Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:20 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,938,695 times

Advertisements

I do not support zoos, rodeos, marine parks, circuses, Aquariums or travelling farm shows. It makes me so sad to see how these animals are treated. It is unnatural to live that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,590,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Especially since one of the members of that Seattle orca community is trapped in a swimming pool in Miami and hasn't seen another orca in 35 years. Breaks my heart.
Lolita's situation is arguably the most dire. Nonetheless, all captive orcas should be retired to seapens.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:23 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,425,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Lolita's situation is arguably the most dire. Nonetheless, all captive orcas should be retired to seapens.
Lolita's situation is saddest to me because she not only has the worst home, but her capture was particularly brutal, and reuniting her with her family would be so easy because we know exactly where they are

Old 11-06-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Lolita's situation is saddest to me because she not only has the worst home, but her capture was particularly brutal, and reuniting her with her family would be so easy because we know exactly where they are
That would be heartwarming and would boost any effort to release orcas back into the wild.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:51 PM

Yep. Let's make it a national legislation....

Congressman proposes bill that could ban public displays of captive orcas

Old 11-07-2015, 11:44 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,295,741 times
Quote:
Yep. Let's make it a national legislation....

IMO with the technology we have now and tracking capabilities at our disposal there is no need to have such large creatures in captivity. We will learn more by observing killer whales in there natural environment.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
IMO with the technology we have now and tracking capabilities at our disposal there is no need to have such large creatures in captivity. We will learn more by observing killer whales in there natural environment.
Exactly. You don't learn anything substantial about orcas jumping through hoops in captivity. There are already documentaries accessible via YouTube that's educational and informative and awe inspiring that puts Seaworld's "education and conservation" based shows to shame.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:55 PM

662 posts, read 1,276,175 times
Going off on a tangent as I don’t know, (nor care, frankly), about the issue going on with Seaworld, either way. but I hate how people are so easily persuaded by eco-documentaries on Netflix, which present a single point of view without opposition. And can present things as facts without viewers expecting the film to back up those claims with actual citation. The films aren’t designed to give both sides of an issue, or present things fairly. For instance, if there’s information that makes Seaworld look good, it’s not in their best interest to show it in their film. It relies on a viewers being uncritical to be effective.

Because the purpose of the film is designed to get across the filmmaker’s political activism and it’s edited and presented accordingly. The modern-day documentary is simply propaganda. The standards for documentaries are so compromised compared to how they were before everyone took after Michael Moore. There’s not a single eco-documentary that has under 4 star ratings on Netflix. This is how uncritical viewers have become. It’s a Fox News version of filmmaking.

I can’t count how many times I’ve rolled my eyes when I hear people keeps saying “this changed my life!” after seeing Cowspiracy or whatever. It’s the same exact thing as that time a decade ago when Christians went around telling people to see Mel Gibson’s “Passion of the Christ” because it “will change your life” and you’ll be persuaded to find God.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Going off on a tangent as I don’t know, (nor care, frankly), about the issue going on with Seaworld, either way. but I hate how people are so easily persuaded by eco-documentaries on Netflix, which present a single point of view without opposition. And can present things as facts without viewers expecting the film to back up those claims with actual citation. The films aren’t designed to give both sides of an issue, or present things fairly. For instance, if there’s information that makes Seaworld look good, it’s not in their best interest to show it in their film. It relies on a viewers being uncritical to be effective.

Because the purpose of the film is designed to get across the filmmaker’s political activism and it’s edited and presented accordingly. The modern-day documentary is simply propaganda. The standards for documentaries are so compromised compared to how they were before everyone took after Michael Moore. There’s not a single eco-documentary that has under 4 star ratings on Netflix. This is how uncritical viewers have become. It’s a Fox News version of filmmaking.

I can’t count how many times I’ve rolled my eyes when I hear people keeps saying “this changed my life!” after seeing Cowspiracy or whatever. It’s the same exact thing as that time a decade ago when Christians went around telling people to see Mel Gibson’s “Passion of the Christ” because it “will change your life” and you’ll be persuaded to find God.
ok so thanks to Blackfish, there is now a national conversation about orcas in captivity. There is nothing wrong with a documentary raising public concern. BTW, Seaworld presents its side to millions of people per year.

What's misleading about captive orca attacks and unethical treatment of orcas? Seaworld can't justify its practices, especially when the scientific community does not agree with them.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:02 PM

662 posts, read 1,276,175 times
Quote:
ok so thanks to Blackfish, there is now a national conversation about orcas in captivity. There is nothing wrong with a documentary raising public concern. BTW, Seaworld presents its side to millions of people per year.

What's misleading about captive orca attacks and unethical treatment of orcas? Seaworld can't justify its practices, especially when the scientific community does not agree with them.

My post is not a question about whether Blackfish or orcas need to be freed. I already said I don’t give a crap about that. I’m talking about this genre of filmmaking. That’s the real issue. Smarter documentaries try to see an issue from all angles and allow the viewer to come up with their own conclusion. With this new crop, your opinion is given to you.

Last edited by dtran103; 11-08-2015 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events