Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 02:24 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
GI joes and Barbies are coming with interchangeable genitalia as well
Velcro on boobs

so you can "caitlan" your dolls...
Well GI Joe doesnt have a penis and believe me as a little gay boy circa 1969, I was pretty damned pissed. I played with my sisters barbies though. Mom looked the other way. God bless her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
It's the vocal minority (as usual) that's unnecessarily raising a ruckus over this.
Do you really believe it was the majority complaining about the girl toy aisle being pink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But does your daughter love pink because she really loves pink, or has she absorbed through her whole life that "girls like pink"?
I'd say it has to do with men and women being different.

You might believe the only difference between men and women is genitalia, but science tells us there is more to it than that.

Science tells us men and women's brains work different from each other.

Men and Women Really Do Think Differently

Quote:
There's a difference. And it's interesting to see pictures of toy catalogs from years ago, when hardly anything was pink.
Marketing hadn't evolved as well as it has today.

My guess is that marketing discovered that girls are more apt to purchase toys that are packaged with pink and sparkles.

It may have something to do with the science of our brains.

Men and Women Really Do Think Differently

Old 08-11-2015, 02:33 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you really believe it was the majority complaining about the girl toy aisle being pink?

I'd say it has to do with men and women being different.

You might believe the only difference between men and women is genitalia, but science tells us there is more to it than that.

Science tells us men and women's brains work different from each other.
But "pink is for girls" is a marketing ploy. There's nothing about pink that resonates with women on a subconscious level. Your daughter likes pink because that's what she's been told she should like, and she wants to be like her friends and like what she sees in the stores and on TV. Take away the pink, and girls can decide what they like without questioning if the squirt gun or the dinosaurs are for them.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
But "pink is for girls" is a marketing ploy. There's nothing about pink that resonates with women on a subconscious level.

Study: Why Girls Like Pink - TIME

Quote:
But now there's evidence that those colors may be more than just marketing gimmicks. According to a new study in the Aug. 21 issue of Current Biology, women may be biologically programmed to prefer the color pink — or, at least, redder shades of blue — more than men.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:42 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Not all girl dolls have pink boxes.
I know. I was referring to the picture you posted of the Barbie aisle, saying it wouldn't be hard to find the GI Joe if it was in that aisle even if it didn't have the pink backing on the shelf. It's a sea of pink boxes. Start with the boxes that are not pink.

Quote:
Additionally, how long until the PC decision is made to eliminate the pink boxes?
Oh, the horror. LOL

Really... so? You would actually read the box to see what it is? And?...

Quote:
You don't have to be worked up to point out how stupid some things are.
The interesting part is that what we both feel we are doing. Because I think complaining about this is stupid. LOL

Quote:
And then their are the parents who believe their son, who enjoys Barbies, will suffer some sort of mental abuse by seeing that toy in a pink aisle.

My daughter loves pink. I'd say going down pink aisles makes her shopping for a toy that much more exciting. I'd guess that's true for the majority of little girls. But that's ok, we should take that away for the little boy who likes dolls but whose parents feel uncomfortable their boy is in the pink aisle. After all, the US has become the country of "better to change what everybody loves so the tiny majority of those uncomfortable, won't be uncomfortable."
Or maybe some of us just don't want to go to 3 different aisles looking for Legos. LOL. It really isn't that unusual for kids to like toys that aren't their "gender". My kids were not unicorns. It's also not unusual for stores to not have an uber pink glitter aisle labeled GIRL and a super blue action toy aisle labeled BOY. But no matter what, the Barbie section is full of pink glittery stuff, and the Thomas the Tank Engine section is still very blue, even without the Boy and Girl labeled aisles.

I mean, Toys R Us groups by toy type too, and somehow you could tell which dolls were intended for whom without a BOY plastered at the beginning of the aisle. Those communists.

I do not think you realize just how easy it will be to tell without the special label at the start of the aisle. I assure you My Little Pony stuff will still be pink and glittery, just like it is in stores that already do this. It's not rocket science.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I do not think you realize just how easy it will be to tell without the special label at the start of the aisle.
Two questions:

Do you feel there is a need to remove the colored aisles that are already there?

If so, why?

I'll read your reply, and then I'm done with this topic.

To summarize my thoughts:

I just don't understand the need to remove the pink and blue aisles. I see them as a quick visual cue that doesn't harm anyone.

