Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you know the difference between baking ingredients like flour, sugar and baking soda vs beer?

If so, I guess you feel they should remove the signs from the end of the grocery store aisles?

Just as most people don't want to stop at the end of each grocery store aisle to look down it to see which one has baking goods, I don't want to have to stop and look down each aisle to see where the boys toys might be. I'd rather get to the toys section and have the blue indicate that's where they are.

Are you going to say to the people who like the indicators at the end of the grocery aisles, "What you need a bag of flour to say Hi, I'm a bag of flour."

Once again, I don't care about the "boy's" and "girl's" signs, I like the visual cues giving me a quick reference to where the boy's toys are and the girl's toys are. Yes, I know what a Lincoln Log set looks like just like a know what rice looks like, but it's surely convenient not to have to stare down every row looking to see which might be the right one.
Your analogy fails, as others have pointed out.

When I look for baking items in the grocery store, I look for "baking items." Once I get over in that section, I use my common sense and visual abilities to determine exactly WHAT baking items I need.

When I'm looking for a toy in a retail store, I look for the "toy" section. Once I find that section, I use my common sense and visual abilities to pick out the perfect toy for a particular child.

I bet the Lincoln Logs in Target will continue to be grouped with like toys - such as Tinker Toys, building blocks, Legos, etc. Just like they always have been.

Get this - many, many little girls LOVE Lincoln Logs by the way. So do many little boys. In your opinion, should Lincoln Logs be placed in the hypothetical "Boy" or "Girl" section of a store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:52 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Please explain exactly why we need signs to tell us which are "girl" toys and which are "boy" toys? Who benefits from having the signs there?
Grandparents, people buying something for a quick birthday party present, anyone who doesn't want to look through twice as many aisles for a simple present for the kids.

Have you ever gone to Target with a couple of 3-5 year olds and walk past the toy aisles? Any excuse to pass on an aisle is a good one. "That's a girls aisle, that's a baby aisle, that's a boys aisle" gets you out of the minefield faster.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not any more. Parents these days are buying all sorts of toys for their kids, and kids are asking for all sorts.

My sister and I asked for a nintendo when we were kids. We didn't have a brother who wanted to play video games, we were the only kids. My parents didn't say "video games are for boys!" My parents weren't particularly progressive, but we played with all sorts of "boy" toys, and neither of us were tomboys. We kept up the video games well into our teen years.

What does happen? Kids are socialized to not like other toys and teased sometimes. I did have a boy friend as a kid who loved to play barbies. He didn't tell his parents, but he played with us. No clue what happened to him, but some kids are teased for it.
The mom of a 'princess boy' speaks out - TODAY.com

But kids now want to play with Minions and Elsa (Frozen) no matter what gender they are. We should make it easy and prescribe no gender based on those interests.
What? What made you think that video gaming consoles are stereotypically boy's toys? I've always seen them in the completely gender neutral electronics department.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,857 times
I am 60 years old, female, and never owned a doll in my life unless it was given to me by a relative at Christmas or birthday. I always played with cars, trains, trucks, plastic action figures, cowboy holster and six shooters, and whatever I wanted. My parents never dressed me in pink and I hated those petty coat things that little girls had put on them for parties.
I never even noticed that the aisles were labeled at Target and well, they never should have been in the first place.
Let kids play with what appeals and wear what they want.
My parents did and I am grateful that they did, even that long ago.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Walmart hasn't had the toys in gender sections like for years I believe. Nobody cares.

I for one would appreciate the toys being grouped by what they are (electronics, legos, dolls, action toys, educational, etc.) instead of "boy" and "girl", or in age appropriate groupings (Toddlers, kids, teens).

I remember being annoyed going to buy my daughter legos and having all the ones she'd like in the "boy" section. Made her think she wasn't supposed to like them. Ditto when my son went through his Dora the Explorer phase, she was always in the aisle surrounded by pink stuff and after a while he felt self conscious about liking Dora.

I can't believe people are so offended by the change. Get a grip.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:10 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your analogy fails, as others have pointed out.

When I look for baking items in the grocery store, I look for "baking items." Once I get over in that section, I use my common sense and visual abilities to determine exactly WHAT baking items I need.

When I'm looking for a toy in a retail store, I look for the "toy" section. Once I find that section, I use my common sense and visual abilities to pick out the perfect toy for a particular child.

I bet the Lincoln Logs in Target will continue to be grouped with like toys - such as Tinker Toys, building blocks, Legos, etc. Just like they always have been.

Get this - many, many little girls LOVE Lincoln Logs by the way. So do many little boys. In your opinion, should Lincoln Logs be placed in the hypothetical "Boy" or "Girl" section of a store?
The bolded is key. Most people shopping in the toy section are shopping for a particular child. Signs or color designations can't address that individual child's interests anyway.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I can appreciate where Target is coming from but, as is the case with many leftist experiments, all this does is add headache to the shopping process. As others have mentioned, when I'm shopping, these "labels" on the aisles are extremely helpful for me knowing where to go and choose items that appeals to people of different sexes. Like it or not, boys and girls are different in many ways and have different tastes in many things generally. Thus, it makes sense to label this. There are some places where I stop doing business with because of their overly PC mentality. Target may become one of them.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can appreciate where Target is coming from but, as is the case with many leftist experiments, all this does is add headache to the shopping process. As others have mentioned, when I'm shopping, these "labels" on the aisles are extremely helpful for me knowing where to go and choose items that appeals to people of different sexes. Like it or not, boys and girls are different in many ways and have different tastes in many things generally. Thus, it makes sense to label this. There are some places where I stop doing business with because of their overly PC mentality. Target may become one of them.
So... what do you do when you buy a toy in a store other than Target? Many stores don't have boy and girl aisles. Many stores have toys grouped by what they actually are. Like for instance, Kmart or Marshalls. Do you refuse to shop there?

It's not a huge deal. It won't change anyone's life. Just wander the aisle and pick something like everyone else. LOL

Old 08-11-2015, 11:29 AM

443 posts, read 437,608 times
Who cares? My kid never picked out her toys based on whether or not they were in the "girl" or "boy" aisle. It was the always the "toy section." This doesn't really change anything.

And the people who are complaining that the signs made it easier to pick out toys - boo hoo, looks like you're going to have to actually use your brain as opposed to a label when it comes to picking out a toy. So you're going to have to look browse through an aisle or two more? Poor you.

The things people waste their time worrying about..

Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
So... what do you do when you buy a toy in a store other than Target? Many stores don't have boy and girl aisles. Many stores have toys grouped by what they actually are. Like for instance, Kmart or Marshalls. Do you refuse to shop there?

It's not a huge deal. It won't change anyone's life. Just wander the aisle and pick something like everyone else. LOL
The stores I shop at do have them. And, for those that don't, that's OK. Its more Target's announcement that is the problem; they are showing that they are doing this as part of some leftist experiment/bowing to pressure from radical leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events