Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Just sayin, this still doesn't seem like a bad idea for these people..........
It is theae people striving to obtain thoae weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 AM

119 posts, read 95,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Is this insane or what!?

The father of a 20-year-old woman let her drown in Dubai rather than let lifeguards rescue her.

The father preferred she drown rather than be dishonored by getting touched by male rescuers, reports Emirates 24 News.

Lt. Col. Ahmed Burqibah, deputy director of the Dubai police's search and rescue team, confirmed the incident happened.

The dad had taken his wife and children "to the beach when suddenly, the 20-year-old girl started drowning and screaming for help," Burqibah said.

"Two rescue men were at the beach and they rushed to help the girl. However," said Burqibah, the man "considered that if these men touched his daughter, then this would dishonor her. It cost him the life of his daughter."

Burqibah did not say when the incident took place.

"The father was a strong and tall man. He started pulling and preventing the rescue men and got violent with them. He told them that he prefers his daughter being dead than being touched by a strange man."

The woman drowned and the father was arrested for not allowing rescuers to do their job.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2319799
Headlines like this are why this song was written. An oldy but a goody from the old punk vaults.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHmTqoLjlXo

Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Just sayin, this still doesn't seem like a bad idea for these people..........
Now, that's a reasonable, rational, intelligent post. An ignorant, barbaric father causes the death of his own daughter, and your reaction would be to incinerate tens or even hundreds of millions of innocent men, women, and children.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me. I can see how that would be a totally logical thing to do under the circumstances.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Now, that's a reasonable, rational, intelligent post. An ignorant, barbaric father causes the death of his own daughter, and your reaction would be to incinerate tens or even hundreds of millions of innocent men, women, and children.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me. I can see how that would be a totally logical thing to do under the circumstances.
Lol, you can't fix ignorance, truly.

I actually question the validity of this story. Like those lifeguards would let a father prevent them from doing their job? Like they couldn't have overpowered him? Like others wouldn't have intervened? Mmmm, I doubt this story.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
This is hardly a current event as the original story says this incident happened many years ago. But it does fit an agenda.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,031 times
Quote:

Couldn't believe he wrote that either. Great post.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:

I thought it was funny. Guess I'm going to hell.

I took the point of that post as geared towards a region that is currently the site of extremism and turmoil, and (from a Western perspective) very backwards thinking. It's not the first time I've heard someone suggest (jokingly or not) we bomb the hell out of the Middle East.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
maybe the father was hoping "The Hoff" would show and he'd get to meet him

Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, you can't fix ignorance, truly.

I actually question the validity of this story. Like those lifeguards would let a father prevent them from doing their job? Like they couldn't have overpowered him? Like others wouldn't have intervened? Mmmm, I doubt this story.
Maybe the international coverage " made " Him getting arrested

I have friends that live in Dubai and some of the things they have told me i can believe that the father would let her drown for his beliefs

Old 08-21-2015, 09:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Maybe the international coverage " made " Him getting arrested

I have friends that live in Dubai and some of the things they have told me i can believe that the father would let her drown for his beliefs
This is coming from a region/religion where women are killed for being raped because their honor has been destroyed. I am not surprised at this story in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events