Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Michael Sam says he's stepping away from football citing 'mental health' | Sport | The Guardian

Quote:
Citing worries for his own sanity, Michael Sam – professional football’s first openly gay player – is walking away from the game again. He left the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes on Friday and said he is taking time away from the game.

“The last 12 months have become very difficult for me to the point where I became concerned for my mental health,” Sam tweeted Friday evening. “Because of this, I am going to step away from the game at this time.”
I wonder what the problem is. Hope all is well soon, though. He may not be good enough for the NFL, but Sam does seem like a nice enough person and he's a role model for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 08:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Never has so much been written about such a marginal football prospect. Gay or straight, it doesn't seem like he is cut out for professional football.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Never has so much been written about such a marginal football prospect. Gay or straight, it doesn't seem like he is cut out for professional football.
At least not in the NFL. He seemed to be doing OK in the Canadian league. Not that I know how competitive that is.

I will give you that much has been made about a marginal player. Sure, he was SEC defensive player of the year, but he failed to show up on the big stage (and this was clear from the combine). Still, his position was newsworthy/historic, which is somewhat disappointing as the first openly gay player to actually perform well and start in the NFL won't be given the attention he deserves as a result of not being "first."

I wonder if the shame of not playing in the NFL broke him? I have to give it to Tim Tebow, though. He refused to play in the CFL after being released from the NFL; he knew that playing in the CFL was a step down and he wanted to improve himself outside of the CFL to where he was good enough to return to the NFL. And look at him now!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:33 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
At least not in the NFL. He seemed to be doing OK in the Canadian league. Not that I know how competitive that is.
He hadn't made a single tackle in the CFL. I think his mental health issues have more to do with him struggling to accept that his football career is over. There is a path for marginal players or overlooked players to demonstrate their worth in the CFL. Guys like Cameron Wake are an example of this, excelling at a lower level and getting attention at the NFL level. Former QB Jeff Garcia is another. Had Sam played well I think he would have gotten another look from NFL teams.

Montreal was very welcoming and accommodating to Sam, yet this is the second time that he's left the team, I'd say pretty much his career is done, I hope he finds something that makes him happy.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Michael Sam says he's stepping away from football citing 'mental health' | Sport | The Guardian

I wonder what the problem is. Hope all is well soon, though. He may not be good enough for the NFL, but Sam does seem like a nice enough person and he's a role model for many.
Lol@ Alouettes!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:

I've read that players and coaches have been resentful about the amount of attention he's gotten with no record to warrant it. So he's getting heat from everyone around him.

Between that and being mediocre, it would be tough to stick it out, I would think.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Lol@ Alouettes!
I didn't even catch that! Perhaps playing for a team bearing such a name did it? Especially when compared to what he left behind (or what he potentially had access to) in the NFL. All serious here.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've read that players and coaches have been resentful about the amount of attention he's gotten with no record to warrant it. So he's getting heat from everyone around him.

Between that and being mediocre, it would be tough to stick it out, I would think.
That would make sense. Then he broke up with his boyfriend, which I'd imagine only added to any issues.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
That would make sense. Then he broke up with his boyfriend, which I'd imagine only added to any issues.

I was unaware of that, but I agree. Things don't seem to be going well for him on any front. That's too bad, as he does seem like a decent guy.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Maybe he should be an announcer like the rest of them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events