Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:38 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I have to object to that as I have seen too many videos in which the gestapo goes way over the top. They are power mad and don't like it when their employers happen to manage them. What if you pulled a gun on your boss because you don't like the way he is looking at you? Little wonder they like to ride around alone all day; no one is supervising them, their thoughts or motives. No one knows until footage like this appears. Oops...your boss recorded you acting a fool.

Policing agencies are the first wave of tyranny sent at us to beat us down until the National Guard comes to disarm us and finish beating us into submission. It shows up on YT and Liveleak every day.

This cop had no reason or excuse for his actions and should be looking for a new job for what was shown.

As far as being needlessly confrontational...I will point at the cop for that. Who knows what would have gone down if the guy had no camera? Every citizen should have a camera and be confrontational when these thugs ignore your constitutional rights; especially when asked if you are a constitutionalist or crazy guy. When ignoring your constitutional rights he becomes the crazy guy and in error regarding the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I don't know about you, but I would not want to be taped by some random stranger either. If someone tried to shoot a video at my work place, I would call security and refuse to provide any services until the camera was put away.
I can understand that. I don't like to see people get needlessly confrontational either. This man should have taken his hand out of his pocket as told to. The issue was twofold:

1) The cop didn't like being video'd. That is too bad, provided it is not illegal. Had he have not gotten out of his vehicle no one would know who he is today.

2) He pulled his gun. There was no need to unholster his weapon like that, that was unprofessional and intentionally menacing.

The cop needs further training to learn how to deal with purposely confrontational clowns like this guy with his camera.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:02 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
He refused to take his hand out of his pocket.

He tried to start something or he wouldn't be taping.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
The difference being private citizen in private workplace vs. public servant performing public service in public.
Yep, postal worker is public sector as is police, firemen, elected officials or any employees of any government agency on the job. It is a broader spectrum than most would believe.

Private should be quite clear. Is the stamped signature on your paycheck that of an elected/appointed official?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He refused to take his hand out of his pocket.

He tried to start something or he wouldn't be taping.
Doesn't cut it. Cop also started video taping the guy, then said "are you a constitutionalist..." mocking the guy. Cop was clearly out of line and fishing for an incident.

Watching the video, both hands become visible. The cop knows there is no danger, he is just menacing the guy.

Pulling his gun in this situation meets the legal definition of assault. Assault legal definition of assault

If I think it is odd that a cop is in an area that is unusual, or is acting in an unusual way, and I start filming, I am not "trying to start something." I am documenting something, even if that turns out to be routine or within the scope of police duties.

Nothing illegal in filming, and further, the act of filming does not in and of itself constitute "trying to start something." If I am in his face, obstructing, menacing, or in some way interfering with the cop in the line of performing duties, then yes, your point about trying to start something may be valid, but in this instance it is not the case.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
For God's sake, the guy was in front of his house hitching his boat to his car. Who cares if he has his hand in his pocket or not? These cops aren't being trained properly, or they're bad hires, if they get so rattled whenever someone goes to record them.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Very good point. Innocent people have been killed because a cop carelessly put himself out in the open, and then became nervous, seeing a slight movement, which prompted him to shoot. In a situation where there is no chase, and the suspect has no visible weapon, the cop should always keep a safe distance, while instructing the suspect how to place himself in a non threatening position.

I agree with you and Jaypee. There were two cops in California who approached a couple of guys who were told to put their hands up, but when one of them took his hat off to throw it, one of the cops shot him in the head.

The guy who trains a lot of the cops made a statement saying they were wrong to be standing in front of their vehicle, they should have positioned themselves so the squad was between them and the two they stopped.

Inept cops have become a danger to society.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:36 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,670 times
"Men are most apt to believe what they least understand." - Pliny the Elder

How many of us here are or were police officers?

How many of us here know that there is a small group of violent, anti-government and anti-police people in the west who call themselves "the Constitutionalists?"

How many of us here know that police officers (and Secret Service agents) are trained that if they can't see the hand, it is a threat to a scene you control until the hand is exposed and found to contained no weapon?

How many of us here know exactly what, under the law, the drawing of a pistol by a policeman is? (Ans: It is a use of force that is less than deadly force, often defensive in nature.)

And finally, how many of us, without knowing what was going on in this event, or what was going on in the policeman's mind, have generalized some bad activity by some policeman to this guy, or this guy's perceived bad conduct to all other police officers - and then posted it here as our final judgement ...for all to read? Wow.

All those lives I've saved, all those victims I've gotten their property back, all those violent people I've locked up - and the biggest threat to me is a camera?

Really...?

(To everyone else, 'You're welcome." )

R-3

Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
"Men are most apt to believe what they least understand." - Pliny the Elder

How many of us here are or were police officers?

How many of us here know that police officers (and Secret Service agents) are trained that if they can't see the hand, it is a threat to a scene you control until the hand is exposed and found to contained no weapon?

And finally, how many of us, without knowing what was going on in this event, or what was going on in the policeman's mind, have generalized some bad activity by some policeman tguy, or this guy's perceived bad conduct to all other police officers - and then posted it here as our final judgement ...for all to read? Wow.

R-3
There was never any threat, other than an officer trying to invent one to purposely menace and harass a citizen doing nothing illegal. Cops have bad days and make mistakes like all of us do, but the consequences when they do can be tragic for the victims.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
All that said, many people try to setup the police. If the cop tells you to put your hands up, there should be no doubt in your mind that 1. The cop is serious and you are seen as a threat and 2. Stop acting like a threat and put your hands up, not grab your hat, your balls, your friends balls or your cell phone, you risk being shot because of your own stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events