Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
ME is selling their oil real cheap. We buy it and save ours for a rainy day.
Reducing the amount of crude on the world market will make the price skyrocket.

And you don't even want to fathom the economic depression that would occur if US oil producers were unable to sell a barrel of oil or a MCF of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here in Colorado Springs it's beginning to drop -- about 1 cent a day for the last 6 days.
Yesterday it was $2.68 at Costco...2.69 on Fillmore.
I've been hearing about this "drop" for months and have not seen it!
There is a station on Nevada that closed at "$2.49" left on their sign about 2 months ago.

So, I've seen no movement downwards!

$2.12? !
I wish!!!

Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Like to see gas go down to a dollar a gallon.

Gas prices are down, and they are about to fall even further -- perhaps to less than $2 a gallon.
"There will be thousands, even tens of thousands of stations below $2 by the time we're into football season," said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst for the Oil Price Information Service, which tracks retail prices for AAA.

Gas prices poised for a steep drop - Aug. 10, 2015

Good.

I'm a big "envelope" person. Any money remaining after my monthly gas allocation goes into the "gas" envelope. DH is beginning to envy my stash--which I'll end up sharing with him when half is transferred to the "pizza" envelope this fall lol.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yes and US Oil Production is up under Obama and not by huge numbers.
Where do you get your information from?
From now on, please source your claims. Thanks.

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploa.../oilweekly.jpg

We're currently producing about the same amount of oil as Saudi Arabia.

Neither Obama nor Bush had anything to do with it.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The thing to realize is the reason they are down is because of US producers putting pressure on OPEC, this is a good thing for a variety of reasons. If they go too low it's going to turn into a bad thing.

I'd much rather see gas at $2.50 gallon if it's going to stay there instead of $2/gallon gas that is going to cost me $4 in two years.
This is exactly my sentiment. Why do we need so much volatility in this precious, vital commodity? It's arguable that gold and stocks can have volatility because not everyone needs to own or hold that asset. But oil is far far too critical to how everyday functions to be this up and down in price.

Give me 2.50-2.75 gasoline, and leave it the heck alone.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
The thing to realize is the reason they are down is because of US producers putting pressure on OPEC, this is a good thing for a variety of reasons. If they go too low it's going to turn into a bad thing.

I'd much rather see gas at $2.50 gallon if it's going to stay there instead of $2/gallon gas that is going to cost me $4 in two years.
Gas is already under $2.50 a gallon in New Jersey where I work, though it's still in the $2.60 range in Monroe County PA where I live. Gasoline prices come down to state and regional taxes.

A better measure would be the price of a barrel of crude, but people don't think in those terms. Under Reagan crude oil went down to $10 a barrel and people worried about the politic stability of Saudi Arabia. Well there's plenty of political instability in the Middle East and there has been for decades, whether oil is at $10 or $110 a barrel.

I don't see any reason for gasoline to go back to $4.00 a gallon anytime soon. Fracking technology is here to stay and OPEC can go F themselves.

The thing to watch out for now, is a proposed change in the law regarding exports of US crude. We have been barred from exporting crude oil since the 1970's during the Arab Oil Embargo. We can export refined product, but some people see a lot of money to be made by exporting crude to foreign countries.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
This is exactly my sentiment. Why do we need so much volatility in this precious, vital commodity? It's arguable that gold and stocks can have volatility because not everyone needs to own or hold that asset. But oil is far far too critical to how everyday functions to be this up and down in price.

Give me 2.50-2.75 gasoline, and leave it the heck alone.
Being a vital commodity does not make something prone to be less volatile in cost. Quite the opposite in fact.

Gasoline has no real substitutes. You can manage your utilization to some extent but you can't just start pouring water or diet sprite in the tank instead.

So, you have a vital, global commodity that has a limited shelf life.....and we have finite refining capacity so it's a product that has a lot of potential disruptions.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Gas is already under $2.50 a gallon in New Jersey where I work, though it's still in the $2.60 range in Monroe County PA where I live. Gasoline prices come down to state and regional taxes.

A better measure would be the price of a barrel of crude, but people don't think in those terms. Under Reagan crude oil went down to $10 a barrel and people worried about the politic stability of Saudi Arabia. Well there's plenty of political instability in the Middle East and there has been for decades, whether oil is at $10 or $110 a barrel.

I don't see any reason for gasoline to go back to $4.00 a gallon anytime soon. Fracking technology is here to stay and OPEC can go F themselves.

The thing to watch out for now, is a proposed change in the law regarding exports of US crude. We have been barred from exporting crude oil since the 1970's during the Arab Oil Embargo. We can export refined product, but some people see a lot of money to be made by exporting crude to foreign countries.
We export refined product to other countries with lower environmental standards because it makes us more money than having to refine it more and use it domestically. Thanks Obama!

I'd also like to thank Obama for fracking since he's somehow responsible for this bounty.

LMAO @ the meme of thanking Obama for US oil production.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
That's not a business you can sustain multi month losses. Capital investments are very high, profits are dependent on long term sustained production. Idling billions of dollars of equipment and whatever is not going to work out well.
Since its inception, the American oil industry has always been rather boom and bust. And the reason is -- the oil companies always go hog wild (like greedy Wall Streeters) when oil suddenly looks good, and instead of slowly proceeding they go all in. Then oil fortunes change (as they always do), and the bust begins.

So tell me, which of the big American oil companies are going to go out of business?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since its inception, the American oil industry has always been rather boom and bust. And the reason is -- the oil companies always go hog wild (like greedy Wall Streeters) when oil suddenly looks good, and instead of slowly proceeding they go all in. Then oil fortunes change (as they always do), and the bust begins.

So tell me, which of the big American oil companies are going to go out of business?
Yeah, I remember when all the oil companies were going bust and merging during the 90's. By the end they were giant companies, I think Exxon was #1 in the world.

You know what happened when the market recovered and the largest company in the world made the largest (in dollars not as a percentage) profits?

They were excoriated for "record profits" during a populist 2008 presidential primary and later campaign.

It was one of the saddest, most anti-intellectual moments I've seen. The American people too stupid to understand that "record profits" was a sham foisted on the innumerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events