Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think that letter was a joke.

One can only hope. Yet there are people out there who have watched one to many Disney movies and expect the animals to starting singing when they see them. Not really but they do tend to miss the point that ANY animal in the wild is... wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 04:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
One can only hope. Yet there are people out there who have watched one to many Disney movies and expect the animals to starting singing when they see them. Not really but they do tend to miss the point that ANY animal in the wild is... wild.
That applies with greater force to those that try to make chimpanzees into pets; until they really go "ape." Remember the famous Travis the Chimp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc

Last edited by jbgusa; 08-24-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That applies with greater force to those that try to make chimpanzees into pets; until they really go "ape." Remember the famous Travis the Chimp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc
Was that the woman who got her face ripped off?

Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Was that the woman who got her face ripped off?
Yes. The chimp got a bit feisty.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
And only using 1/4 of our brains is sufficient enough to design/implement a weapon that kills bears.
Exactly. I get tired of what Rush Limbaugh used to call these "animal rights wackos" who don't have the innate sense of morality and understanding that the rest of us do that humans are more important than any animal will ever be. I'm not trying to make this a political or "rah rah Trump" type of discussion at all, simply saying that he coined that phrase and I absolutely love it.

I realize Yosemite isn't Disneyland and that it's more "natural," but it's also a spot where a lot of humans come for a vacation and for seeing the natural beauty of the outdoors. We have that RIGHT, period. We don't need to ask any bear's permission. I do agree that we shouldn't litter and trash such a place or try and scale a waterfall only to then wonder why we just died basically, but this idea that it's the bear's "house" and we should just let bears eat people or whatever and we can't defend ourselves, that's a bunch of idiotic lunacy.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:51 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Hiker Killed by Grizzly Bear in Yellowstone National Park - ABC News

Bear traps have been set in the area, Yellowstone said, adding that "if bears are trapped and identified as having been involved in the attack, they will be euthanized."

“We may not be able to conclusively determine the circumstances of this bear attack, but we will not risk public safety,†Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Dan Wenk said in a statement. “We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victim as they work to cope with the loss of someone who loved Yellowstone so very much

This makes me boil that they would be euthanized. Hikers are in their territory.
I have been to Yosemite, Yellowstone--no way am I going to hike, not willing to take the risk. I don't think it is fair it one decides to take the risk and a bear attacks, the bear will be punished.

The body was partially consumed and covered. This bear has turned maneater. No different than a lion or tiger that has done so and when an animal turns this way they WILL do it again. With no hesitation. Such an animal has to be tracked down and put down. End of line. This animal did not attack because this man was "in its territory. He was easy pickings. Bear in mind the bear ate him and covered what was left for later. This is a predatory trait of Grizzlies. These bears do nor coexist well with humans anyway, and turning maneater cannot be tolerated.

Like it or not human life and interests come first, wherever we may roam. I spent most of my life living in close proximity to wild animals. I have had to track down stock killing mountain lions because they exceeded their mandate. predator loss is something that I accepted as a reality, but when certain limits are crossed...the cat or the coyotes gotta go. One cat slaughtered an entire pen of a neighbors sheep and had killed both calves and foals on our spread. I called up an Indian buddy who is a tracker beyond compare and a very close friend and we formed a posse. Got the cat to. An old tom with a hurt leg.

Sad? Yea, I guess. But it happens. The bear in question here is a stone cold killer. This can't just be taken as an acceptable loss. This bear has to be identified and shot dead. I would readily join the hunt. Read up a bit on what man eating apex predator animals do. Grizzlies are on the historical list. It's not just something that happens with lions and leapords in Africa and tigers in India. And it's a horrifying thing. These animals won't quit. They will actively seek out humans wherever they may be. This bear will go on to attacking in populated campgrounds in the park ripping people from their tents.

The people who know and understand these animals are in charge and they understand the gravity of the situation. I totally trust their judgment. This bear is a huge danger to the safety of human life. Goodbye.....

Old 08-25-2017, 12:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The body was partially consumed and covered. This bear has turned maneater. No different than a lion or tiger that has done so and when an animal turns this way they WILL do it again. With no hesitation. Such an animal has to be tracked down and put down. ...

Lions and tigers are obligate carnivores, as are all felines, and eating a human body is no different from eating any other mammal to them. It's all meat.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:20 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Lions and tigers are obligate carnivores, as are all felines, and eating a human body is no different from eating any other mammal to them. It's all meat.