If people feel the pink aisles are harmful enough to have them changed, what about the pink boxes and dresses? If those aren't going to be changed, why change the aisle color?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
This makes sense to me. Not all girls like pink. I didn't. I never wanted to be a princess, Queen maybe but not some simpy little princess. I also didn't like girl toys that copied housework like Easy-Bake Ovens or miniature mops and brooms. Doll houses were okay. So were older appearing dolls.

I never liked baby dolls. If Barbie had been around when I was a little girl I would have liked her. My parents got my sisters and me toy trucks if we wanted them or story-book dolls or paper dolls or cowboys and horses sets. Our favorite toy was our Lionel electric trains. My dad and my sisters and I built all kinds of scenery around our trains. I liked making models like Queen Elizabeth's coach and horses. We all liked coloring books and puzzles. I believe at one time my older sister had her own baseball glove. We played baseball in the alley with the neighborhood kids. Boys and girls. My sisters and I even had cap guns.

There was jump rope and marbles and jacks and all sorts of toys everyone played with. About the only stigma on toys was that boys didn't play with dolls but I know one or two who would play with my paper dolls with me if I bribed them with enough candy.

Toy segregation is more of a parent thing than a kid thing. A kid doesn't know the difference until he or she gets older and learns what he or she is supposed to play with. This is just one more thing for people to be uptight about with lists and statistics and boring polls. Poor kids today. Even their toys have to be PC.

My parents never gave a rap if something was labeled "boys toys" or "girls toys." Toys were toys.

Last edited by Minervah; 08-11-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 03:26 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Two questions:

Do you feel there is a need to remove the colored aisles that are already there?

If so, why?

I'll read your reply, and then I'm done with this topic.

To summarize my thoughts:

I just don't understand the need to remove the pink and blue aisles. I see them as a quick visual cue that doesn't harm anyone.

If people feel the pink aisles are harmful enough to have them changed, what about the pink boxes and dresses? If those aren't going to be changed, why change the aisle color?
I don't know if they "need" to change them, it just makes sense to me. Target's gender aisles go overboard IMO.

For instance, the Lego example. Right now you have "boy" Legos in one aisle, "girl" legos in another, and generic Legos usually next to the "boy" Lego aisle. Why? Shouldnt we just put them all together? And do only boys want to build Batman's hearquarters or a firehouse?

Look at the picture posted earlier. Why is there an aisle marked "building sets" and "girls building sets" what sense does that make?

If a boy likes easy bake ovens, why do we have to splash GIRL on the aisle it's in? Will the company refuse the money if it's purchased for a boy? Wanting to bake is a gender thing now? Lots of men cook. Is it really a "girl" thing to want to make a cookie? Ditto things like art sets. I mean, a boy can't want to make a keychain? Or a girl can't be into Pokemon and the toys that come with it? It happens all the time.

Some of these divisions are artificial. There is nothing wrong with liking Barbies or the color pink. There is nothing wrong with liking Ninja Turtles or the color blue. But you can let whatever kid gravitate towards whatever toy without plastering a gender sign on it. It's not necessary IMO.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Some of these divisions are artificial. There is nothing wrong with liking Barbies or the color pink. There is nothing wrong with liking Ninja Turtles or the color blue. But you can let whatever kid gravitate towards whatever toy without plastering a gender sign on it. It's not necessary IMO.
And kids are very impressionable. You don't want a kid feeling ashamed to like what they like because it's in the "wrong" aisle.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:43 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
When one of my son's was younger, he really, really, really wanted an Easy Bake oven. They were pink. He hated pink. But he really, really, really wanted an oven. Luckily, Mrs. Field's made a look alike oven, which was red. I could not find one in stores, but they were available online, so one of the very first online purchases I made back in the day was a red Mrs. Field's oven.

When another son was in kindergarten, he saw a tshirt he liked, which was a black cat face on an orange tshirt. Only problem was that the shirt was in the girl's clothing section, so he said he could not wear it because it was a girls' shirt. I made his day when I went back to that store another day without him, bought the tshirt, and told him I found it in the boys' section (I had not - it was simply an orange tshirt with a cat face on it). He proudly wore that shirt until it no longer fit and no one ever knew it was a "girl" shirt.

If people cannot find what toy they are looking for without a label saying "girl" and "boy", they have bigger issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events