Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times

Advertisements

Do these higher property tax states offer higher deductions as in homestead exemptions or senior exemptions? I am in Miami-Dade County and Homestead Exemption is on the first $25000 of declared value. There is another exemption for senior age retirees to lessen the tax burden on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I wouldn't want a palace myself, but I'd sure love a home that is around 3,000+ square feet in a beautiful and safe neighborhood with lots of amenities and great weather like we have now, no "special taxes" or what is referred to here often as Mello-Roos taxes.

I'd love for our forever home to be right here in the San Francisco Bay Area; however, we have so many "newly wealthy immigrants" buying our properties for cash around here that we can't compete for the nicest homes in the best neighborhoods unless we pay in cash, and I don't want to do that.

States that don't tax out-of-state government pensions are good for us, in addition to those that don't tax income at all, but property tax in those states is often very high and with no limit on their rise.

Unless I'm mistaken, Texas property taxes can go up more than our fixed amount here of a maximum 2% (ever since Prop. 13 was passed in 1978.)
Well, all I can tell you is that before moving, spend several weeks in a state, at various times of the year, and really research ALL your costs - not just property taxes. That's my point.

We were very attracted to the Ouachita Mountains, for instance, in Arkansas. Now - Arkansas seems like a very low cost of living area, and we could have bought a GORGEOUS brand new home (we actually had it picked out - about 3200 square feet, loaded with amenities, in a resort area) for about $300,000 and the property taxes would have been lower than our property taxes in Texas.

But when we put pen to paper (or rather, stylus to smart phone), we realized that we would actually be out of pocket more than $7000 more per year in Arkansas, because of the state income tax. It really surprised us.

Like I said, cost of living involves a LOT more than simply property taxes. And conversely, some people don't mind paying more overall for the benefits of living in a particular area. So we just have to weigh what's most important to us.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Do these higher property tax states offer higher deductions as in homestead exemptions or senior exemptions? I am in Miami-Dade County and Homestead Exemption is on the first $25000 of declared value. There is another exemption for senior age retirees to lessen the tax burden on them.
In our county in TX, the first $15,000 assessed value qualifies for homestead exemption. For 65 and older, another $10,000 is added, plus the school tax portion of the property taxes can't be increased once age 65 has been reached, unless major improvements are made to the property. The property tax portion, however, can be increased. In our area the school taxes are more than 3 times the property tax portion.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:22 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
One thing that annoys me most about these lists is how random and incomplete they are. Connecticut is listed because we do pay high taxes to our towns but we do not have a county level of government so overall our taxes are a bit lower. I do not understand how New York is not on this list either. The taxes people pay on Long Island, Westchester and New York City are insane and that is where the bulk of people live in that state. I always take these stupid lists with a grain of salt since they are often overly simplistic and not well thought out. Jay

Old 08-19-2015, 12:46 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
We live in Round Rock, an Austin suburb and we pay a small amount under $10k per year in property taxes for a $400sK house. Our property tax rate is considered on the lower side at 2.3%. And our house was actually appraised slightly lower than comps by the taxing authority (suffice to say, we didn't protest this year). So we are paying $800 or so per month just in property tax, and that's with a homestead exemption. When you factor in the actual mortgage and other monthly housing payments, the so-called "cheap" Texas house costs as much as many higher priced homes elsewhere. That's why I chuckle when I hear people remark how "cheap" Texas is. Sure, it's less expensive than California or some parts of the East Coast, but it is ever increasing and unless you put down at least 20%, your $300k house can easily be $2000-$2500 month.

That being said, I hated paying three tiers of taxation in NYC. I like no income tax better. make less but my paycheck is actually

Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh yeah? "Doizey"? Bye.
Thanks. I started to reply to that truly inane post, and decided to save my fingertip skin.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. I started to reply to that truly inane post, and decided to save my fingertip skin.
Did you keep reading? It got better.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
"Now" I know? Please. NJ's been sh*t on for decades. My complaints are nothing new. Hence the fact that I'm tired of it.
I'll echo that! We hear the stupidest stuff about our state ALL the time.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wildwood is uninhabitable? Tell that to the 1000's of tourists vacationing there as we speak...Asbury park is in the middle of regentrification, I still have high hopes for AC with the plans for the future that have recently been approved. I give you Camden and Trenton. No chemical spills or issues in south Jersey, yes we are still the "Garden State" down here.
I laughed over that, too.

Yeah, there's Camden. Asbury Park has some great restaurants and music venues, and is far from uninhabitable.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You're a reliable source...

"Doizey." I do know how I talk, and it sure as hell isn't like that. I have never in my life heard a pronunciation even similar to that. If you're going to go with the stupid stereotypes, at least type "Joizey." But "DOIZEY"? What the hell is that?
And have you EVER in your life heard anyone from NJ actually pronounce the state "Joisey"? I've been here all my life, and my family has been in Bergen County since the 19th century. Don't know a soul who says it that way. It sounds like the old Bowery Boys movies or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events