Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:48 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times

Advertisements

I wanted to save a baby seal but the law prevented me from intervention and the seal died of starvation and exhaustion in front of me.
The law was established by people that do not believe others should take on such a responsibility, however those the are qualified are not able, due to the lack of funds and personel to do so.
Don't preach to me about the qualifications for taking on such a task , the fact of the matter is rescues do not always mean success even by the trained pro.
If I failed, the loss would not be noticeable , If I succeeded the seal would have had a better chance of survival.
But there are some that are anxious to exact blame with out knowing all the facts, and those that would do good are penalized.
At home I provide bird houses and protect nesting areas even though some times it's inconvenient for me, and provide food for them and do every ting I can to insure their survival.
The law does not prevent me from this, but because of the media attention, I am prevented from rescuing an ocean mammal that will be food for another ocean mammal one way or another.
Venting a frustration .
Zoos and such are an important part of our culture,and seeing living things that we share the planet with.
And it is important to know where our food comes from, though many of you here probably don't want to know, still being immature infants , that's OK you still should get a grip and learn about the food chain some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 01:23 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
They haven't taken an Orca from the wild in over 35 years.
Do we still collect whales? No we do not.
First off, that's a lie because Tillikum was taken in 1983 - 32 years ago. Second off, they may say that "we" don't take orcas from the wild anymore, but that doesn't mean "they" don't buy them from companies and groups that take sea mammals and other creatures from the wild. None of it should be done.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:35 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
They also separate the moms from the babies and send them to different aquariums as needed. To an orca, her family is EVERYTHING. In the wild they stay in their family pods for life.

Also, captive orcas have short lifespans. Many of them have died, even in infancy.
THIS!

I'm no reflexive zoo hater; I think it's fine to keep animals in zoos IF we can successfully meet their physical and mental needs in a captive environment. There are plenty of species which do just fine in captivity. Killer whales are not one of them. They are simply too large, too intelligent, and too highly social for us to maintain them humanely in a captive state.

We should enjoy them where they belong, in the ocean.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Attendance dropped by more than 100,000 from 6.58 million to 6.48 million.
That's hardly 85%!

Old 08-08-2015, 03:30 PM

702 posts, read 726,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Just curious---did you watch Blackfish?
Yeah, the thing is I don't give a **** about animals.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
WWF - Whales killed by whaling since moratorium

Reading these stats, they might be WAY safer and more likely to survive at SeaWorld then if they were on their own in the wild!
Different kind of whales.

Ironically, the "killer whales" at Sea World kill the kinds of whales in your link in the wild.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
...the other side of the story.

Truth About Blackfish
Why “Blackfish” is Propaganda, not a Documentary
I read an article several years ago where the girl that they heavily quoted who did work with the killer whales and the girl that was killed and she said she regretted working with the people who made the documentary.

She said they took everything she said out of context. While she no longer works with SeaWorld, she deeply regrets participating in the film.

Also, why are they trying to run SeaWorld out of business? What happens to the the fish if the park goes under? How about all those jobs they provide.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:49 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
...the other side of the story.

Truth About Blackfish
Why “Blackfish” is Propaganda, not a Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67RoRHVtKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqvAM0tHTAA

Old 08-08-2015, 04:52 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I was reading an atricle related to the Cecil killing and lions live only 10 years in the wild but up to 30 in zoos with human care. Yes that sounds so terrible.
Hmmm, I guess if we locked you up in a room, fed you, kept you safe from all accidents, etc you could live a very long life. Would you be happy? Or would you want to go out and experience life even with its risks?

Old 08-08-2015, 07:30 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Hmmm, I guess if we locked you up in a room, fed you, kept you safe from all accidents, etc you could live a very long life. Would you be happy? Or would you want to go out and experience life even with its risks?
Are we really thinking that animals at zoos are saying to themselves, "this is nice, but I'd really like to live in nature where I belong?" That's a lot of projecting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events