Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:54 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
You sound like a patronizing jerk. So don't
I'm not the one ranting that some men won't buy their wives feminine products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez
I agree that a period is nothing to be embarrassed about.
No but what should be embarrassing is NOT DOING SOMETHING TO STOP WHAT HAPPEND TO HER! (Although that really isnt a problem either)

Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
On the one hand, I am a little tired of people implying that women should feel dirty, disgusting, unclean, or ashamed of menstruation. It's perfectly natural and normal.

On the other, I personally feel gross when I'm on my period. I get all bloated, I have a backache, I'm irritable, my breasts hurt, and I mostly just want to lie on the couch in the fetal position with a heating pad on my abdomen and watch TV. Periods SUCK.

Also, tampons/maxi pads exist for a reason. Even if you don't think "bleeding freely" is disgusting, why on earth would you want to destroy your clothes like that? No matter what any stain remover bottle says, nothing ever gets that stain 100% out. Ever.
A soak in cold water and a little laundry detergent works pretty well.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
You all should educate yourself about other cultural and religious beliefs before you jump to the conclusion that a woman getting her period in other countries is not a big deal or does not present problems for those women and girls.
Is this really an issue in London, where she ran this marathon? No. This was a nothing more than a publicity stunt.

If she really wanted to help these women, she'd have organized a supply drive, or organized fundraisers for charities that provide feminine hygiene products and education to women who truly are affected by lack of education and/or supplies.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Is this really an issue in London, where she ran this marathon? No. This was a nothing more than a publicity stunt.

If she really wanted to help these women, she'd have organized a supply drive, or organized fundraisers for charities that provide feminine hygiene products and education to women who truly are affected by lack of education and/or supplies.
If you read my initial post, I said the exact same thing as you did here.

My quote you posted here was speaking to those on this forum who don't realize how serious a problem this is for women and girls in poor countries. Her goal was to bring awareness of the issue to people in the west, but she went about it wrong. Since you didn't read my initial post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Women in third world countries don't have access to sanitary products, often using things like leaves, dirt, old mattress stuffing, or anything they can find. They are using unhealthy materials causing them to get infections. Young girls miss school during their periods because they don't have sanitary products. Sanitary products are also cost-prohibitive to these women and girls.

While I think it's a great idea to bring awareness to poor women in the developing world who don't have access to sanitary products, I don't like the way she went about it. Blood carries infections and disease. She is endangering the health of others by exposing them to her blood. She should've just organized a fundraiser to deliver sanitary products to women who don't have them.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Woman's runs because she can't afford female sanitary products? Yea ok.,

Old 08-12-2015, 02:09 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Does she really think there was no access to feminine hygiene products before the invention of the kind she uses?

That's where the string is attached...she doesn't use any.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Technical, in the absence of her being tested for AIDS/HIV prior to the marathon, she basically created a potential biohazard situation in terms of any blood that escaped her non tamponed vagina during the race.

And some guys have a sexual fetish for situations like that, so she could be charged with some kind is sex offender crime for letting it all flow like that.

Now, on a side note, I was at an 'L7' concert (chick, rock-metal band) in the late 90s, and when I was up front getting pushed by alot of sweaty chicks, a guy yelled something derogatory at the lead singer and she reached under her leather skirt, pulled out her tampon and threw it at the guy before going into the next song. It bounced off him, and three other guys were pushing each other and struggling to secure it.

Now, bloody tampons are not my ideal souvenir to catch at a concert. Although I have a collection of guitar picks I've caught at shows, as well as a drum stick that Nick Menza (Megadeth) threw to me on the Rust In Peace tour and I caught a t-shirt of an opening band that the lead singer/bassist of Nuclear Assault (headliner) blew his nose on and threw at me.

Maybe this chick is trying to get an endorsement deal from a tampon company or was trying to protest wars that are started for oil. . . . Like a blood for oil type thing.

Lots of melodrama going through this thread.
If this woman has all of this going for her she shouldn't need to run commando as she did as she would already be in a hospital for the terminally ill and have 25 charity fundraisers already. She would have been on TV and on the covers of countless magazines with her fame.

If she threw up or made gravy in her drawers all of the bolded would hold true as well. Bodily fluid is bodily fluid.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 PM

400 posts, read 575,667 times
OH MY! So as a woman I'm offended she did this. Sure in poor countries women do lack modern and proper hygiene products but they make do with what they have, scraps of old cloth and rags.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
All these comments prove that this IS an issue that needs awareness raised. Menstruating is NOT dirty. It's a part of life and simple biology but in many countries is another way that women are excluded and marginalized.

Most women wouldn't choose to bleed down their legs. The point of this is that in some countries women lack other options and therefore can't fully participate in society, much less in sports.

Women spend almost a quarter of their lives (from 13-40ish) menstruating. I know idiots who won't even purchase feminine products for their spouse. Grow up!
The UK is not one of those countries. This Kiran Gandhi lady is simply behaving foolishly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events