Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,872,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
You rarely hear of police women harassing, beating, or shooting unarmed suspects. Do women approach policing differently? Or is the reasoning just statistical based on fewer women officers?
I believe it's all in the personality.......in my small town it's the woman cop who is our problem. She just got back from a 6 week non-paid vacation for harassing people while on the job.

In her defense, due to her being a woman I believe she has to prove herself more. She has a lot of family in the area and grew up here, this may be why she feels she can treat people with little respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,715,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
If you have more women cops, you would see a large uptick of COPS getting beat up. Do you really think that "gangstas" respect and fear (yes fear) policewomen? They're always looking for what they can get away with. It empowers most of the real hoodlums.

Even now, If I were a policeman dealing in a situation where a physical confrontation with multiple nimrods is very possible and my call for backup is a 130 lb. Bambi, this escalates the problem. Not only do you have to watch out for yourself, but now you've got to protect her.

There's a place for women in police work, but getting sent to the most dangerous situations is not it.

John voiced this same opinion many times. His "work wife" was a very tiny woman and she always wanted John to back her up on every call. I love her to death but she never belonged in police work. He told me many times the he didn't like working with women. They did bike patrol together and that seemed to work out all right. They're both retired now as is her husband, a police officer from another town. We still see each other from time to time. I'm glad they're all out. One of my grown up shorties is a police officer in our town and I worry about her. I've heard through the grapevine that the guys don't like having her around. She has a long way to go before retirement. I thought I was over those sleepless nights. Sigh.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 AM

7,572 posts, read 5,284,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Possibly, but that assumes that police shootings are automatically a bad thing. What is wrong with police shootings if they're justified, as 95%+ are?
There is a substantial difference between what is justified and what is necessary. Assuming that your figure is correct (I would upwardly adjust that to 99%) the question is, how many shootings could have been avoided by deescalation of confrontations or simply adopting strategies that do not require the police to shall we say "stand their group."

For example, for many years I have questioned the logic behind police who stand in front of a car and when the driver attempts to escape drives in the officers direction which results in a shooting of the driver. The mentality seems to be that it is more important to stand in the way of the vehicle, claim that in doing so the officer feared for their life when it was just as possible to get the hell out of the way. The logic of this escapes me because shooting the driver doesn't stop the car and from I've seen after the shooting no officer is hit by the still moving vehicle. The shooting is justified in the eyes of the law, but was in necessary.

Many years ago I met with a diminutive female officer who explained to me how she operated in one of the most dangerous 4th Districts in New Orleans. She did not hesitate for a second when it came to chasing a male suspect down any alley, but once she came into contact with them she told me that she would casually explain to the suspect that every male cop in the district was hell bent to find and protect her, so if she emerged from the alley with the slightest rip in her uniform there would be nothing that she could do to protect the suspect from a severe beat down. But, if they peacefully came out with her, she would guarantee their safety from the other officers. She had been on the force for six years and it was her experience that her method worked with even the biggest baddest bad guys.

It was because of her size, that she realized that she had to rely on her brains rather than physical strength or some male need to dominate, her description not mine. So when it comes to women cops, if they are the kind of women who are secure in themselves and don't feel a need to prove their toughness to the make counterparts I do believe that more women in uniform would reduce the number of police shootings and abuses.

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 08-15-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 AM

42,742 posts, read 25,909,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
John voiced this same opinion many times. His "work wife" was a very tiny woman and she always wanted John to back her up on every call. I love her to death but she never belonged in police work. He told me many times the he didn't like working with women. They did bike patrol together and that seemed to work out all right. They're both retired now as is her husband, a police officer from another town. We still see each other from time to time. I'm glad they're all out. One of my grown up shorties is a police officer in our town and I worry about her. I've heard through the grapevine that the guys don't like having her around. She has a long way to go before retirement. I thought I was over those sleepless nights. Sigh.
Did I miss something here, who is John and what is a grown up shorty?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:20 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,117,770 times
Here's some stats. 4 women police officers were killed last year.

http://http://www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/

Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,846,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Female police officers generally try to resolve issues without physical confrontation, part of that is because they realize they would have a tough time going one on one with an adult male, but the bigger issue is because throughout their lives women generally resolve disputes without physical violence. How many women are involved in bar fights, or are arrested for road rage? Personally I think the biggest factor in violent behavior is testosterone.

Women police officers generally call for backup.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,741,483 times
Quote:
There is someone here who is incredibly naive, but it's not the female Police Officers who you decided to disparage.

You really believe EVIL cares what someone says, that facial expressions, mannerisms, and a warm smile will stop someone bent on evil? Thank God you weren't leading the troops during WWII, we'd all be speaking german, or dead. This proves beyond any doubt that Liberalism is a suicidal mental disorder.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM

Given that women currently comprise 12.7% of sworn personnel in big city police
agencies, we would expect that female officers in these agencies should be involved in
approximately 12.7% of the citizen complaints, sustained allegations, or payouts for excessive
force. Yet the data indicate that only 5% of the citizen complaints for excessive force and 2% of
the sustained allegations of excessive force in large agencies involve female officers. Women
also account for only 6% of the dollars that are paid out in court judgments and settlements for
excessive force among these large agencies.

• Civil Liability Payouts: The average male officer costs somewhere between two
and a half and five and a half times more than the average female officer in excessive
force liability lawsuit payouts.

• Sustained Allegations: The average male officer is over eight and a half times more
likely than his female counterpart to have an allegation of excessive force sustained
against him.

• Citizen Complaints: The average male officer is two to three times more likely than
the average female officer to have a citizen name him in a complaint of excessive
force.

These data are simply too striking for police executives and community leaders to ignore. They
illuminate the differences in the way in which men and women perform their policing duties, and
highlight the importance of hiring more women as a strategy to reduce problems with excessive
force. The costs of police brutality are high, both in financial and in human terms. By better
understanding the gender dimensions of excessive force, police executives and community
leaders can strive toward hiring more women officers who will be less likely to engage in
brutality.
http://womenandpolicing.com/PDF/2002...sive_Force.pdf

Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,599,133 times
Quote:
Female police officers generally try to resolve issues without physical confrontation, part of that is because they realize they would have a tough time going one on one with an adult male, but the bigger issue is because throughout their lives women generally resolve disputes without physical violence. How many women are involved in bar fights, or are arrested for road rage? Personally I think the biggest factor in violent behavior is testosterone.
What? Chicks go off on each other all the time from Junior High all the way up to College. I doubt as an older adult would make much difference.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
You really believe EVIL cares what someone says, that facial expressions, mannerisms, and a warm smile will stop someone bent on evil? Thank God you weren't leading the troops during WWII, we'd all be speaking german, or dead. This proves beyond any doubt that Liberalism is a suicidal mental disorder.
I guess you haven't met ANY women in the U.S. military.

On second read, I further suspect that you have never served in anyone's military because if you had you would know that for the most part combatants don't come within range of facial expressions, mannerism much less smiles. And as any wayward husband or boyfriend will tell you a pissed off woman can smile at you while driving a steak knife into your back. So, women flying fighter planes, firing artillery, driving tanks would have done just fine. In fact the Soviets had one for the finest group of snipers who operated throughout the Siege of Stalingrad. Having fought through that battle I'd say that those commie liberal women had far more balls than most men at the front.

Read and learn

Women With Guns: The Red Army Female Snipers of World War II | Defense Media Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events