Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This isn't about being "more tolerant of other people's lifestyles" .

Sex abuse and assault aren't lifestyle choices.
Are you saying that sexual abuse is/was a part of the Duggar's lifestyle and/or a part of fundamentalist Christian's lifestyles? I certainly didn't say that so this idea must be coming from your own psyche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 07:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This isn't about being "more tolerant of other people's lifestyles" .

Sex abuse and assault aren't lifestyle choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Are you saying that sexual abuse is/was a part of the Duggar's lifestyle and/or a part of fundamentalist Christian's lifestyles? I certainly didn't say that so this idea must be coming from your own psyche.
I think what the poster is saying is the exact opposite.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:53 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

Aren't Jill and Jessa getting their own show? This will help with the finances and is probably in the best interest of TLCs bottom line.
Really?? No, I am pretty sure Jill and Jessa will not be getting their own show. Do you really think any network would take that risk with what has come out about the family??? Name me one Company that would advertise their product during the show??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Would you let him babysit your kids?
^This response is the best one here for anyone who defends the actions of the 14 year old Josh.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:02 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
With that attitiude I hope you never end up on a jury deciding someone's future based upon your own biases and prejudices, rather than the law.

You may be right about some future memoir coming from a Duggar child that reveals from his/her first hand experience of what a dysfunctional family the Duggars are but until then I will not join the hysteria that is so rampant on this thread. I have stated previously why I do not condemn the Duggars so all I can say is that I guess I am more "tolerant" of other people's lifestyles (even weird, fundamentalist Christian lifestyles) than what is evident here.
In many states a 14 1/2 year old can begin planning their wedding which can take place at the age of 16.

We do not want to become tolerant of 14 year olds touching their little sister's sex organs. Let's do hysteria when we have 14 year olds, who can plan their wedding, touching their little sister's sex organs. Yeah. I'm good with hysteria there. Hysteria may stop it. Tolerance will not.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:47 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
There seems to be mass confusion on this thread, when someone says they are tolerant of Duggar's religion and way of living, that DOES NOT mean that poster condones or is tolerant of sexual molestation. Such as, when I said I noticed the so many were lined up to bash the Duggars based on their religion choices and way of living (homeschooling, religious convictions, modest dress), it was assumed automatically and aggressively that it must mean I am pro sexual molestation.

Common sense goes a long way.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:29 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,342 times
Maybe they could have a cooking show -

"Baking With The Duggars"

Or how about a house flipping show -

"Flipping With The Duggars"

Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There seems to be mass confusion on this thread, when someone says they are tolerant of Duggar's religion and way of living, that DOES NOT mean that poster condones or is tolerant of sexual molestation. Such as, when I said I noticed the so many were lined up to bash the Duggars based on their religion choices and way of living (homeschooling, religious convictions, modest dress), it was assumed automatically and aggressively that it must mean I am pro sexual molestation.

Common sense goes a long way.
There certainly is!! (Mass confusion, as you state.) Not one person has voiced approval of Josh Duggar's sexual molestation of his sisters and the other girl and not one person has endorsed the way the Duggars live their lives. I, and a few others, have supported the right of the Duggars to live the life they have chosen, without endorsing it, as long as they are not a drain on society or creating problems for the rest of us. In contrast there has been near wholesale condemnation of the Duggars for everything they do--the way they raise their children, the way they handled Josh's grievous misstep, the way the women dress, the family dynamics, the homeschooling of the children, the submissive roles the women play and the dominant roles the men play, they way they have earned a significant amount of money, their views on homosexuality, the suppression of "rights" of the children and the women, the way they discipline their children, their decision to have such a large family, their fundamentalist religious beliefs, they way the women have a perpetual smile on their faces, the strict and sheltered life they live--the list is endless.

