Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Anyone that is so stupid as to leave a loaded gun around kids should not be allowed to own a gun. And they should be charged with criminal negligence, child endangerment or worse if a kid is hurt as a result.

I have a big gun safe in my house and a lock box in my night stand. My gun is never just 'laying around' ... and we have no kids in our house. But I take safety seriously and you can have that and quick access (through a coded lockbox) to your weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 11:53 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still don't understand why criminal negligence charges are never filed in these cases. Until that happens, cases like this will continue to occur.
I've often heard of charges being filed in cases like this. Here is an example, there are many out there if you want to google for more.

Couple Charged After Child Wounded in Gun Mishap | WNEP.com

In some cases they may not bring those specific charges if there are enough other charges they can bring that are more easily proven and the kid is dead and they don't need the neglect charge to get them out of the household.

In the cut and dry situations like this one, charges are almost always brought.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv_desert View Post
Guns don't need to be laying all over the place though. Didnt they teach you that when you got your CCW?
In my state no training is required to purchase a gun or obtain a CCW.

I don't know what it's like elsewhere.

In my opinion you not only have to teach people once but you have to regularly remind them to use safe storage and handling practices. That behavior also has to be reinforced.

Most people are smart enough to know that but there are also plenty of yahoos who don't follow the rules.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
The four-year-old brother was interviewed:

"My three-year-old sister is a thug! I feared for my life! She looked like she was going for a weapon!"

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, there is no doubt pools are dangerous and adults who don't supervise them carefully have no excuse. However, we do a lot to encourage safety -- mandatory fencing, posted rules, lifeguards, liability insurance, teaching swimming, PSAs, etc.
Where?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
We need moar guns!
moar lawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssssssssssss man..............................

That fixes everything....

Old 08-21-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Where?
Where what? You've never seen stuff like mandatory fencing around pools, posted rules, lifeguards, liability insurance, teaching swimming, PSAs, etc.?

Old 08-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
These incidents are sadly, quite common - in this case, which is still being investigated, it appears a 2yo killed his dad with a gun.....

Alabama toddler apparently fatally shoots his father: cops - NY Daily News
Sounds like another case of failing to follow basic safe storage practices. This man had his loaded weapon under his own pillow and wound up getting shot and killed with it.

According to the the news,

"Chambliss carried a gun in a holster at all times, his family told AL.com, because he worked as a security guard at his church. He always kept the safety on, they maintained.

When he lay down for a nap while watching his son, he apparently put the semiautomatic gun under a pillow — and they believe that the boy found it and began playing with it."

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/i-hu...173047597.html

Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Where what? You've never seen stuff like mandatory fencing around pools, posted rules, lifeguards, liability insurance, teaching swimming, PSAs, etc.?
Mandatory fencing around pools? Nope, what state are you talking about?

Posted rules? Do you mean I have to post rules at my house if I have a pool?

I have to have a lifeguard at my house if I have a pool?

I have to have liability insurance if I have a pool at my house?

Teaching swimming is mandatory?

What is a PSA, Pretty Sexy Ass? Pretty Stupid Arrogance? Pretty Stupid American? PSA pesticide? Prostate Cancer Association? Professional Sports Authenticator?

Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM

And when it really matters, people just don't care.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2331544

Quote:
And next door, a lawn sign reads: "We Must Stop Killing Each Other."
Just say'n...

You don't care.....just admit it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events