Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Holy Crap... our country certainly has turned into the movie "Idiocracy"

You wish violence on the people that are protecting businesses from thugs that are breaking the law by looting ? Interesting. Now I'm not for open carry myself, but this is a drastically different situation than some mouth breathing neck beard that decided to take a break from his call of duty game and decides to scare some soccer mom's in the local walmart.
Wait, wait they were actually providing protection to specific entities? Link please; 'cause all I'm getting is they were supposedly enlisted to support ONE news crew. I'm also only aware they clustered around said reporter and camera operator until they finished their filming, then beat feet.

They did not protect any property, person or other Ferguson entity.

In short it could be argued they were nothing more than pawns used by a particular news group to stimulate a response, either by authorities or inhabitants of Ferguson, and as such .....perhaps not the brightest bulbs in the string of lights? Posing with a big center dot and ten ring circles on your back while standing 100 yds down range would have all the same characteristics.......STUPID.

God forbid we find that a group of guys got all duded up in their quasi-military finery just to serve as manipulated dumb props for a controversial bloggers site. HAAAAR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:42 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Infowars (Alex Jones) vigorously denies that they hired these people to provide security.

Quote:
CBS News published a false story claiming that Infowars reporter Joe Biggs, a highly-experienced combat veteran, “hired” a militia group to protect both him and reporter Jakari Jackson in Ferguson, Mo.

“CBS News reports that several members of a militia-style group called the Oath Keepers showed up carrying assault weapons; they were hired by Infowars.com — a website run by Alex Jones — to protect its reporters,” the Aug. 11 article falsely states.

Infowars did not hire Oath Keepers for private security, despite the article’s claim which was not attributed to any source whatsoever, meaning the statement could have came from the writer’s imagination as far as anyone knows.

» CBS News Reports Fake Story on Infowars “Hiring” Militia Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I would love to see one of these inbred hillbillies have their gun taken from them and be beaten to a pulp by the people they were trying to frighten. I hate these open carry losers, they make all gun owners look like idiots.

Inbred hill-billies? Most of those guys are military veterans, average everyday folks, the founder of the group was an attorney and a graduate of Yale.

I find it rather disconcerting that people are so concerned about these guys who have yet to fire a shot while in Ferguson cops are getting shot at and more looting and rioting is happening.

"Ferguson was a great city until this right wing militia showed up"-Said nobody ever.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wait, wait they were actually providing protection to specific entities? Link please; 'cause all I'm getting is they were supposedly enlisted to support ONE news crew. I'm also only aware they clustered around said reporter and camera operator until they finished their filming, then beat feet.

They did not protect any property, person or other Ferguson entity.

In short it could be argued they were nothing more than pawns used by a particular news group to stimulate a response, either by authorities or inhabitants of Ferguson, and as such .....perhaps not the brightest bulbs in the string of lights? Posing with a big center dot and ten ring circles on your back while standing 100 yds down range would have all the same characteristics.......STUPID.

God forbid we find that a group of guys got all duded up in their quasi-military finery just to serve as manipulated dumb props for a controversial bloggers site. HAAAAR!
Okay, If that is the case but it is still assinine to wish harm on them. My dog isn't the brightest but I don't beat him because of it.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:05 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Inbred hill-billies? Most of those guys are military veterans, average everyday folks, the founder of the group was an attorney and a graduate of Yale.

I find it rather disconcerting that people are so concerned about these guys who have yet to fire a shot while in Ferguson cops are getting shot at and more looting and rioting is happening.
Most people would probably welcome a peacekeeping force like the Oath Keepers in their neighborhood.

Don't do anything stupid and you should be fine.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:36 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Why go to all of these machinations when the real problem is guns in the "wrong" hands? Without restricting the flow of guns into every aspect of our lives, training people is simply going to keep good people good, and leave guns in the hands of knuckleheads who, for a variety of reasons, should be nowhere near any sort of lethal weapon.

My solution is, and has been, to remove guns from the public space. They serve no practical purpose in a modern society other than to intentionally, or accidently, get people killed. Stop the general manufacture (sorry NRA), corral the hardware that is out there, and for sporting types, inventory personal guns in a range where the gun, and the ammo, are checked out, used for sport, and returned to their safekeeping location--along with spent and unused cartridges.

It will take a hundred years to get the guns off the streets, but at least it MIGHT reverse the explosion in the numbers of guns out there, and the daily gun deaths which don't even have any impact any longer. Yeah, a couple of people got shot today...a cop got shot...a school was devastated with multiple children executed. We have become SO cold and immune to it, and so lacking in a solution (hand out MORE guns seems to be the latest solution)...that people don't even pay attention to it any longer. It goes in the local column along with traffic deaths...a person died on Interstate 15 this morning...a woman died from gunshot wounds in Seattle....electrical service was interrupted in Lebanon from a lightening strike.....we just glance over it. And that is not right, and could be reduced if we try hard.
Why should we do this when our gun homicide and gun crime statistics have been steadily declining since the mid nineties? We are already headed in the right direction.
Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Research Center

Old 08-12-2015, 01:42 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Infowars (Alex Jones) vigorously denies that they hired these people to provide security.
Here is where having a shred of credibility would help. Sadly, Jones is less trustworthy than even cbs.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I would love to see one of these inbred hillbillies have their gun taken from them and be beaten to a pulp by the people they were trying to frighten. I hate these open carry losers, they make all gun owners look like idiots.

If you are a gun owner, we likely have to be more worried about what people like you would do to our image, by wishing a violent outcome to happen on law abiding citizens.
I don't know much about OK's, but they do not seem like the criminal element to me. Contrast that with the real criminals in Ferguson, and you seem to be on the wrong side of this equation.

----

On a side note to the more reasoned posters in this thread, while I think open carry looks strange to me (coming from a state that only allows concealed carry), I believe it is what you get use to. Apparently those who live in state with OC, they think CC is unusual and disconcerting. Frankly, I believe either form of weapon carry should be in the various states.

`

Old 08-12-2015, 02:30 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Here is who is actually injecting disquiet into Ferguson....

Police release video they say shows Ferguson suspect with gun

We have the dad and aunt of the kid that shot at the police saying he didn't have a gun, thus trying to incite more unrest and portray it as their poor unarmed angel being gunned down by cops. Oh, and he was awaiting trial for car and gun theft btw. Must have been framed for that too.

EXACTLY the same scenario that started some riots 3 weeks after Browns shooting where a guy out on bail shot at a security guard and was on bail for gun possession, social media pics of him with gangs and guns....his family claims he was unarmed and "murdered".

Quote:
St. Louis County Police said: "The video shows Harris grab a handgun out of his waistband once shots are fired during the protest in the West Florissant corridor."

Harris's father said his son did not have a gun.

"He was running for his ... life because someone was shooting at him," Tyrone Harris, Sr. said in a telephone interview from his St. Louis-area home before the video was released.

According to St. Louis city court records, the younger Harris was free on bail awaiting trial on charges of stealing a motor vehicle, theft of a firearm and resisting arrest.
....and you think it's the oathkeepers that are stirring things up? No, it's some of the crappy families in a community that they drag down that then go on camera lying and crying about how their baby never hurt anyone, was executed, shot in the back blah blah blah. These are the same families whose kids are doing the drive-bys. A small percentage of scumbags are whats wrong with all these neighborhoods and the push to make them martyrs is insulting to the community.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:49 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Most people would probably welcome a peacekeeping force like the Oath Keepers in their neighborhood.

Don't do anything stupid and you should be fine.
No, I would not, I have ample weaponry and knowledge to take care of myself. I do not want morons with guns walking around my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events