Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
To spare myself from the inevitable "warning," to this comment I shall only roll my eyes ---->
I was just going to tell him to shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is many young men and it's really gone to f'n far!

Its a stupid application of the law. Ruining someone's life over something in which there is no victim. The intent is to catch adult perverts and pedo's from preying on minors, not ensnaring what is basically still a kid who was led on by false pretenses.

Quote:

"Where teenagers would go," said Anderson. "I'm not allowed to go at all. Like I can't even go to the public library."
For the next five years, Anderson can't go online, can't be around anyone under 17, and has to be home by 8 p.m.
Quote:
To pass the time, Zach spray paints his unfinished basement. It's also where he spends most of his nights practicing his favorite sport - skateboarding.

This is ****ing ridiculous. Basically the system has made it so that this kid can't survive other than being on public support or getting involved in crime.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Most 17 year-olds have an ID. He could have asked.
Oh yeah, now we are supposed to card someone we are getting cozy with !! That is going to happen !

When I was about 21 I went to a nightclub where Sly and the family stone were playing that night. Hooked up with a good looking girl, we danced a bunch, shared some drinks, were getting very friendly, and as we were talking I asked what she did for a living. She said "I am in school", so I asked what college. She said, "No, I am going to high school..........I am a sophmore !" Then she told me she was 15 !!!!!

I couldn't get away from her fast enough, and you can bet that if we hadn't had that conversation or if she lied, I would be in the same position as the 19 year old guy. She certainly didn't look or act 15 and I would have never asked for any proof of her age.........no one does that.

I think that laws have to be enforced, but some common sense has to enter into it. If the girl lied and admitted she lied, then how can they hold the young man accountable ??

Don

Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Really? You think a 13-year-old and a 19-year-old should hook up and the 19-year-old should not have to face the consequences of statutory rape?

Not buying it....

The influence a 19-year-old has over a 13-year-old is tremendous.
In this instance (this story in the OP), or similar situation, it should be about the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law. The "influence" must not have been that tremendous if the "victim's" mother felt her daughter was in the wrong and the young man should not have been found guilty of anything.

I guess he influenced this girl he didn't know prior to meeting her to get fake I.D.'s, huh?

Old 08-15-2015, 05:18 PM

163 posts, read 138,782 times
This is ridiculous. What's sad is all the women here condoning it saying "well, he should always ask for ID", how the heck are men supposed to attract women when they can be having a great time with a girl that for all intents and purposes looks/talks/acts like an adult but really isn't? Seems like it could totally ruin a guys chance if they are talking getting along and he suddenly says "Hey, just to make sure can I see your ID?"? Ladies I have two questions: 1. If the genders of the people were reversed would you be okay with a 19 year old woman having her life ruined for having sex with a 14 year old boy that lied about his age? Would you be so non chalant in saying "Well, her life may be ruined by she should've asked for his ID"? 2. As far as asking for ID are you saying you'd be perfectly fine if any guy you went out on a date with or about to have sex with no matter how well you got along stopped and said "Hold on, let me check your ID first"?

Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
When I was 14, I could have easily passed for 17. A boy that I was hanging out with a few times the summer I moved to Reno assumed I was his age. He was a senior. When he found out I was an incoming Freshman, he took a hike so fast you wouldn't believe it.

This is a bunk charge and the family needs a better lawyer. They need to be looking at criminal intent here. There is letter of the law and spirit of the law.
Yeah, that's kind of what I think. Hell, there was a girl in my 6th grade class that at, what, 12, could have passed for 17 more by her body than face. That's really rare but then you're talking 12 to 17 rather than 14 to 17. Similarly in college I could tell who the freshman were more by the way they acted than how they looked. Being able to tell 18 from 21 or 22, especially if they were wearing makeup, is pretty difficult. Behavior was a better indicator. When I was in my senior year, I went on a couple dates with a high school senior I met at college party, just figured she was in junior college since I knew she didn't attend the same school I did. I mean, we never really did anything but I didn't really catch on at first because she always insisted meeting somewhere or at my place (not that unusual, lots of junior college students live at home and that's awkward). So that's 22 to 17/18, not that different from 14 to 19. Not something I would have done had I known she was in high school, 18 or otherwise. Now figure it's an 19-year-old who is even less experienced and the girl comes onto him or through something like a casual sex hookup arrangement... what do you think is going to happen?

