Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 07:04 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Sounds like some college professors...
Yep, unfortunately. It always sucks for undergraduates to get the professor who came into the profession mainly for research rather than teaching - - I think most students want someone who at least is a communicator if not dynamic in doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

Yes, they are asking for donations. I subscribe to the Duggar newsletter, and here's the last one they sent regarding Jill & Derrick's mission:

Friends,

We are so excited to announce that we have safely arrived on the mission field and we can now tell you that we are in Central America! Israel seems to be adjusting to the new climate, culture, food (via mom’s milk), and language faster than Jill and I are. In fact, he has been the talk of the town. Everywhere we go, people here about and want to see and hold the, “big blue-eyed, white baby” LOL. Israel is definitely growing and developing fast. It has also been wonderful to make contact and talk briefly with family back in the US to share updates.

Above all, thank you to God and all our prayer and financial partners. We cannot express enough gratitude for the ways God has been working through so many of you to make this transition for our family as smooth as possible. God has used you all to bless us and to make our vision a reality for those who have yet to put their faith in Jesus Christ, who is our only hope for salvation.

It is encouraging to already see some of the ways God is changing the hearts of the people here. Just 7 days ago, I had the joy of witnessing one elderly woman give lordship of her life to Christ. This transpired just one day after her Christian son was restored to fellowship in his local church. We were at the man’s house ministering to him with encouragement from God’s Word when the opportunity was presented to share the hope of the Gospel with his mother. It’s our prayer, and we ask you to please pray with us, that many more would repent of their ways and turn to God’s way for their life.

“Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!” -Psalm 106:1

Love,

Derick & Jill

P.S. If you would like to financially support our family ministry you can do so here: https://give.cornerstone.cc/The+Dillards
Soliciting for donations to a non-profit ministry is different from asking people to donate money to the family. The family has plenty of money. The ministry is sending people abroad on religious missions. Two different things.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
They are not forbidden to attend college. One of the older kids is away at college now. The Duggar kids were all raised to be responsible & hardworking. One of the Duggar boys is a police officer.

No, there have been no more incidents. Josh was FOURTEEN YEARS OLD when this happened. What 14-year-old boy ISN'T curious about boobs?! He's not a pedophile. He was a child when it happened, and it's long in the past. Marc Paolella, when you were a young teen, did you ever think about boobs? If you say "no," then you're either lying or you've forgotten that children are and always have been sexually curious. This is nothing new, and has been blown WAY out of proportion by the media.

Whatever they did, it worked. JOSH IS FINE NOW and he's been fine ever since coming home from his construction job/work therapy. Josh is not a child molester. He was a kid who was curious just like millions of other kids have done the same thing. He learned his lesson and he's fine now.

The Duggar kids have been raised very well. While most kids sit on their butts in school 40 hours a week, the Duggar kids not only learned their three R's but ALSO learned home construction, vehicle maintenance, culinary skills, missionary work, childcare, and more. The Duggars aren't "breeding stock." They're raising upstanding, productive, caring citizens.

Josh Duggar was A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD CHILD when the worrisome things happened. It's so far in the past. He healed so long ago. He has a wife to love on now.

Your time line is way off. The entire incident and healing was in the past before the media ever knew who the Duggars were.

The policeman gave Josh a stern talking-to, and apparently it worked. What the policeman did in his free time, he's paying the price for now. And the man heading the construction site was not the police officer. It was a completely different person. Do not conflate all of the matters into one.

No, the attacks are not warranted. Most people do similar or worse things at some point, but the Duggars have been so attacked because the media is cruel & ruthless. The Duggars have been held to an impossibly high standard although all along they've kept reminding us, "We're not perfect!"

Yes, they are asking for donations. I subscribe to the Duggar newsletter, and here's the last one they sent regarding Jill & Derrick's mission:

Friends,

We are so excited to announce that we have safely arrived on the mission field and we can now tell you that we are in Central America! Israel seems to be adjusting to the new climate, culture, food (via mom’s milk), and language faster than Jill and I are. In fact, he has been the talk of the town. Everywhere we go, people here about and want to see and hold the, “big blue-eyed, white baby” LOL. Israel is definitely growing and developing fast. It has also been wonderful to make contact and talk briefly with family back in the US to share updates.

Above all, thank you to God and all our prayer and financial partners. We cannot express enough gratitude for the ways God has been working through so many of you to make this transition for our family as smooth as possible. God has used you all to bless us and to make our vision a reality for those who have yet to put their faith in Jesus Christ, who is our only hope for salvation.

It is encouraging to already see some of the ways God is changing the hearts of the people here. Just 7 days ago, I had the joy of witnessing one elderly woman give lordship of her life to Christ. This transpired just one day after her Christian son was restored to fellowship in his local church. We were at the man’s house ministering to him with encouragement from God’s Word when the opportunity was presented to share the hope of the Gospel with his mother. It’s our prayer, and we ask you to please pray with us, that many more would repent of their ways and turn to God’s way for their life.

“Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!” -Psalm 106:1

Love,

Derick & Jill

P.S. If you would like to financially support our family ministry you can do so here: https://give.cornerstone.cc/The+Dillards
Ugh. This practice of going into economically ravaged cultures and brainwashing them with this fundamentalist bunk is a pet peeve of mine. By all means go in and help with issues that are core to people's survival, but leave your Jesus praying ego out of it. Jesus ain't gonna put food on the table, clean up the water or educate the kids.

The last thing people need in the overpopulated third world is a primer on how righteous it is to fill your community with as many starving children as you can bear. Distribution of condoms would be a wee bit more altruistic.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Soliciting for donations to a non-profit ministry is different from asking people to donate money to the family. The family has plenty of money. The ministry is sending people abroad on religious missions. Two different things.
They are also asking for donations to continue their Youtube videos.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Are you sure you don't have an unconscious bias? I took a brief look at your post history and you seem to um, favor the other side of the aisle. (than the Duggars that is, I'm a non-partisan)
Huh? What does that even mean?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
TLC should be ashamed of themselves by going so far removed from what they originally were about some 20 years ago by offering non-PBS educational programming for both children and adults. Now it is reality crapfests up the wazoo.
They used to have some really good shows. My favorite was Trading Spaces.

Quote:
That would be a little weird since they are bigger than he is.

He did what he did at age 14.

We have tributes to Michael Jackson, adore Roman Polanski, Ted Nugent and a host of others that made adult informed decisions. We have news articles demanding that the sex offender labeled on the kid that had sex with the girl that lied about her age (CNN article this week) wasn't fair.

All that and we can't forgive a 14yo?

Again, this entire argument splits down political lines and if he were a Kennedy over half of the people would flip-flop entirely on the topic.

Are you sure you don't have an unconscious bias? I took a brief look at your post history and you seem to um, favor the other side of the aisle. (than the Duggars that is, I'm a non-partisan)
If you had a 5yr old daughter who was touched sexually with digital penetration by a 14 yr old you'd be okay if it was handled by sending him to do manual labor for a few months and then come back and keep hanging out with your 5 year old?

If it was my kid I'd be raising holy he*l.

You really wouldn't want to see him investigated and evaluated by trained professionals? I'm not saying he should be put on the offender registry I don't even think he should of gone to a juvenile detention facility.

But I'm deeply bothered that an impartial child protection agency wasn't involved. Not just for Josh but for his victims. One of whom is suing him for the assault.

If they had been honest and handled this like most parents/adults would and CPS found nothing wrong, or didn't recommend treatment or anything, I'd trust that the agency acted in the best interest of ALL of minor parties involved.

I also think if they had handled this differently the general public might have a different opinion. But they handled it wrong when it happened and when it came out they didn't handle that right either.

IMHO, I think the show could of been saved had this been handled differently.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh no! Now they have to get jobs like everyone else.
Except they aren't prepared to anything much besides be on TV.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Huh? What does that even mean?
It means your political orientation is biasing your opinion on the matter because the people in question are vocal and right-wing.

It's like the people that whine about Polansky while giving Ted Nugent a pass.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:57 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If you had a 5yr old daughter who was touched sexually with digital penetration by a 14 yr old you'd be okay if it was handled by sending him to do manual labor for a few months and then come back and keep hanging out with your 5 year old?

If it was my kid I'd be raising holy he*l.

You really wouldn't want to see him investigated and evaluated by trained professionals? I'm not saying he should be put on the offender registry I don't even think he should of gone to a juvenile detention facility.

But I'm deeply bothered that an impartial child protection agency wasn't involved. Not just for Josh but for his victims. One of whom is suing him for the assault.

If they had been honest and handled this like most parents/adults would and CPS found nothing wrong, or didn't recommend treatment or anything, I'd trust that the agency acted in the best interest of ALL of minor parties involved.

I also think if they had handled this differently the general public might have a different opinion. But they handled it wrong when it happened and when it came out they didn't handle that right either.

IMHO, I think the show could of been saved had this been handled differently.
We could be discussing this like adults if you didn't lead in with the implication that I'd be "ok with it".

Do you feel that's a fair way to conduct a discussion?

You ever watch the Southpark where they are making fun of Glenn Beck? He's just "asking questions" like the ones you just asked. Youtube it then go look in the mirror.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Quote:
It means your political orientation is biasing your opinion on the matter because the people in question are vocal and right-wing.

It's like the people that whine about Polansky while giving Ted Nugent a pass.
I'm not politically aligned one way or another, I prefer common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events