
Gunman Killed, 3 Injured at Movie Theater Shooting in Tennessee | Variety

Quote:
Police have confirmed that one suspect is dead after a movie theater shooting outside of Nashville, Tennessee. The man reportedly entered a screening of “Mad Max: Fury Road” carrying a gun and hatchet, and began to attack the audience.

One man was slashed on his shoulder with a hatchet, said Nashville metro police spokesperson Don Aaron. Three are being treated for pepper spray exposure. There have been no reported deaths, other than the suspect.

The suspect has been confirmed to be a local white male in his 50s. Witnesses at a nearby business reported seeing one person covered in blood, according to local affiliate WSMV.

Police reportedly arrived within 5 minutes of the attack, which took place at the Carmike 8 Cinemas in Antioch, a suburban community outside of Nashville. The suspect escaped to the back of the theater, where he opened fire on police officers and authorities returned fire, killing the suspect on the scene.

The suspect, wearing a surgical mask, unleashed a thick fog of pepper spray in theater, said Aaron.

A spokesperson from the Nashville police department confirmed that law enforcement received a call at 1:13 p.m. CST of a person entering the theater with a weapon.

Last month, three people were killed, including the suspect, at movie theater shooting in Lafayette, Louisiana. The deadly shooting happened during a screening of Amy Schumer’s “Trainwreck,” prompting the actress to call for stricter gun laws earlier this week at a press conference alongside her cousin, Sen. Chuck Schumer (N.Y.).

Earlier this week, a jury determined that Aurora movie theater shooter James Holmes was eligible for the death penalty after killing 12 people in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:26 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Time to ban movie theaters. /sarc off

Old 08-05-2015, 02:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not even two weeks after the Louisiana theater shooting, another shooting at a movie theater happened, this time in suburban Nashville, TN. My question is, when will we ever learn that we need to have metal detectors at movie theaters?
Sure--metal detectors in movies, schools, shopping malls, train stations, bus stations, events, picnics............do you not think this is insanity?

I'd rather live in a country where I do not have to think about mentally ill people walking around with an arsenal, and plan to do so. The future of this country is that people will waste half their time going through metal detectors to protect themselves from guns.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
I'm just absolutely shocked.

Yeah. Nothing (new) to see here, people.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Five minutes for the police to arrive.

When seconds count, I'll be protecting myself.

Keep in mind, I'm not looking for a gunfight or even to protect anyone else (in most situations). I'll stay as hidden as possible until I'm forced to fire. I won't be begging for my life while the gun is aimed at me or my family.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sure--metal detectors in movies, schools, shopping malls, train stations, bus stations, events, picnics............do you not think this is insanity?

I'd rather live in a country where I do not have to think about mentally ill people walking around with an arsenal, and plan to do so. The future of this country is that people will waste half their time going through metal detectors to protect themselves from guns.
And what do you propose we do? As of right now only sports arenas, courts, capital buildings, at-risk inner city schools, some theme parks and airports are the only places you see metal detectors. There's so many places that don't such as restaurants, national parks, malls, movies, bus station, train stations, music venues, etc. Some uses are asinine (I'm looking at you Universal Islands of Adventure with the Incredible Hulk roller coaster) but most are warranted. The only real time you have breaches is errors by scanners or someone going around the check-points (say Aurora.)

Old 08-05-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
and airports are the only places you see metal detectors.

TSA Chief Out After Agents Fail 95 Percent of Airport Breach Tests - NBC News

Airport security failed 95% of the time in terms of guns, knives and explosives.

I'm not sure how good a movie theater metal detector is going to be.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:58 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Only person shot was the perpetrator!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Only person shot was the perpetrator!
At least we don't have to pay for all the associated costs if he lived.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
He had a hatchet and a gun, wtf?

Anyhow, I think we need to go back to inpatient mental health treatment. Deinstitutionalization was about warm fuzzies, but it doesn't work. It looks good on paper, like communism, but in practice doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events