Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I do agree with you on this point. It's like malpractice with physicians and dentists. They are judged by a panel of their peers, and then bad doctors keep practicing (some even kill people)

By the way, there have been many (too many) investigations into the Benghazi scandal. As a taxpayer, I want my money to go to solving real issues like unemployment, poverty and health care. Spending a fortune that could be used better elsewhere to make life miserable for one politician is wasteful and unnecessary. Funny that Republicans are more concerned a lot more about the lives of 4 Americans than the 6,800 troops killed in Iraq & Afghanistan.

This isn't the political forum, so I shouldn't be discussing this, but you brought up the subject.
That is politics for you. There is no money for many worthwhile projects but an endless amount to discredit the opposition. Look at how much have been spent (hours, money) in the House to repeal Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Ah! There in lies the problem. No department should investigate itself. There should be a civilian review board to probe any police misconduct. That board would also have the authority to appointment a special prosecutor to pursue necessary charges when warranted. Neither the board nor the special prosecutor should have a scintilla of connection to the police department.

Citizens should never trust the results of an in house investigation by the police department.
I found this article last week and, since we're discussing this matter, thought I'd post a link. It's a few years old, but it still applies today. I believe the increase in police shootings is a problem that applies to ALL people, not just African-Americans. We can't resolve a national problem if we are divided and turn every police involved shooting into a racial matter.

[url=http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-many-americans-the-police-kill-each-year/]Nobody Knows How Many Americans The Police Kill Each Year | FiveThirtyEight[/url]

Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
That is not true at all. Some states actually have a investigation bureau run by the state that do the officer involved shooting investigations.

Not necessarily. Officer involved shootings are complex investigations that requires specialized knowledge and training.
"Some" or "most"? And again, isn't it still composed of people associated with police organizations?

No. The collection of evidence may require specialized knowledge, just as in a case that goes before a criminal court. However, the decision making process does not have to be by fellow law enforcement agents.

You appear to be in favor of procedures that encourage coverups.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:04 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
One less piece of garbage means one step closer to a safer America.
I'm curious. Do you identify as a Christian?

Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I do agree with you on this point. It's like malpractice with physicians and dentists. They are judged by a panel of their peers, and then bad doctors keep practicing (some even kill people)

By the way, there have been many (too many) investigations into the Benghazi scandal. As a taxpayer, I want my money to go to solving real issues like unemployment, poverty and health care. Spending a fortune that could be used better elsewhere to make life miserable for one politician is wasteful and unnecessary. Funny that Republicans are a lot more concerned about the lives of 4 Americans than the 6,800 troops killed in Iraq & Afghanistan.

This isn't the political forum, so I shouldn't be discussing this, but you brought up the subject.
Yes, I brought it up because the principle is the same.

Your analogy with doctors is a perfect example.

It's very similar in education. When I would be hiring teachers, department chairs would want to sit in on interviews. I rarely allowed it because a teacher will usually choose a teacher candidate who teaches like they teach...or who is around the same age that they are...or is of the same race as they are, etc. My predecessor allowed chairs to sit in on interviews and help make decisions. I could always predict exactly who they would choose before they even opened their mouth after the interviews. And it isn't necessarily a conspiracy. It's a tendency for most people to like what is similar to their own characteristics, rather than having the ability to look at something/someone different and feel welcoming of the idea or person.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I found this article last week and, since we're discussing this matter, thought I'd post a link. It's a few years old, but it still applies today. I believe the increase in police shootings is a problem that applies to ALL people, not just African-Americans. We can't resolve a national problem if we are divided and turn every police involved shooting into a racial matter.

Nobody Knows How Many Americans The Police Kill Each Year | FiveThirtyEight
Very interesting article. Thank you for posting it.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"Some" or "most"? And again, isn't it still composed of people associated with police organizations?
You said "Yes, all shootings by police are investigated by...other police in the same police force." I posted how that is not true. The state doing investigations is not in the same agency as local PD.

Quote:
No. The collection of evidence may require specialized knowledge, just as in a case that goes before a criminal court. However, the decision making process does not have to be by fellow law enforcement agents.
Collection of evidence does require specialized knowledge and training. Decision making is done by the leaders just like any other organization.

Quote:
You appear to be in favor of procedures that encourage coverups.
Cover ups can be done by anyone including civilians.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:12 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I totally get that this kid was out of control and needed to be arrested but I am not getting why the cop shot him dead.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
You said "Yes, all shootings by police are investigated by...other police in the same police force." I posted how that is not true. The state doing investigations is not in the same agency as local PD.

Collection of evidence does require specialized knowledge and training. Decision making is done by the leaders just like any other organization.

Cover ups can be done by anyone including civilians.
When I hear this kind of skating around the issue, I'm tempted to just say take every police officer who shoots someone, whether the perp is killed or wounded, before the grand jury.

And if y'all don't start straightening the situation out voluntarily, that's exactly the general direction in which things are headed.

Clean it up, or it will be cleaned up for you. You're either part of the solution, or part of the problem.

It's interesting to me that some of the same people who hate unions, endorse what police unions do. It shows a lack principles.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I totally get that this kid was out of control and needed to be arrested but I am not getting why the cop shot him dead.
This ^^^^ x 1,000.

Why didn't the cop call for backup? Did he try to calm him down? Figure out if he was on drugs or having a mental health episode?

Does the cop claim he thought the guy was armed? If so, based on what? Yes, the guy could have been charged with any number of crimes, but that has NOTHING to do with what happens at the time of arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events