Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 PM

96 posts, read 87,948 times

Advertisements

Just a thought....whatever happened to those signs we used to see in most businesses' windows or on a wall, that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? Remember those? When did they fade out? I hadn't realized that I haven't seen them in quite a while until reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
In a nutshell. How hard is it to grasp? Why does plain and simple writing NEED to be interpreted every other generation to skew the meaning to the current political mood? It means what it says, not what someone wants it to mean. Every 30 years some do gooder comes along who needs to reinterpret the constitution to suit him/her. It meant the same thing 225 years ago, DA.

What is not enumerated in the Constitution is left to the states or the people. Most should fall on the people.

Isn't "We, the people" the opening line? The people are mentioned a few times in the document as it gives us more power than government.

Any who don't believe it needs to read it with a tutor, study guide or take a remediatory history class.
The problem is many use their rights to infringe on other's rights. Who do you turn to in that case, sadly it's daddy government because you can ask five different individuals and get five different answers with their own reasoning.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanJ View Post
Just a thought....whatever happened to those signs we used to see in most businesses' windows or on a wall, that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? Remember those? When did they fade out? I hadn't realized that I haven't seen them in quite a while until reading this thread.
They still exist especially with gun rights in say states like Arizona. It isn't that common otherwise though due to the lengths people often go with them like say No Blacks Allowed.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
In a nutshell. How hard is it to grasp? Why does plain and simple writing NEED to be interpreted every other generation to skew the meaning to the current political mood? It means what it says, not what someone wants it to mean. Every 30 years some do gooder comes along who needs to reinterpret the constitution to suit him/her. It meant the same thing 225 years ago, DA.

What is not enumerated in the Constitution is left to the states or the people. Most should fall on the people.

Isn't "We, the people" the opening line? The people are mentioned a few times in the document as it gives us more power than government.

Any who don't believe it needs to read it with a tutor, study guide or take a remediatory history class.
Armory,

I marvel at people like you. Congress and state legislatures have passed these laws prohibiting discrimination. The Supreme Court has upheld these laws and said they are constitutional.

An amendment process is open to you to use if you don't like the decision. Yet, what do and some others try to do here?

You whine that, in essence, even though your side has lost every place that it counts that you ought to still have your way.

I'd remind everyone of a speech that President Eisenhower gave once when he sent federal soldiers to compel desegregation of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1957. Eisenhower made it clear that even though there are laws we like and laws that we don't like, that we have to obey all the laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzmtkhXAno

That's all that is going on here.

Go on complaining if you don't like it. Most people and the ones that matter disagree. You're engaged in a dance of dinosaurs.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanJ View Post
A little thing called the Civil Rights Act is what happened to the "We'll serve who we feel like serving" signs.

You can refuse service to anyone - but not for just any reason. Refusing service for some reasons is not allowed. These proscribed reasons include someone's race, someone's religion, someone's gender.

And, in some jurisdictions, someone's sexual orientation.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This is the Communist Secretariat, headquartered in London, not the US Constitution. Doesn't apply.
Yes it does but just to appease you.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/427/160/

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...n+and+Assembly

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/first_amendment

http://fff.org/explore-freedom/artic...f-association/

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-suprem...t/357/449.html

Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Bridal salons and custom bakeries are a "public necessity" only in the eyes of those who saw them as an opportunity to expand the state's interference with the economy for their own purposes, with possible financial gain and the expansion of the power that is their drug of choice.

It's the same old Leftist mantra of the end justifying any means available, and another demonstration of the axiom that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Under such "principles" (or lack of them), no one is safe.
When you advertise goods and services publicly you must sell to all. Why is this concept so difficult to master?

Old 08-22-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Is it discriminatory for them to refuse any of their business? Yes. Do I support discrimination? No (in fact I would never do business with this shop or any other similar shop I gladly support gay marriage. ). Should that be legal for them to discriminate? Yes.
Why should discrimination be legal and how do we solve institutional discrimination if we don't change laws to reflect the issues inherent in such a system? It has been proven that the market doesn't correct social ills.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
So if I oppose the speech of the WBC I must also oppose free speech?

Do you support free speech? Do you disagree with speech of the WBC? Per your logic, choose one
I don't support discrimination so I support anti-discrimination laws.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
You have no right to purchase a good or service from a private entity, which I suspect you already know.
Businesses do not have the legal right to discriminate against customers. I suspect you already know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events