Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 06:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,915,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I want us to investigate every police shooting where the victim is unarmed. Why must every altercation include the use of a gun? We clearly need better training.
ok...YOU do it
for $30k a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,915,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
No...I didn't say that. I said there are consequences to not obeying the law. And one of them can be your life in the wrong situation. Officer says hands up...hands up. Its not hard folks.
um..apparently it is

Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
With millions of arrests each year in the US there are only so many shootings and most of them are pretty cut and dry like how they shot the escaped prisoner up around NY.

Then you have a tiny amount where the cop is dirty and shoots the guy for fun or whatever.

Then you have a tiny amount where the unarmed person tries to overpower the police and gets shot "unarmed"

Then you have a tiny amount where the cop is either poorly trained, panics or otherwise screws up and shoots someone.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem is, even though many (probably most) white people aren't individually racist, we live in a society with racist systems and most white people benefit from them, we all need to work on dismantling institutional racism. If you live in the US you are part of our general racist society.

I used to live in SC, and even managed to have diverse friends there. As you can imagine, over the past few months conversations, particularly on social media have ranged from disturbing to difficult to hurtful to others making me want to remove people from my friends list. But there have been positive conversation and a lot of people have become more open and willing to be less complicit in our racist systems.

We never know how much reality is in any one persons internet posts. Even though I maybe responding directly to you, the message is meant for the collective you.

P.S. I have submitted to the Race Card Project!
While there is racism in the US, both with people and institutions, be careful of your own perceptions.

I say that because the media tends to really like to run with topics, kinda like the "wave of shark attacks".

This is the same media that starts running with stories of "wilding" and suddenly a relatively small number of events is a national crime problem running rampant.

Lastly, most of the backlash over this topic from "white society" is stemming from the attempts to turn every single shooting into a racist incident. Heck, when the Mike Brown footage of the "gentle giant" came out people had already been selling the narrative how the cop had to be lying because he was so gentle and then they called the footage "faked" by the governmentt and so forth. No, it wasn't and no he wasn't.

There is progress that needs to be made. Denial that there isn't is a problem for whites to grow past. Trying to pin all the bad actions on racism is a problem for blacks to grow past.

Personally, I agree with Bernie Sanders that most of the issue is economics which are the result of historic racism. Unfortunately, many endemic problems with blacks are rooted in democratic bastions where they have little political clout.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:48 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,940,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Had he been convicted of something?
He'd been on probation for a previous incident. The article says he was never convicted of anything in the past, but he wouldn't be on probation if he hadn't been convicted, correct?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,488,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
He couldn't exercise his Fifth Amendment rights, because the cops deprived him of the chance.

You really do hate the constitution, don't you? Must be miserable to be living in a constitutional democracy, when you rather be living in a fascist authoritarian police state where people are executed with no trial.

Using the constitution as a defense for Taylor's actions is magnificent

Whether or not the shooting was justified is unknown, but please, even you must know there are times when cops and regular people can use deadly force. When a guy acts crazy, doesn't obey orders while he's caught committing a felony and altercates with a cop, he greatly increases the chances that he'll end up remaining silent.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:21 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,488,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
He'd been on probation for a previous incident. The article says he was never convicted of anything in the past, but he wouldn't be on probation if he hadn't been convicted, correct?
One article stated that in 12/14, Taylor was sentenced to six months deferred adjudication for possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor. The charge was dismissed when he completed probation.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Agreed that it would have been preferable if he could have exercised his 5th amendment rights and had a trial after arrested on the charges of trespassing, vandalism, etc.

Do not agree that a cop should refrain from using deadly force if his/her life is being threatened just so the perp has the opportunity to go to court for yet another charge: assault/death of a police officer.

What I'm murky on is deadly force because someone is resisting arrest. Seems to be there is a difference between running away (where some people have been shot, in the back) and not complying versus aggression that could be very injurious or lethal to the police officer. If one person has to die, why does it have to be the cop? Cops take one for the team on a regular basis, but they don't have to willingly offer themselves up if they can save their own lives.
I agree with all of this, and since all we know is that there was some sort of "struggle" inside the showroom, according to the police report, we don't know if that struggle needed to be addressed with deadly force or not.

The toxicology and autopsy reports will tell a lot.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
With millions of arrests each year in the US there are only so many shootings and most of them are pretty cut and dry like how they shot the escaped prisoner up around NY.

Then you have a tiny amount where the cop is dirty and shoots the guy for fun or whatever.

Then you have a tiny amount where the unarmed person tries to overpower the police and gets shot "unarmed"

Then you have a tiny amount where the cop is either poorly trained, panics or otherwise screws up and shoots someone.
Right - and don't forget those situations in which police officers are killed. Gotta factor those in as well.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Why wasn't the headlines..."Attempted burglary thwarted by police. Suspect shot after damaging cars and dealership building" ?

That's really what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events