Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:00 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,977,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I send emails to public representatives expressing these ideas.

I donate to candidates who support such ideas.

There have even been times when I've done block walking for candidates who I feel were conservative libertarians.
Great. Keep it up. It's good to have a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 04:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I want equality laws. Human = Human.

No person should be at a disadvantage due to their genetics.

Good thing people like you are on the wayside though!
So all consumers should have to register with the federal government to ensure they are not discriminating against protected groups of business owners. OK. Consumers, like businesses need licenses!

Old 08-21-2015, 04:02 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,977,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Yes actually when you claimed that due to the fact that the SC had upheld the civil "rights" act violating that law should result in punishment due to the fact that it was the law of the land.
I said that the law was constitutional because it was upheld by the Supreme Court. That's as close to a tautology as you can have in US law. I also agree that the laws upholding slavery were, unfortunately, constitutional. That doesn't make them moral. People who are opposed to immoral laws can work to change them and/or practice civil disobedience. As many people did during the slavery era. You are free to do this as well to uphold your sacred right not to bake a gay wedding cake.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I said that the law was constitutional because it was upheld by the Supreme Court.
So slavery WAS constitutional in your opinion in 1856? After all it was upheld by the SC.

All heil the SC! One SC decision is not the ultimate arbiter in constitutionality, another party is also involved often known as "we the people"

Is it really that hard for you to see the consequences of that train of thought? Or are you intentionally ignoring it?

Last edited by dpm1; 08-21-2015 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
I want equality laws. Human = Human.

No person should be at a disadvantage due to their genetics.

Good thing people like you are on the wayside though!
We better make sure every town has a cake store that is open 24/7 so nobody will be at a disadvantage.

Let's make sure the government requires this.

Sorry, but this is still about hurt feelings. Nobody is going to die if they don't get a wedding cake. Only their feelings will be hurt. That is all the real suffering that will occur.

What's next the thought police?

"He doesn't like me because I'm Hispanic. I shouldn't have to suffer because of what ethnic group I belong. He needs reeducation."

Old 08-21-2015, 04:15 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,196,098 times
Quote:
If a government mandate prevents a bank from doing.business with a customer that is unconstitutional. If a bank chooses to? That is perfectly fine
Its perfectly okay for a bank to tell a woman she can't have an account unless her husband is on it? Really?

Old 08-21-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz1973 View Post
Point taken.

So would it then be okay for someone to go into a Kosher Bakery, or a Muslim bakery, and ask that a cake be made in the shape of a Jesus on the Cross?
Yes.

ETA: If they make crosses for other people. If they don't normally offer it, no.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Its perfectly okay for a bank to tell a woman she can't have an account unless her husband is on it? Really?
If that is how they choose to operate? Yes. What business is it of mine how a business I am not affiliated with does business?

Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,528,795 times
Why don't gays just take their business to bakeries that accept them, rather than forcing their lifestyle on someone who doesn't? To me, this whole issue smacks of a publicity stunt by the gay couple. Destroying someone's business should be a crime. This country is a disaster of political correctness run amok.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
If that is how they choose to operate? Yes. What business is it of mine how a business I am not affiliated with does business?
If you are a woman or care about women and equal right it is certainly your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events