Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:34 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,652 times

Advertisements

Gross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 04:33 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another "look at me" narcissist. Where's the gofundme account.

Kiran Gandhi, M.I.A. Drummer, Runs London Marathon Without Tampon : People.com
Yewwww. Sounds messy. But she was making a point, I suppose. It worked, because I didn't know the problem existed except in third world countries.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:33 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think the whole thing is ridiculous, but the "OMG, disease!" angle is overplayed. Have any of you ever run a marathon? Diarrhea is fairly common, and that's a whole lot grosser than menstrual blood.
Not really.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
This is just unbelievable. I know of no woman EVER who was embarrassed by her period - annoyed and at times inconvenienced yes, but not embarrassed. This is just disgusting, unsanitary, and what can it possibly do to help women who have no access to hygiene products?

Other cultures deal with these things perhaps differently than we do, but they deal with it. If they had their choice of something to eat or a box of tampons - which do you think they would pick? The reality is that poor countries don't and probably will never have some of the convenience items that we enjoy here in the states or in Europe. Running a race "commando" will NOT change that....

Can we just not live our lives please without having to be "aware" of something or somebody for criminy sakes?
I agree with you.

Guess what folks? Women have been having periods since the beginning of time. They ALREADY have ways of dealing with it without the need of commercial, corporate products. Menstrual cups, reusable cloths, etc.

This just makes the lady in the article appear to be completely ignorant and out of touch with the reality of the women she claims to support.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:50 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
Technical, in the absence of her being tested for AIDS/HIV prior to the marathon, she basically created a potential biohazard situation in terms of any blood that escaped her non tamponed vagina during the race.

And some guys have a sexual fetish for situations like that, so she could be charged with some kind is sex offender crime for letting it all flow like that.

Now, on a side note, I was at an 'L7' concert (chick, rock-metal band) in the late 90s, and when I was up front getting pushed by alot of sweaty chicks, a guy yelled something derogatory at the lead singer and she reached under her leather skirt, pulled out her tampon and threw it at the guy before going into the next song. It bounced off him, and three other guys were pushing each other and struggling to secure it.

Now, bloody tampons are not my ideal souvenir to catch at a concert. Although I have a collection of guitar picks I've caught at shows, as well as a drum stick that Nick Menza (Megadeth) threw to me on the Rust In Peace tour and I caught a t-shirt of an opening band that the lead singer/bassist of Nuclear Assault (headliner) blew his nose on and threw at me.

Maybe this chick is trying to get an endorsement deal from a tampon company or was trying to protest wars that are started for oil. . . . Like a blood for oil type thing.

Last edited by Skydive Outlaw; 08-08-2015 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 05:01 PM

849 posts, read 269,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another "look at me" narcissist. Where's the gofundme account.

Kiran Gandhi, M.I.A. Drummer, Runs London Marathon Without Tampon : People.com
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE TODAY?

"I ran with blood dripping down my legs for sisters who don't have access to tampons and sisters who, despite cramping and pain, hide it away and pretend like it doesn't exist."

Do you honestly think there is man on the planet that doesn't have some idea of what PMS is? They've either had sisters or girlfriends...THEY GET IT. Everyone on the planet gets it so if that is half your argument for doing this COMPLETE ATTENTION GETTING STUNT.

And other half of your argument about "sisters access to feminine products," why not mention those countries on your running clothes? Oh that's right, that would take away from your sponsors space.

And shame on you with Harvard degree choosing this as way to raise awareness! I just lost a lot of respect for what Harvard is graduating nowadays.

Efffing hypocrisy....MAKES ME SICK!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:30 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Smells! Flies! Dogs? Oh, my!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:31 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I once ran a mile with a bloody nose but that was because 3 bullies were chasing me.
So why is that less gross besides the difference in mileage?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Technical, in the absence of her being tested for AIDS/HIV prior to the marathon, she basically created a potential biohazard situation in terms of any blood that escaped her non tamponed vagina during the race.
While it's gross, I fail to see how her blood stained pants could infect the people around her with anything.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:49 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,986 times
In true style, she is in control of her own body, such that it is. It's her body right? Fits in with the other fools crapping their shorts for half the run. A good followup to the other half that aren't crapping on themselves and instead heave their stomach contents every city block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events