Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,349 times

Advertisements

A minor traffic stop in SoCal turned into attempted murder.

From the California Highway Patrol:

Downey, CA - On August 6, 2015, at approximately 8 a.m., a Santa Fe Springs CHP Motorcycle Officer conducted a traffic stop on a blue Honda Civic. The officer stopped the vehicle for a minor moving violation, on the northbound I-605 (San Gabriel River Freeway), at Imperial Highway.

The motorcycle officer contacted two Hispanic, male adults, in their early 20's and asked the driver to produce his driver license. The driver was unable to produce a driver license or an identification card, but identified himself with a fictitious name and date of birth. After gathering the information, the officer requested a records check on the driver and vehicle.

During the course of gathering the records check from dispatch, the driver fled the traffic stop by accelerating away at a high rate of speed. At the same time, dispatch advised the officer that the Honda Civic was stolen.

The officer mounted his motorcycle and a pursuit ensued. The Honda exited the freeway and into the city streets of Downey. The Honda made a right turn onto northbound Woodruff Avenue and came to a screeching halt at Cecilia Street. The motorcycle officer quickly came to a stop behind the Honda, but before he could dismount his motorcycle, the suspect placed the Honda in reverse in attempt to run over the officer and his motorcycle. Fearing for his life, the officer dropped his motorcycle and discharged his weapon several times striking the rear window and rear of the Honda.

After running over the motorcycle, the suspects fled down the street where they abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot. The motorcycle officer relayed the information about the assault and description of the suspects to the responding units, as well as to Downey PD officers. The suspects were quickly apprehended. One suspect was tased and one surrendered without resisting.

The CHP Motorcycle Officer was not hurt and neither were any residents. There is currently an ongoing investigation being conducted by CHP investigators as to why the suspects were in possession of a stolen vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 04:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
And?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And?
Congratulations, you helped make the point.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Is it CHP policy for a motorcycle cop to pursue a fleeing vehicle? That sounds dangerous as hell for the reasons outlined in the article. I'm glad he wasn't run over.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Congratulations, you helped make the point.
Why thank you. Seriously. You call that a point? Apples and oranges my friend. There is NOTHING controversial in that piece genius, and if you cannot see the difference between their traffic stop and Sandra Bland's (edit: and Sam Dubose's) you need to turn in your Mensa card right now. Come on, hand it over!

Old 08-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Why thank you. Seriously. You call that a point? Apples and oranges my friend. There is NOTHING controversial in that piece genius, and if you cannot see the difference between their traffic stop and Sandra Bland's (edit: and Sam Dubose's) you need to turn in your Mensa card right now. Come on, hand it over!
Ha! Post of the day!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Since when does there have to be a controversy, friend? Read the rules for this forum lately? You're just upset because you clicked and didn't get the thrill of another cop hater thread.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Is it CHP policy for a motorcycle cop to pursue a fleeing vehicle? That sounds dangerous as hell for the reasons outlined in the article. I'm glad he wasn't run over.
Why yes it is. Just how do you think they catch speeders who don't want tickets. Pursue means follow. Maybe they should just look the other way? Those clowns would have backed up into a cop car most likely, they were, what is the term, ah, criminals. They can have my card if you two are in the club.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
How many more innocent Honda Civic rear windows must be destroyed before we reign in the police?

I'll bet the window was tinted, that's why the cop shot it. Racially motivated. He shot the black window.

Couldn't you at least find a story where the cop actually shot someone?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Why yes it is. Just how do you think they catch speeders who don't want tickets. Pursue means follow. Maybe they should just look the other way? Those clowns would have backed up into a cop car most likely, they were, what is the term, ah, criminals. They can have my card if you two are in the club.
I would have thought they would radio for car backup.

And his reply to your OP was, in fact funny. I wasn't laughing at you personally. No need to get defensive. I asked an honest question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events