There is so much intolerance shown to this family who, while strange and weird, have never taken a dime of welfare money, have been responsible, loving and engaged parents in providing for, educating (all at home, no less!) and training their children and bringing them up in such a way that none of the children (as far as is known) have adopted destructive, anti-social habits as adults. Again, as far as is known, there have been no out-of-wedlock babies, no descent into alcoholism or drug abuse, no dependence on welfare, no illegal activities, no violent tendencies. The ones who have married appear to be as happy as anyone else and more so than many.

Everyone has their own path in life to walk and as long as they are not a drain on society, harming or habitually creating problems for the rest of us, it is their right to live it the way they see fit.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
There certainly is!! (Mass confusion, as you state.) Not one person has voiced approval of Josh Duggar's sexual molestation of his sisters and the other girl and not one person has endorsed the way the Duggars live their lives. I, and a few others, have supported the right of the Duggars to live the life they have chosen, without endorsing it, as long as they are not a drain on society or creating problems for the rest of us. In contrast there has been near wholesale condemnation of the Duggars for everything they do--the way they raise their children, the way they handled Josh's grievous misstep, the way the women dress, the family dynamics, the homeschooling of the children, the submissive roles the women play and the dominant roles the men play, they way they have earned a significant amount of money, their views on homosexuality, the suppression of "rights" of the children and the women, the way they discipline their children, their decision to have such a large family, their fundamentalist religious beliefs, they way the women have a perpetual smile on their faces, the strict and sheltered life they live--the list is endless.

There is so much intolerance shown to this family who, while strange and weird, have never taken a dime of welfare money, have been responsible, loving and engaged parents in providing for, educating (all at home, no less!) and training their children and bringing them up in such a way that none of the children (as far as is known) have adopted destructive, anti-social habits as adults. Again, as far as is known, there have been no out-of-wedlock babies, no descent into alcoholism or drug abuse, no dependence on welfare, no illegal activities, no violent tendencies. The ones who have married appear to be as happy as anyone else and more so than many.

Everyone has their own path in life to walk and as long as they are not a drain on society, harming or habitually creating problems for the rest of us, it is their right to live it the way they see fit.
Nobody is questioning their right to live as they want. But judging how they live and how they indoctrinate and destroy the minds of their children is fair game for public commentary. Especially once they whored themselves out on reality TV.

The absence of crime and drugs is not the measure of a good life. The use of Reason and the exercise of free will is. These poor children have had their minds stifled and squished and stuffed with mysticism and irrationality. Basically they have chosen mental retardation as a lifestyle, and I use the term retardation not in the pejorative sense, but in the literal sense - slowing and stopping the exercise of Reason.

Again, nobody is questioning their right to choose mysticism and indoctrination. However, judging and condemning are certainly within our rights as citizen-philosophers and Internet observers.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nobody is questioning their right to live as they want. But judging how they live and how they indoctrinate and destroy the minds of their children is fair game for public commentary. Especially once they whored themselves out on reality TV.

The absence of crime and drugs is not the measure of a good life. The use of Reason and the exercise of free will is. These poor children have had their minds stifled and squished and stuffed with mysticism and irrationality. Basically they have chosen mental retardation as a lifestyle, and I use the term retardation not in the pejorative sense, but in the literal sense - slowing and stopping the exercise of Reason.

Again, nobody is questioning their right to choose mysticism and indoctrination. However, judging and condemning are certainly within our rights as citizen-philosophers and Internet observers.
See the bolded part........... and then you continue to do just that in the rest of your post with completely unfounded accusations.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
See the bolded part........... and then you continue to do just that in the rest of your post with completely unfounded accusations.
No I don't. I fully the support the right of a person to make a bad and destructive choice for their own life. However, I will always advise against it. In this case, the evil is greater since the parents have exported their malevolent irrationality to children who will never know better, unless they are strong enough to one day break free on their own steam. Most people are not strong enough or independent enough to overcome the bad upbringing of their parents. Hopefully the Duggar parents have not totally succeeded in creating automatons. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events