Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
Most of the people I see that hate police had issues with the police in the first place. They are only being more vocal about it since these useless protests started. No third party panel(guess you're referring to civilian review board) should have the power to determine punishment for anything. Why should people (volunteers) who have mostly zero knowledge about law enforcement be given the power to determine punishments? They can be just as corrupted and biased in their thinking.

You do know courts are filled with people who have mostly zero knowledge about laws and law enforcement as jurors, right? And that they're weeded out if they're biased?

NO WAY should cops have others in law enforcement deciding anything. That's been the biggest part of the problem all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 PM

601 posts, read 460,189 times
Cops have been able to get away with a lot of BS over the years. A lot of times they cover for each other. Karma is a -----!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 PM

299 posts, read 187,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You do know courts are filled with people who have mostly zero knowledge about laws and law enforcement as jurors, right? And that they're weeded out if they're biased?
Jurors are not the same thing as a civilian review board. They are using laws to determine things in the court of law and jurors are given quite a bit of instructions. Nice try

Quote:
NO WAY should cops have others in law enforcement deciding anything. That's been the biggest part of the problem all along.
Detectives are the ones that do the investigations and will continue to be that way. No (volunteer) civilian review board should have the power to determine a punishment. Their purpose is to review and make recommendation. Corruption is the problem. All the successful review boards out there don't even have such powers.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
When we talk about cops "hesitating" to use force. Good. It means some thought is occurring. Yes some cops might die-its a tough job that way, and I'd rather they didn't die, BUT....I also know that our police not hesitating to use force doesn't lead us to a good path either.

And all policing is local. Some areas are better then others, some departments are amazing. Some arent.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
Jurors are not the same thing as a civilian review board. They are using laws to determine things in the court of law and jurors are given quite a bit of instructions. Nice try

Detectives are the ones that do the investigations and will continue to be that way. No (volunteer) civilian review board should have the power to determine a punishment. Their purpose is to review and make recommendation. Corruption is the problem. All the successful review boards out there don't even have such powers.

A board could have someone consulting them on law, and also be given instructions.

Chicago has the IPRA - Independent Police Review Authority - and out of 400 cases, the IPRA sided with the cops all but one time.

One member who served was told he better stop voting against the police and was finally fired.

So much for these independent boards.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:54 PM

299 posts, read 187,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A board could have someone consulting them on law, and also be given instructions.

Chicago has the IPRA - Independent Police Review Authority - and out of 400 cases, the IPRA sided with the cops all but one time.

One member who served was told he better stop voting against the police and was finally fired.

So much for these independent boards.
I used to live there so I know corruption run strong through all levels in Chicago. Though I thought it was more than just one time

Old 08-11-2015, 03:02 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Fox broadcast it several times today...

The pulse out there can make police hesitant... hesitancy can kill... and nearly did here...
The photographers of this incident are low lifes.. and one can hope karma finds them appropriately for not helping the protectors
What kind of lowlife scumbag photographs another human being in that situation, offers no aid, and then posts it on social media to make fun of? A sociopath. Someone with absolutely no conscience or empathy towards one's fellow man.

One in every 25 people have this personality disorder, though not all of them are killers.

It is my hope that body cameras will put an end to the hesitancy when there should be none, the unnecessary brutality that give police a bad name in the first place, and the protests if in fact it was a good shoot.

If Darren Wilson was wearing a body cam that day in Ferguson, we would not be seeing this mess we have today. Either way. Justified or not.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
I want to see the body cams on every single cop and if I were a cop, I'd buy my own.

I honestly don't think these people will even accept the live footage. There is always going to be an excuse among that mentality of thugs.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Count me in with the pro body-cam camp. The situations our LEOs are often diving into are chaotic and dangerous. Too often emotions run high on both sides, so we as a populace need some form of evidence before coming to any conclusions.

I like the panel idea, but couldn't it be partially comprised of police, and partially comprised of civilians? People won't trust any sort of review board if it's populated completely by LEO. There are too many instances like Samuel Dubose where other officers at the scene lied in their written reports. If it weren't for the body camera, no one would've known he was murdered by someone in a uniform.

https://news.vice.com/article/cops-w...ootage-emerges

Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Where are the pages and pages of outrage?
Why should "we" be outraged? This individual that did this is mentally ill, acted alone and will now face justice. He doesn't represent us and he deserves nothing more than to face the justice system. Luckily the detective is still alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I think the police should pull back from the "urban community" for a while...say four months or so.
I think your idea is silly and stupid. This individual does not get to determine the sworn duty the police have to protect our city. Nor does that change because of a few dumb comments on social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events