Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:30 PM

498 posts, read 543,424 times

Advertisements

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/10/navajo-nation-epa-mine-wastewater-spill/31399517/

I realize this is in Colorado but this could flow all the way to Lake Mead. Why is the media so quiet about it? If this had happened in the Alberta Oilsands it would be a world wide news event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/10/navajo-nation-epa-mine-wastewater-spill/31399517/

I realize this is in Colorado but this could flow all the way to Lake Mead. Why is the media so quiet about it? If this had happened in the Alberta Oilsands it would be a world wide news event.
I'm not sure where you get your news from but it was the lead story (3/4 of the front page) in today's Arizona Republic and there was a lengthy piece on last night's NBC Nightly News.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:

Oh for heaven's sake. It will NOT flow all the way to Lake Mead or down the Colorado. It is over when it gets to Lake Powell. The junk will fall out when the velocity drops coming into the lake and most of it will end up in the sediments. What does not will be diluted in the lake. The spill was 3 million gallons. There are currently 4,247,025,005,449 gallons of water in Lake Powell! Put the 3 in the millions place and see how trivial that amount of water and pollutants is.

As for the media, that is utter nonsense. The story is everywhere.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm not sure where you get your news from but it was the lead story (3/4 of the front page) in today's Arizona Republic and there was a lengthy piece on last night's NBC Nightly News.

Agree with pbenjamin. I've been reading about it in the paper and elsewhere. They are talking about Lake Powell, not Lake Mead, btw.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Agree with pbenjamin. I've been reading about it in the paper and elsewhere. They are talking about Lake Powell, not Lake Mead, btw.
It will reach Lake Powell by tomorrow. To put it in perspective, it is 3 million gallons while the daily inflow to Lake Powell right now is 4 billion gallons a day right now. It is a proverbial drop in the bucket. It is going to be a headache for the people along the river though and at the point where it enters Powell, too. Not much we can do about it but wait and see what happens to the water supplies, fish and wildlife, if anything.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:14 PM

498 posts, read 543,424 times
This happened last Wednesday, it's becoming headlines today?

You can bet if it were caused by some EVIL CORPORATION and not by the EPA you would have read about it by noon last Wednesday . The place would be full of enviro freaks picketing and screaming for some CEO to be strung from a tree.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:

You can bet if it were caused by some EVIL CORPORATION and not by the EPA you would have read about it by noon last Wednesday . The place would be full of enviro freaks picketing and screaming for some CEO to be strung from a tree.
No. You really have nothing to support what you are saying. It has been in the news since day one. Take your anti-government rant someplace else (there is a thread on this on the politics forum where you will find sympathetic readers). My only criticism of the EPA is that they have been painfully slow in getting out details on their water testing, or so it seems from here.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:48 PM

127 posts, read 171,519 times
Quote:
This has been headlines for days. I know because I've been reading it. It was in the New York Times at least by the 7th, the Wall Street Journal by the 8th, USA Today by the 7th. All three stories explicitly blame the EPA. Those are the three largest papers in America by an overwhelming margin. The Denver Post had it on the 7th, the Washington Post on the 7th, the Los Angeles Times by August 8th.

Not saying this isn't or won't be politicized, but what you're claiming is definitely mistaken. This has been widely and intensively reported all over America, impossible to miss if you read the news.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
I find it pretty ironic and hilarious that the EPA caused this much damage...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I wondered “why” the EPA was messing with something that has been there for decades from back in the early 1900’s. They said it was an accident, however why did they need to do “anything”. It’s messed up the area around Durango and Farmington. It’s got to have affected the farming nearby in the area of NM……

Quote:
Workers from the Environmental Protection Agency were hoping to install a pipe to drain the water so that they could eventually plug the mine, keeping the contaminated water inside it and out of the streams. Instead, they ended up accidentally breaching the dam, releasing the water.
[source]
https://www.hcn.org/articles/when-ou...as-river-spill

Interesting read on the full article about this issue on the link provided.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 08-11-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events