Old 08-15-2015, 06:30 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I think it would behoove people to avoid having sex with people they don't know very well.

But maybe that's just me.

But, if the underage girl lied, admits she lied, and the mother of the underage girl does not want charges pressed either, then I don't think they should be.
Agree on knowing your sexual partners a little better and probably add that as an adult, 18+ not cruising for high school girls.

Come on, hasn't anyone else heard the term "jail bait"? You make sure you know someone can give consent.

I think that in a case with a minor that Child Protective Services may step in and maybe should. The girl may or may not tell the truth and the parents have the responsibility to protect the child.

Seriously, sexual relationships have a lot of possible trappings. So, yes, he should be placed on the sexual offender registry because he broke the law. It was his responsibility to know for sure that this girl could give legal consent. It isn't like this sort of story isn't continually in the news. "Ignorance isn't always bliss."

Old 08-15-2015, 07:30 PM

163 posts, read 138,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Agree on knowing your sexual partners a little better and probably add that as an adult, 18+ not cruising for high school girls.

Come on, hasn't anyone else heard the term "jail bait"? You make sure you know someone can give consent.

I think that in a case with a minor that Child Protective Services may step in and maybe should. The girl may or may not tell the truth and the parents have the responsibility to protect the child.

Seriously, sexual relationships have a lot of possible trappings. So, yes, he should be placed on the sexual offender registry because he broke the law. It was his responsibility to know for sure that this girl could give legal consent. It isn't like this sort of story isn't continually in the news. "Ignorance isn't always bliss."
Seriously? I might understand if this guy was old but at 19 you think he deserves that? Why not just advocate him killing himself? His life is ruined.

Also, again, would you say the same about a 19 year old woman having sex with a 14 year old that lied about his age? Should her life be ruined for it?

Old 08-15-2015, 07:54 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Recently, Zachary Anderson (a 19 year old from Indiana) has to spend 25 years on a sex offender list only because a 14 year old girl from Michigan, told him she was 17.************The girl and the mother even said that they believe that he's not guilty and that he shouldn't be a sex offender and she took some responsibility for the fact that she lied about her age but that wasn't even enough for the judge to drop the charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I think it would behoove people to avoid having sex with people they don't know very well.

But maybe that's just me.

But, if the underage girl lied, admits she lied, and the mother of the underage girl does not want charges pressed either, then I don't think they should be.
Both good points. On one hand if the 14 year old presents as an older person the question should be whether Mr. Anderson reasonably relied on the misrepresentation. On the other hand, sex should not be casual. I had a lesson that turned out not to be tragic, but could have been.

I have only had one "one night stand" and even it was not quite that. I knew a girl named Alicia in high school. Though I graduated in 1975 the last I'd seen her was spring 1972. We didn't have classes together.

Fast forward to June 29, 1987. I had just broken up with a one-year girlfriend. I ran into Alicia on a train platform and we recognized each other, barely. I took her out for dinner. Two weeks later I took her out again and went back to her apartment. Fortunately she had a condom handy. The next morning I asked her why her last name was hyphenated. She said she divorced some guy after finding gay literature in the apartment. She told me she had just taken an AIDS test. I called her just before Labor Day and she let me know it was clean. Suffice to say, no more adventures.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:03 AM

756 posts, read 833,468 times
Question But What If The I.D. Is Fake?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
This is ridiculous. What's sad is all the women here condoning it saying "well, he should always ask for ID", how the heck are men supposed to attract women when they can be having a great time with a girl that for all intents and purposes looks/talks/acts like an adult but really isn't? Seems like it could totally ruin a guys chance if they are talking getting along and he suddenly says "Hey, just to make sure can I see your ID?"? Ladies I have two questions: 1. If the genders of the people were reversed would you be okay with a 19 year old woman having her life ruined for having sex with a 14 year old boy that lied about his age? Would you be so non chalant in saying "Well, her life may be ruined by she should've asked for his ID"? 2. As far as asking for ID are you saying you'd be perfectly fine if any guy you went out on a date with or about to have sex with no matter how well you got along stopped and said "Hold on, let me check your ID first"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events