Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I was fully prepared to support her in her cause but that 4:49 time is a huge turn off. That is about 11 minutes per mile, or barely over walking speed. Granted I don't have experience with menstrual cramps but I ran a marathon with a stress fracture in my foot and finished in 3:37. I had paid the entry fee, and didn't want to waste it after getting the stress fracture in training.

I will say that MIA is one of my favorites, so I won't rag on her too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y
Don't break your arm with all that patting yourself on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Gross way to make a point, but she succeeded because he we are talking about it to people that didn't even realize it was an issue in some parts of the world.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 AM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Holy poop, I hope she doesn't try to raise awareness for those who don't have access to adult diapers.

Mick
Runner Mikael Ekvall did that literally in 2008. She should prepare for a wave of demotivational posters online.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:53 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Her parents must be SOOOO proud....NOT!

Old 08-09-2015, 05:00 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
There must have been a gallons upon gallons of the fiery red fluid nipping at the heels of other runners as a tsunami.

Oh, the humanity.

I wonder if an EPA certified HAZMAT team was called in to sanitize/quarantine the area. Those streets can never be driven on again.

How did they deal with it in medieval times? Swaddling cloth wrapped around a twig and inserted in there?

Actually, tampons are a relatively recent invention (1970s?)

From what I've read on the subject, its most probable that hundreds of years ago they used nothing and just let it flow. Or at least the lower classes did.

Good for this runner. I can't believe that I'm the only female here who was ever made fun of in high school for having blood come through my pants due to a shifted pad, a "full" tampon, etc. If you never have been, count your blessings. It takes embarrassment to a whole new level and is usually OTHER GIRLS who do this type of bullying. Bonus humiliation if it happens in the first few hours of school so that's all you can think about all day.

I think it would be nice to get rid of this stigma. Just look at all the negative posts about menstration on this thread. By these responses, you'd think she ran with diarrhea or something!?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:12 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
That's just crazy. I guess she ran out of things to protest.......

Old 08-09-2015, 05:24 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Pretty stupid IMHO

Old 08-09-2015, 05:32 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
so since i saw this, what am i, the avg. person supposed to do? buy tampons for indian girls? that's as effective as sending a few billion dollars over to africa for "starving" kids and adults, who btw, when fed, turn around and have even more kids, and therefore ask for money in a cycle; something that has been done for about 70 years now and the country is still the same. heck, it's probably worse thanks to nigerian 419 scams. let those people take care of their own problems. another girl trying to gain fame and yes like the topic guy said, make a gofundme account for free money. gotta love those handouts and publicity.

also, the logic behind organized marathons. if you don't run one sponsored by a bank, then it doesn't count? the guy who posted before about not wasting money (read: getting blue chip recognition by pals and anyone he/she has a conversation with) and running with a stress fracture, would it matter if you had done it "unofficially" on your own watch in some backyard jungle? people are just used to and want societal approval so much, it boggles the mind.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
She should have been taken into custody for intentionally subjecting people to body fluids. How nasty and barbaric.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:55 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Actually, tampons are a relatively recent invention (1970s?)

From what I've read on the subject, its most probable that hundreds of years ago they used nothing and just let it flow. Or at least the lower classes did.

Good for this runner. I can't believe that I'm the only female here who was ever made fun of in high school for having blood come through my pants due to a shifted pad, a "full" tampon, etc. If you never have been, count your blessings. It takes embarrassment to a whole new level and is usually OTHER GIRLS who do this type of bullying. Bonus humiliation if it happens in the first few hours of school so that's all you can think about all day.

I think it would be nice to get rid of this stigma. Just look at all the negative posts about menstration on this thread. By these responses, you'd think she ran with diarrhea or something!?

Best case scenario:

It was really an accident, and she handled it by claiming it was "on purpose" when she found out. As a woman who suffers from PCOS, I can relate to having "accidents" that I didn't plan for.

I know the feeling of being bullied for this bodily feature. Since I suffered abnormally heavy periods (probably due to the PCOS) I was often caught in a position where I didn't have time to change and had to endure public humiliation of soiled clothing in high school. It happened, like, right as I started to leave the first class. P.E. was the worst. Exercising meant that I would go about five times as much, and, oh the teasing that ensued when I finally did soil was just awful. I felt like I couldn't even speak to those girls, so I just curled up into my little ball, got better at hiding it, and mastered quick cleanups. I sat out of P.E. a lot because of that and was counted off a lot. The worst thing was no one ever really considered that I had a legitimate medical problem. I guess they just thought I was lazy or forgot my pads or didn't know how to take care of it, or whatever. It was dehumanizing. I've encountered a lot of moments like that, where I had no excuse for my "behavior" yet I could have given a reasonable explanation if I thought anyone would listen. Personally, I hate ignorance in all forms and think people should educate themselves as much as they can and accept what they find, including the fact that bodies are not perfect. Obviously, I didn't enjoy soiling myself, and the communication issues I suffer made escaping the humiliation nearly impossible. I felt like I needed diapers or some other taboo item to keep myself clean throughout the whole day (but that would have lead to more bullying), and the cramps and fatigue were awful. There were days when I hated I had my female organs intact. I got headaches that were like migraines, and I had to go to several classes silently enduring the physical and mental agony.

It was a real relief when I finally told my parents what was going on and someone finally took me to see a doctor. I was given medicine that stopped it the next day, but my problems weren't completely solved. One huge drawback about birth control pills is you have to take them every day, or the period will come back with a vengeance.

Last edited by krmb; 08-09-2015 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events