Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:30 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Clinton did squat for crime rates.
If by "squat" you mean "greatest decreases in crime in the modern era" you would be correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I dunno much about NYC politics but wasn't it Guliani (sp?) that hired all the cops.
No. Dinkins hired all the cops (he was terrible, BTW).

What does "hiring cops" have to do with cutting crime? You really think people don't commit crimes because a department is doing some hiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 04:41 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Families are emotional wrecks during situations like these. I try not to take what they say in times of mourning too seriously.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:15 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If by "squat" you mean "greatest decreases in crime in the modern era" you would be correct.
Reported crime. Greatest decrease in reported crime, which is simple if you change the rules on what counts as a reportable crime,

Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
$5 in ammo was a good investment for the state.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I thought about this possibility overnight and it worries me. I do believe Obama comes from the U.S. but I don't believe he is committed to American traditions, law or the Constitution. His view of "change" is to smash away at these institutions.

I hope that if he tried to either cancel elections or find some "workaround" the term-limit amendment there would be a full-fledged rebellion. In that case I would support the use of force. This country is not Indonesia or some African country where leaders routinely suspend elections.
Dear god....you rube....they roll this chestnut out ever 4 years since forever.

Doesn't matter whom the president is, the guys selling gold and survival supplies start up the rumor mill and every single time it works with scared, weak=minded highly partisan suckers.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
The title of this thread rips my heart open. A mother's worst nightmare, no matter how it happens. Moms don't deserve that.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The title of this thread rips my heart open. A mother's worst nightmare, no matter how it happens. Moms don't deserve that.

18 arrest, she use to it by now

Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Reported crime. Greatest decrease in reported crime, which is simple if you change the rules on what counts as a reportable crime,
So your claim is that under the Clinton administration, the police departments of America all secretly fudged the crime numbers, in some vast national conspiracy?

Or is the more likely answer you just don't like Bill Clinton, so you would resort to completely outlandish claims to explain positive trends during the Clinton administration?

Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dear god....you rube....they roll this chestnut out ever 4 years since forever.

Doesn't matter whom the president is, the guys selling gold and survival supplies start up the rumor mill and every single time it works with scared, weak=minded highly partisan suckers.
This President is pushing through climate change rules and international commitments such as the Iran "agreement" without required Congressional assent. This President seems capable of anything at all.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:40 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So your claim is that under the Clinton administration, the police departments of America all secretly fudged the crime numbers, in some vast national conspiracy?

Or is the more likely answer you just don't like Bill Clinton, so you would resort to completely outlandish claims to explain positive trends during the Clinton administration?
Actually, the FBI changed the way UCR is reported. Any department who did not go along with the change (and there were definitely hold outs) ended up having "high" crime relative to everyone else who had dropping crime. It was no secret conspiracy; you can look up the UCR changes yourself.
I voted for Bill twice and would have again if he could have run. But that doesn't gloss over that the drop in crime is partly a reporting artifact.

Some cities actually did hold on to the old standards (which are voluntary anyway) so they could get more grant money. More infamously, the state of Illinois refused to use a revised rape definition, resulting in them being dropped from uniform reporting (hence why Chicago never appear in those "most dangerous" lists that various publisher derived from the uniform reports).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events