Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,528,391 times

Advertisements

For the life of me, I'll never understand females who join ISIS. Are they so ignorant they don't have knowledge of what happens, or are they actually saying, 'Yes, sign me up to be passed around and sexually used, beaten, and covered from head to toe. Sounds like it's a good match, given my skillset.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,074,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
For the life of me, I'll never understand females who join ISIS. Are they so ignorant they don't have knowledge of what happens, or are they actually saying, 'Yes, sign me up to be passed around and sexually used, beaten, and covered from head to toe. Sounds like it's a good match, given my skillset.'
No kidding. They don't think it will happen to them because, after all, they are special. American women honestly have no idea how much more respect and equality they are culturally and legally granted compared to the rest of the world. The only countries that are on the same level are Western European and the other English speaking nations. We in this nation do not comprehend what repression on a macro level really entails. Oh, and if that young lady thinks race (or ethnicity) based discrimination is bad here, it is nothing compared to what happens over there.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No kidding. They don't think it will happen to them because, after all, they are special. American women honestly have no idea how much more respect and equality they are culturally and legally granted compared to the rest of the world. The only countries that are on the same level are Western European and the other English speaking nations. We in this nation do not comprehend what repression on a macro level really entails. Oh, and if that young lady thinks race (or ethnicity) based discrimination is bad here, it is nothing compared to what happens over there.

I wouldn't go that far: China, Japan, South Korea to name just a few...
But I get what point you're making and I agree with it.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,038,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I say let them go have their "fun" and when isis is done with them, that is if they are still alive when they try to come back remind them of the treason and if they return they will be held accountable for their crimes which may actually mean death.

These stupid impressionable kids think it is all fun and games and probably romantic to run away and join up the cause. The cause is death to the infidels. I wonder how long they would want to stay after seeing an innocent person beheaded or little kids put to death for breaking the ramadan fast.

Let them go but it is a one way trip.
That's what I've always wanted with these people. Why are western governments actively trying to stop these people from leaving and joining the fight in the Mideast when we should be letting them go and not letting them come back into any western nation EVER if they somehow survive?

I don't get why we need to stop them and arrest them so that we then have to waste time, energy and resources to house them in prisons, feed and cloth them, put them on trial and if convicted to further waste resources to keep them in prison even longer. Instead if we just let them go, they would not be our problem anymore. They either get their wish to fight and die for ISIS or they live and they're stuck in the bed that they've made for themselves. Either way, we don't have to waste anymore time or energy on them.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 AM

7,577 posts, read 5,299,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Somebody was filling those kids heads with angry rhetoric, where were the parents when that was happening or were they the ones and then the kids took it "too far"?
What's with the "where were the parents" meme? As if teenagers and young adults aren't fully capable of leading secret lives.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,528,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
What's with the "where were the parents" meme? As if teenagers and young adults aren't fully capable of leading secret lives.
Their recruiting is done online starting with social media. How many parents really know who your kids are engaging with, and what the discussion is, when they're on Facebook or Twitter? Not many.

The problem I have with this, is - why aren't parents discussing world news with their kids? Is this a lost art or something? Kids in high school should be well aware of what ISIS is about, what they're doing, and the way they recruit people online.

But even with that, kids don't always listen.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,557,420 times
There isn't much difference between ISIS and how many of the Muslim countries operate.

ISIS wants to live by the example of their prophet Muhammad, who was a warlord.

There is a lot of attraction for Muslims to join ISIS.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,074,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I wouldn't go that far: China, Japan, South Korea to name just a few...
But I get what point you're making and I agree with it.
Having lived in South Korea for 18 months I'm going to have to disagree, the glass ceiling there is hard as a rock, women are still considered subservient, and a blind eye is turned to domestic violence. And in China.... They were giving away or even killing baby girls so they could have a son as their one child, that is not my vision of a culture of where females are as valued as males. Granted, they aren't treated as badly as a woman joining ISIS, but no, they aren't on par with Northern America as far as equality goes.

I think any female who would voluntarily join ISIS is either self-hating, ignorant, or delusional.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:42 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Having lived in South Korea for 18 months I'm going to have to disagree, the glass ceiling there is hard as a rock, women are still considered subservient, and a blind eye is turned to domestic violence. And in China.... They were giving away or even killing baby girls so they could have a son as their one child, that is not my vision of a culture of where females are as valued as males. Granted, they aren't treated as badly as a woman joining ISIS, but no, they aren't on par with Northern America as far as equality goes.

I think any female who would voluntarily join ISIS is either self-hating, ignorant, or delusional.
This was more of an attempt to control overpopulation, as they believed they had too many female babies. Women get pregnant and reproduce, whereas men don't; That was their mindset with this.
I didn't know that about South Korea, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events