Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And you might also go through a small town at 11:00 pm and find no restaurant open at all, so should be pass laws making restaurants open 24/7 to stop that inconvenience as well?
Are you seriously confused about the difference between these two cases?

Quote:
The government already makes decisions on things like what is taxable, where liquor can and can't be served, when tobacco can be sold or used, where guns can be taken, so yes, the government can come up with a list of essential services, and if you provide any of those essential services in you business, you most accommodate everyone.
And again I ask you, is that a good use of government resources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Are you seriously confused about the difference between these two cases?
Nope, because they are both about convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
And again I ask you, is that a good use of government resources?
Yes.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
I answered your question. Do I need to dumb down my answer for you? I don't mind doing so.
No, you didn't.

Here it is again:

Quote:
Was the entire Civil Rights movement merely about hurt feelings and convenience?

Quote:
Sorry, but the laws stopping discrimination by private businesses are wrong as well.
So you are okay with diners posting "No Blacks Allowed" in their windows?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No one should be forced to be friends with anyone. This whole thing has nothing to do with friendship.

If its a PRIVATE pool, no. If its a PUBLIC pool, yes.
The bakery is private, not public. And it may serve the public (at it's own discretion) but the public doesn't pay for it (not in tax dollars).

Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The bakery is private, not public. And it may serve the public (at it's own discretion) but the public doesn't pay for it (not in tax dollars).
No you see the bakery may be a privately owned business but it advertises its services to the public at large. Therefore they must accommodate the public in selling their products to all.

A pool owned by a private citizen on his own land is not at all synonymous with a private business that advertises publicly.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, you didn't.

Here it is again:
Ok, I'll dumb it down.

The civil rights movement was about government sponsored sanctions against black citizens. If the bakery was government run, it would be the same, but since it's not, it's quite different.

Quote:
So you are okay with diners posting "No Blacks Allowed" in their windows?
I'm ok with restaurants posting any of the following signs:
No Blacks
No Whites
No Hispanics
No Asians
No Gays
No Straights
No Christians
No Jews
No Muslims
No Atheists
No Blondes
No Men
No Women
No People Wearing Tank Tops
No People Wearing Crocs
No People Texting
No Children
No Seniors
No Europeans
No Spanish Speakers
No Hablan Ingles
No Guns
No Mullets
No Gingers
No Little People
No Tall People

Such signs clarify whom I should or shouldn't engage in business.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
No you see the bakery may be a privately owned business but it advertises its services to the public at large. Therefore they must accommodate the public in selling their products to all.

A pool owned by a private citizen on his own land is not at all synonymous with a private business that advertises publicly.
However, it is the public utilities that allow the swimming pool to function.

What difference does it make if a company advertises?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The bakery is private, not public.
She doesn't seem to understand that Rosa Parks was ARRESTED by agents of the government.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Ok, I'll dumb it down.

The civil rights movement was about government sponsored sanctions against black citizens. If the bakery was government run, it would be the same, but since it's not, it's quite different.
Titles II and III of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibited discrimination in public accommodations, including restaurants, hotels, theaters, stores and so on, and public facilities, in interstate commerce.

Mick

Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Titles II and III of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibited discrimination in public accommodations, including restaurants, hotels, theaters, stores and so on, and public facilities, in interstate commerce.

Mick
Of course, but the main issue was the government mandated discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events