Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:36 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,704,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Then blame the source. That isn't what is going on here, it is money. A good employee would see where the problem started, not where it ended and then seek recourse there. IF they were a good employee.
I don't follow. If he keeps getting "banned" from making certain routes maybe that Lowe's location decides they can't afford to keep him sitting around because of so many racist jackasses in the area calling in requesting white males, or Protestants, or statuesque blondes with big rear ends.

A good employee for Lowe's who is an equal opportunity employer that passes the pee test and can do the job should be able to do all deliveries. Customers don't get to change corporate policy over BS like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,717,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Why? Why do you care whether someone is prejudiced against Jews, Catholics, whites, blacks, etc? People still have the right to say and think what they want, whether you agree with it or whether you're offended by it.
Reread her post. She said "if someone looks at her name tag," meaning that she's very likely within earshot of such a backward statement, as well as the field of view of the person expressing said statement. It's not the same as someone tweeting it out from Butte, Montana and hiding behind their phone/computer screen.

I don't care how pro-First Amendment anyone is, if someone says something obviously directed at/toward you and you hear it, you feel that thing.

And I would hope her company would protect its workers as well.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:48 PM

35,563 posts, read 20,897,588 times
HD would have returned the money- they are very very high on ALL INCLUSIVE_ saw a 17yr mgr fired on the spot for some "color"joke-- I pt at both- normally- they do not play those games- and sell enough-- mdse- to not have to cater to that- crap

Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't follow. If he keeps getting "banned" from making certain routes maybe that Lowe's location decides they can't afford to keep him sitting around because of so many racist jackasses in the area calling in requesting white males, or Protestants, or statuesque blondes with big rear ends.

A good employee for Lowe's who is an equal opportunity employer that passes the pee test and can do the job should be able to do all deliveries. Customers don't get to change corporate policy over BS like that.

Yes.

We saw it on the news this evening. One of the drivers (white) who was supposed to accompany the other white "replacement" driver, refused to go. I felt bad for the man in question.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,302,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The customer is always right. I agree.
No, they are not. Customers are human beings, and human beings aren't always right, hence the customer is NOT always right--and to be really blunt, sometimes they need to be TOLD so.

I hate it when people say this, as if it gives customers carte blanche to do anything they wish. What if a male customer asks a female cashier to get closer so he can fondle her breasts, is she supposed to allow that because "the customer is always right?" What if a customer asks a food service person to give them 12 free burgers for their friends, because "I'm the customer and I'm always right?" I suppose if a customer asks a service worker to walk 15 miles in the rain to pick up their lost shipment, they should submit because "the customer is always right?"

No, they are NOT always right, and in cases like this, they should be TOLD so, and NOT in that "fake polite" tone, you know, "I'm sorry, Mr/Ms Customer, but due to Title XI of the US Constitution we're not allowed to fulfill your request." No, sometimes they need to be told "We don't pander to racism, and what you are asking for is an insult to our employees who are trying to do a good job even for racist scumbags like yourself."

Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
I'm wondering if someone misunderstood white glove delivery...

Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 PM

50,466 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
My home state is so bipolar. I grew up in Hampton Roads and now live in Northern VA and these are two of the most racially tolerant areas of the country IMO. Now go in between I-81 and I-95 and stay below I-64, different story, hell, a different part of time.
Very true. I lived in NOVA, but when I would get to other parts of the state I almost expected to see tobacco plantations.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:23 PM

113 posts, read 223,033 times
I think the correct response would be to let the customer know that the product is currently on a delivery truck, and if they want it that day, they get those drivers. If they don't want those drivers, they are welcome to come pick up the product later - otherwise we will be glad to refund your money. It would be reasonable to not agree to re-schedule a delivery based on a flat-out racist request like this.

And for anyone who thinks this is anything other than racism... you make me sad for the future of our world.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,311,680 times
I don't think the manager had ill-intentions and I see his actions as protecting the delivery guy from getting shot. I do think he should've:

-given her a refund
-told her that's all he had to delivery her goods so she can either take it or leave it

Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,704,519 times
Some lady calling requesting a white driver does not equal "I'm going to shoot any black guy that pulls up to my house." If the woman had specifically made that threat lowes wouldn't be sending any driver of any color. The manager should have just denied her request and not assume that a white or Asian person would be happy to go to an openly racist person's house...who might shoot them too if were going to jump to conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events