Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
It's a national park created specifically for humans to visit, and for animals to thrive in. Which means that both the human and animal behavior must be regulated. If a predator in the park develops taste for humans it must be destroyed. That simple. If you don't like it then you're welcome to buy Yellowstone and close it to general public.

Then we should have the right to destroy those who take selfies in front of a wild animal. Once again animals ONLY kill for two reason. Use common sense when you go to places like Yellowstone. Number one rule, DONT" go alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 05:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:

And btw, if it wasn't for the sport hunters, there wouldn't be any national parks. The wild life needs to be managed, just like human actions in the national parks need to be regulated. A predatory animal that developed the taste for human flesh should be put down. That simple.

No, the real problem is that humans are overpopulated to the point where they are moving into more & more places where there are wild animals. Yes, this is the typical (the animals were there first) If people could stop having so many kids then just maybe we wouldn't have to keep moving deeper & deeper into their homes. Again visiting is fine but have some common sense about it. I've been hiking for a very long time now & have come upon some animals before never once had a bad encounter with a animal part of that is luck the other part is knowing how to handle myself.

It's a two way street.

Last edited by reed067; 08-27-2015 at 05:14 AM..

Old 08-27-2015, 05:32 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No, the real problem is that humans are overpopulated to the point where they are moving into more & more places where there are wild animals. Yes, this is the typical (the animals were there first) If people could stop having so many kids then just maybe we wouldn't have to keep moving deeper & deeper into their homes. Again visiting is fine but have some common sense about it. I've been hiking for a very long time now & have come upon some animals before never once had a bad encounter with a animal part of that is luck the other part is knowing how to handle myself.

It's a two way street.
Let's introduce mandatory abortions to help the wild bear population, after all human and animals have the same rights. Let's start with welfare breeding farms. Would this make you happy ?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
Let's not forget that bears in Yellowstone are thriving, and not by feeding on people. So this incident is more about how to be careful when hiking in Bear Country rather than how to trim the human population.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:57 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
In one of our nightly Ranger programs at Yellowstone, we had a Ranger give a segment on Bear Safety. He said that he never walks from his car to his office without his Bear Spray in his holster. He said we have taken it out of the holster, but no one has had to use it.

He said, "follow the common sense rules, check with us before you enter an area, and you will be fine." He said bears are not there to eat us, but they try to avoid us.

One day I went kayaking at Two-Ocean Lake in Grand Teton. I checked in with the ranger. She said "that area in the back has plenty of bear activity."

I wanted to have lunch there, but I decided not to, and rather had lunch at the launch site, with bear spray nearby. I had no intentions of sharing it with the bear. Yes, I was alone. I hike alone. I have seen plenty of people hike alone in bear country. But most seem prepared and alert. I was just hiking / climbing in Idaho Sawtooths, and bear spray was the first thing my hands touch.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,076 times
Quote:
As I said, the people making these statements have likely all grown in a city.

I can't imagine anyone who grew up outdoors idealizing nature in such a childish way.

Nature must both be protected and protected from.
Just to clarify, the part of my response the individual quoted to ridicule was in reply to part of NY to Chicago's post and not re. this bear incident. And I really don't believe objecting to pollution and environmental destruction is idealizing nature.

Quote:
NY to Chicago

Lets list all the accomplishments/achievements/technological advancements effecting this planet that Human beings have contributed and compare that to what every other animal species has contributed (living purely on instinct, day to day behavior with no concept of long term influence etc)....and tell me with a straight face that animals are "more valuable" than Humans....Lmao Leftism is truly a mental disorder
to which my full reply was:

Quote:
The main problem with humans is our refusal to live in harmony with nature, which is starting to bite us in the a$$ big time. It is really stupid and short-sighted to pollute our air, our water supplies, poison the soil, cut down forests and build yet more churches and strip malls and subdivisions and frack and drill and throw plastic in the ocean and dump waste in rivers and use pesticides, etc. We are part of nature, no getting around that. All the technology and inventiveness in the world can't clean up the mess we've already made nor support the constant increase in humans on a planet that is already overburdened.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
"(O)ur (alleged) refusal to live in harmony with nature." Utterly ridiculous, touchy-feely and meaningless statement.
Yes, you are right, we humans certainly live in harmony with nature. Only utterly ridiculous, touchy-feely people would disagree with that.
I love nature. I don't worship it. We as humans have a right to be here. Coyotes' rights don't trump human rights.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:45 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Hiker Killed by Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone National Park - ABC News

Bear traps have been set in the area, Yellowstone said, adding that "if bears are trapped and identified as having been involved in the attack, they will be euthanized."

“We may not be able to conclusively determine the circumstances of this bear attack, but we will not risk public safety,” Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk said in a statement. “We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victim as they work to cope with the loss of someone who loved Yellowstone so very much

This makes me boil that they would be euthanized. Hikers are in their territory.
I have been to Yosemite, Yellowstone--no way am I going to hike, not willing to take the risk. I don't think it is fair it one decides to take the risk and a bear attacks, the bear will be punished.
Man is superior to bear, man gets attacked by bear, man gets revenge on bears. That cycle will never cease til the bears become the superior race.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You know how there are tree huggers who save trees. How about some bear huggers? Volunteers?

Mick
IDK if I'd want to get that close, but I am of the mindset that, when you are in a wild animal's territory/habitat, it's anything goes. You want to flirt with danger, don't blame the animal for acting like an animal.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Do you understand why a bear is euthanized after they attack a human? Because they are more likely to attack a human again if left alive.

Park Rangers would rather not kill a bear, but the importance of public safety and the risk of litigation if said bear would attack again is not worth the cost.
Humans need to stay the hell out of wild animals' territory if they don't want to get attacked.

I think that theory carries as much weight as the "taste of blood" malarkey with dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events