No. It is not. And Grizzlies, though they eat other than meat, prefer it to anything else and are apex carnivores at heart. Bone up a bit on the man eater phenomena. It is just that. A phenomena. It is not an instinctive act that sees all prey as equal. Did you read my entire post? When an animal turns man eater it can not always be scientifically explained. I.E. my reference to the Tsavo incident made so famous in film. The verified death toll was around 28, but did not take into account many other deaths. Patterson counted 135. Many were killed but not eaten.

Only the ones who wound up in the digestive tracts of these two lions went into official record. There are a LOT of other cases of man eating and man killing animals, Grizzlies included, that made a habit of it. Once they start, they will not stop. Their reasons are there own, and are often a mystery. Animals that do this often do so just because they can.

I'm sorry but your post is lacking in actual historical fact regarding predators formidable enough to do so that turn to human prey. And the action that had to be taken to stop them from doing so. The simple reason they act this way that you posted does not come close to covering all the bases. My knowledge of man eaters comes from reading historical accounts. My knowledge of thrill killers comes from firsthand, real world experience. They share a common thread. Once they start they don't stop.

So my question is this: How many people should we write off as acceptable losses when an animal starts killing people? Your rationale suggests there is no limit to this number. With all due respect I must most vehemently disagree. Left to its own devices to continue on, the bear at issue here WILL kill again. It will actively seek out human prey wherever it can find it. Including crowded public campgrounds where it will peel open tents and yank people from their sleeping bags.

So to your line of thinking is this acceptable as loss to attrition based on an animal seeing "Meat as meat?" That doesn't correlate to the actions and methodology found in the history of man eaters.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:19 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The body was partially consumed and covered. This bear has turned maneater. No different than a lion or tiger that has done so and when an animal turns this way they WILL do it again. With no hesitation. Such an animal has to be tracked down and put down. End of line. This animal did not attack because this man was "in its territory. He was easy pickings. Bear in mind the bear ate him and covered what was left for later. This is a predatory trait of Grizzlies. These bears do nor coexist well with humans anyway, and turning maneater cannot be tolerated.

Like it or not human life and interests come first, wherever we may roam. I spent most of my life living in close proximity to wild animals. I have had to track down stock killing mountain lions because they exceeded their mandate. predator loss is something that I accepted as a reality, but when certain limits are crossed...the cat or the coyotes gotta go. One cat slaughtered an entire pen of a neighbors sheep and had killed both calves and foals on our spread. I called up an Indian buddy who is a tracker beyond compare and a very close friend and we formed a posse. Got the cat to. An old tom with a hurt leg.

Sad? Yea, I guess. But it happens. The bear in question here is a stone cold killer. This can't just be taken as an acceptable loss. This bear has to be identified and shot dead. I would readily join the hunt. Read up a bit on what man eating apex predator animals do. Grizzlies are on the historical list. It's not just something that happens with lions and leapords in Africa and tigers in India. And it's a horrifying thing. These animals won't quit. They will actively seek out humans wherever they may be. This bear will go on to attacking in populated campgrounds in the park ripping people from their tents.

The people who know and understand these animals are in charge and they understand the gravity of the situation. I totally trust their judgment. This bear is a huge danger to the safety of human life. Goodbye.....
Wrong premise on the facts of this 2015 incident in Yellowstone.

I went camping in Yellowstone one week after this incident on 2015. It also happened that my campground (Bridge Bay) was 1-2 miles away from the location of the conflict -- Elephant Back Mountain. Obviously I asked about it. What I learned paints a very different picture.

The man the grizzly partially consumed was in the 60s and was an employee of the Park. This man was also an amateur photographer and avid hiker. He would hike often after work in the area, and knew the area and the animals very well. He also often hiked off-trail, which is of-course a no-no.

Grizzly wasn't just one grizzly --it was a mamma grizzly with two cubs. When Rangers found the remains, they also found photographs of this grizzly family.

Rangers concluded that this was more than photographing the bears -- he was looking for them, following them. Two guys who worked there told me that the man was basically harassing the bear and its cubs.

Mamma grizzly and both cubs fed on the man after killing him. Rangers surely killed the mamma bear but not the cubs. They relocated the cubs to a zoo in Ohio.

I was back at Yellowstone three weeks ago, and spoke to some other people. They didn't know I already knew the story, so they told that to me again. Version had not changed.

This story never made it to the press obviously, so many people do not know the details of this story, and go off wrong premises, and spiral their logic out of control.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:25 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
What makes humans all that superior to the other animals? Many can see better, run faster, swim better, hunt better, hear better, fly, teach their young more quickly, have built in warming and cooling systems, are stronger than humans and are more peaceful towards one another.

All we humans have are our brains and we don't use them half as well as other animals use their attributes.
The opposable thumb helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events