Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

To be fair, sport venues have much more higher prices especially for tickets. Movie tickets can range from 7-18 USD depending on location for even three hour movies while sport events have $25 USD starting prices for two to three hour events. The food prices are virtually the same too. Then as I said earlier, most sport venues do have wanding and/or magnetometers for metal detection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
So A 16 year old checking bags for guns is a deterrent?

Ahhhhhh, no. The gun man now just open fires on the lobby instead of the the darkened theater.

It's smoke and mirrors to convince people they are trying but all it will really accomplish is to up concession sales.

If I were running a theater I'd check for both guns and food.

Number one, I'm running a for profit business, not a picnic area.

As to firearms, imagine a guy coming in with a .40 caliber in his pocket. He gets disarmed by a toddler who then blows somebody away. I would not want to be in the receiving end of that lawsuit.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I were running a theater I'd check for both guns and food.

Number one, I'm running a for profit business, not a picnic area.

As to firearms, imagine a guy coming in with a .40 caliber in his pocket. He gets disarmed by a toddler who then blows somebody away. I would not want to be in the receiving end of that lawsuit.
If you were the only theater for miles you'd probably get away with it but in an area with many theaters?
People would let you know real quick by not showing up.
You might have the right to do so but would go broke while exercising that right...

Old 08-22-2015, 06:07 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Theater owners are struggling to make a profit. These assaults cause potential customers to stay away. Bag checks for weapons are re-assuring.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To be fair, sport venues have much more higher prices especially for tickets. Movie tickets can range from 7-18 USD depending on location for even three hour movies while sport events have $25 USD starting prices for two to three hour events. The food prices are virtually the same too. Then as I said earlier, most sport venues do have wanding and/or magnetometers for metal detection.
True, but I argue that live action is worth more (at least in people's minds) than film is.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Theater owners are struggling to make a profit. These assaults cause potential customers to stay away. Bag checks for weapons are re-assuring.
Only for those who are generally afraid of everything. Most realize the "bag check" is nothing more than a show, it doesn't "assure" anything other than maybe that outside soda or box of milk duds ain't getting in.
Well, maybe it does assure one thing, if that pimple faced 16 year old checks a nutcase then the shooting will just start earlier.

Safest answer now? Don't spend any time in the lobby or around the snack bar aka the new shooting zone...

Old 08-22-2015, 08:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
To whom?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:28 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Have not set foot in a movie theatre in 20 years due to the outrageous ticket and snack prices, yacking, rude people, tall people obscuring my view, and just nasty floors and seats.
You could not pay me to go now with cell phoned idiots and maniacal, rifle wielding shooters on the loose.
Movie theatres will soon go the way of the video stores. Just you wait and see.
And I spent some of the best years of my childhood at the movies. But those days are long gone.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post

They didn't even bother to ask me to empty my pocket.. (don't worry about what's in my pocket)
Don't they know that they are checking the wrong people?

I can see it now...

"Sir, is that a Tootsie roll?"

"No, I'm just happy to see you."

[]

Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My bag has been searched every time I've gone to a concert. We went to the Renaissance Faire last weekend, and they poked around in there too. Stay at home if you want.
I've been sneaking stuff into concerts for over a quarter century now. Really wouldn't trip I wanted to get anything into a movie theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events