Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:05 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

Are there abuses by CPS and its workers? Yes, absolutely.

Should every child be kept in the custody of his or her biological parent(s), no matter what, unless both parents willingly relinquish custody? Absolutely not!

As it now seems likely that Jody Herring murdered four people, I would say that CPS make the correct call in her case by removing her daughter from her. It is just too bad that the CPS worker, Lara Sobel, had to pay the ultimate price for doing her job, which was to protect children.

My sympathies to the Sobel family AND to Jody Herring's daughter.

P.S. And anyone who says that Lara Sobel deserved to be killed is just . . . well, words fail me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 05:00 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Sure if you take it out of context with the rest of his post.
I can not think of any context in which murder is moral, that being that case, there can be no moral context where murder can be defended or absolved on moral grounds.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
The reason why this woman was initially supported, before it was revealed that she probably murdered her family as well, is because CPS has become too big for their own good. They have tendencies towards usurping parental authority, which to me should be darned near absolute. (Notice I said darned near.) I have children, and unless I'm sending them to school with belt welts and broken bones, I don't think I should have to justify or explain my parenting to ANYBODY. I'm the parent, they're my children, that's that.

Instead, we have a system where people are constantly battling CPS and people snitching on them for things like letting them walk home from the park or from bruises that came from playing ball. It's insulting. Why should I have to justify my parenting style to strangers? "Because there are children who are abused"--okay, on one hand I get that, on the other hand I feel that other people's mistakes aren't reason enough for my family life to be a fishbowl experience full of constant scrutiny. If my child acts up in the store and I feel compelled to give him a pop, why shouldn't I be able to do that? Why can't it be that if someone takes offense to that I can say "parent YOUR children YOUR way, I'll parent MY children MY way" and that be it?

Yes there is such a thing as too much parental authority with too little oversight, but there's also such a thing as too little parental authority with too much oversight. That's where we're at now, and people are fed up, as well they should be.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 AM

377 posts, read 670,301 times
Some of you idiots must not realize that she killed 3 other people as well. But, keep telling yourselves she was an upstanding citizen who really shouldn't have had her kid taken away...

Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
When I was an LEO usually only 1 out of every 100 child welfare calls resulted in a child being taken out of the home. IMO 50% should have occurred based on what I observed and dealt with in regards to the investigations. And no kids don't get taken out for dirty dishes.

This subhuman POS must have been some real piece of work.

I did on several occasions though put a few Child Welfare worker in their place. To the point of getting interviewed by IA on a few. I was always found on solid ground with my admonishments.

I always would have rather dealt with scumbag gang bangers shooting each other than Domestic calls.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
The reason why this woman was initially supported, before it was revealed that she probably murdered her family as well, is because CPS has become too big for their own good. They have tendencies towards usurping parental authority, which to me should be darned near absolute. (Notice I said darned near.) I have children, and unless I'm sending them to school with belt welts and broken bones, I don't think I should have to justify or explain my parenting to ANYBODY. I'm the parent, they're my children, that's that.

Instead, we have a system where people are constantly battling CPS and people snitching on them for things like letting them walk home from the park or from bruises that came from playing ball. It's insulting. Why should I have to justify my parenting style to strangers? "Because there are children who are abused"--okay, on one hand I get that, on the other hand I feel that other people's mistakes aren't reason enough for my family life to be a fishbowl experience full of constant scrutiny. If my child acts up in the store and I feel compelled to give him a pop, why shouldn't I be able to do that? Why can't it be that if someone takes offense to that I can say "parent YOUR children YOUR way, I'll parent MY children MY way" and that be it?

Yes there is such a thing as too much parental authority with too little oversight, but there's also such a thing as too little parental authority with too much oversight. That's where we're at now, and people are fed up, as well they should be.

Amen to this . Case in point those boys in florida . Parental neglect and then the parents get rewarded for being sorry parents aka go fund me account with thousands of dollars in it .

Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
She deserves the death penalty.
I see where you're coming from, but I think her daughter has already been through enough, don't you? She's already lost 4 relatives here.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Well, that isn't going to get them back...what a genius.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What a terrible waste of life at the hands of a deranged woman. Then what I don't get is she has pleaded not guilty?

I think it is time we change the justice system so killers who are caught in the act cannot plead not guilty. I say go ahead and have the trial, find out what motivated her and lock her up for eternity. Better yet save the tax payers and put this animal down.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:52 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What a terrible waste of life at the hands of a deranged woman. Then what I don't get is she has pleaded not guilty?
Perhaps it is because she does not believe that she is guilty or at least not guilty of the crimes that she is charged with. As ridiculous as that may seem to you and I, that is every defendants right.

Quote:
I think it is time we change the justice system so killers who are caught in the act cannot plead not guilty. I say go ahead and have the trial, find out what motivated her and lock her up for eternity. Better yet save the tax payers and put this animal down.
Ah, sorry but no. Caught in the act, the act of what and who gets to decide when such an act is a crime? The police, I think not. The 6th Amendment spells out how we go about determining those questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events