Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

A very unfortunate incident for all involved...

Officials: Mom who lost custody kills kids' services worker

Quote:
A woman who was upset about losing custody of her daughter used a hunting rifle to fatally shoot a child-welfare agency worker who had handled her case, authorities said.

The shooting happened Friday outside a state office building that houses the Department for Children and Families, Gov. Peter Shumlin's office said. The mother, Jody Herring, was detained by people in and around the building after the shooting, police said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 12:08 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
The way they bear false witness to steal children I am surprised it doesn't happen more often. And the parents can jump through every hoop in the case plan trying to get the children back and they will make excuses to terminate parental rights anyway.

I used to try to help mothers get their kids back. They were taken for frivolous reasons like dirty dishes in the sink, stuff that happens from time to time in just about every household without a dishwasher, or the mothers would lose the children after leaving an abusive husband or boyfriend. Every single one of the mothers complied with the case plan. Not a single one of them were able to get their kids back. Not one. I had to stop helping because it was too hard to see them go through that.

My 'favorite' scenario was the ones who left abusers. The mothers were charged with "failure to protect" because the mothers were beaten in the same home with their children. Then, the government gave the children to the abuser because he was considered more stable and she was staying in a battered women's shelter. So, the abuser is considered a better parent than the victim. Someone who beats the children's mother is considered better than the mother who takes the children with her to the shelter to get away from the parent who beats her. Why is the government not guilty of "failure to protect" then? If he's not so bad then why is she being punished for failing to protect her children from him?

States receive federal grant money for each child they steal. It's a cash racket. And a lot of the children end up having to be chemically sedated because they're traumatized so bad from being stolen from their parents.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:13 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
I saw "Officials: Mom who lost custody kills kids" at first and freaked out. Now I'm a little less freaked out.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:04 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
yspobo is exactly correct. This sort of thing is why I've said on many an occasion that CPS needs to be completely abolished or at least severely curtailed. They've become nothing more than a "snitch system" used by vindictive and judgmental people who think it's their mission in life to be "parenting Pharisees" running around calling on people for the stupidest things if they dare to parent differently than they do. CPS is hardly this warm & fuzzy and wonderful organization that saves children from monsters. Often-times they ARE the monster.

And monsters sometimes have to be shot. So there.

Understand--I don't applaud this mainly because once you've done this you can't win. One--if the case was still open, she still had a chance to be victorious in the end, this would ruin it. Two, if the case was closed, doing this wasn't going to reverse that outcome or eliminate CPS altogether (which, again, sometimes I think is what needs to happen). You still have your life to live, and just as people who lose their children to things such as leukemia find the strength to move on and still live their lives, that is what one needs to do in such a case, hard as it may be. Don't throw your life away, even after something this terrible where you think life isn't worth living at that point.

So, in those respects, this was not what she should've done.

However, I can't condemn her morally. What CPS does so much of the time is nothing more than legalized kidnapping. What they often-times do is, to be blunt, just as bad as child abuse. The way it's so easy to report someone for stupid things such as letting one's children play outdoors or walk home half a block from school or the like, it's wrong. Parents like the Meltivs shouldn't have to edit their parenting philosophies due to the threat of a CPS involvement, and yet too often that's what people have to do. It's wrong, and I can't get outraged over this, because frankly someone needed to strike back.

"She was just doing her job," some say. My reply--when your job is to KIDNAP someone's child (which is what I'm going to say this was unless it comes out that the woman had real issues such as drug abuse etc), you lose the right to any sympathy at what happens to you.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
yspobo is exactly correct. This sort of thing is why I've said on many an occasion that CPS needs to be completely abolished or at least severely curtailed. They've become nothing more than a "snitch system" used by vindictive and judgmental people who think it's their mission in life to be "parenting Pharisees" running around calling on people for the stupidest things if they dare to parent differently than they do. CPS is hardly this warm & fuzzy and wonderful organization that saves children from monsters. Often-times they ARE the monster.

And monsters sometimes have to be shot. So there.

Understand--I don't applaud this mainly because once you've done this you can't win. One--if the case was still open, she still had a chance to be victorious in the end, this would ruin it. Two, if the case was closed, doing this wasn't going to reverse that outcome or eliminate CPS altogether (which, again, sometimes I think is what needs to happen). You still have your life to live, and just as people who lose their children to things such as leukemia find the strength to move on and still live their lives, that is what one needs to do in such a case, hard as it may be. Don't throw your life away, even after something this terrible where you think life isn't worth living at that point.

So, in those respects, this was not what she should've done.

However, I can't condemn her morally. What CPS does so much of the time is nothing more than legalized kidnapping. What they often-times do is, to be blunt, just as bad as child abuse. The way it's so easy to report someone for stupid things such as letting one's children play outdoors or walk home half a block from school or the like, it's wrong. Parents like the Meltivs shouldn't have to edit their parenting philosophies due to the threat of a CPS involvement, and yet too often that's what people have to do. It's wrong, and I can't get outraged over this, because frankly someone needed to strike back.

"She was just doing her job," some say. My reply--when your job is to KIDNAP someone's child (which is what I'm going to say this was unless it comes out that the woman had real issues such as drug abuse etc), you lose the right to any sympathy at what happens to you.
Well, let me point out that as flawed as the system is at times, you might prefer dealing with the Dept of Human Services to the police. DHS is geared towards family reunification and making households safe for the kids. They investigate problems reported to them (sometimes) and where they can, they make recommendations to allow the parents a chance to straighten the situation out. They do NOT remove children for dirty dishes in the sink. If the place is too filthy to live in safely, and the parents can't get it together to clean the place up, yeah, it's removal time. But in my state, unless the situation is an immediate threat to the kids, they leave them there and monitor the situation to make sure they follow through. The average parent in my state who loses a kid to CPS has had months or years to get it together and hasn't followed through.

The only alternative to CPS is dealing with the police. They do NOT do prevention or family-reunification work. They are forced to sit back and do nothing until the worst happens, and once a crime has been committed, they arrest and punish. Maybe you'd prefer that -- a kid dead or in the hospital, the parents under arrest. Sounds swell.

As far as the idea of this mom striking back against an unfair system in a way that brightens your day: Do you really think she's ever going to see her kids again after this? You really think this is going to focus attention on the plight of beleaguered parents who have lost their rights to their kids? (And she didn't lose her rights, according to the article -- only custody. She still would have had plenty of chances to get custody back and get CPS off her case.) All she did was prove the state right about taking her kids. I wouldn't trust her with a bowl of goldfish.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Default Mom unhappy with losing custody kills Vt. aid worker

Mom unhappy with losing custody kills Vt. aid worker

The suspect, whose name has not been released, was apprehended following the 4:45 p.m. ET shooting, Barre City Police Chief Tim Bombardier said. The woman who died, whose name also has not been released pending notification of family, had just left the Vermont Department for Children and Families office.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:41 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I do not condone the killing and think the loss of life is sad.

But yeah, Vermont is widely known as a very communistic state. The parent may have took offense at the taking of her child, maybe for a very unjustified reason.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:42 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
However, I can't condemn her morally.
That is about the most amoral comment that I can think of.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Very sad...........

Old 08-08-2015, 08:58 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times
She deserves the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events