Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Church members have to pay their church dues!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
It's always been about $$$$$.
Pretty rare, but I'm sure it happens.

At the church I attend, they do the donations at the beginning of the service and essentially just say, "We are now going to take the offering. We ask that visitors fill out the information card and place it in the offering plate." and then the band plays. So out of the hour and fifteen minute service, we hear about offering for about 6 seconds.

That's been pretty much the case for every church I've visited.

I do admit that we visited this one church two times - Northeast Houston Baptist Church http://www.nehbc.com/ - and the pastor went on and on about donations. He kept talking about expanding the church and the need to build a bigger sanctuary, and on and on. I definitely got the feeling he was hoping to be the leader of a megachurch and have the notoriety that went with it.

Needless to say, there was not a third attendance by us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Is it? Source?
When people have such disdain for something, they are real quick to make assumptions and generalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Have they let her back in yet?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 AM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
If they're willing to do this, I say the IRS should take away the tax exempt status of the church.

I'm willing to bet if anyone here has worked retail, they have seen the tax exempt status abused by the church. Since they're mandating that people pay, it's not voluntary anymore with a letter like that, they should be considered a for profit agency and pay taxes just like everyone else.

THIS is what makes you think that? I say they should've lost tax exempt status years ago whether or not they kicked this lady out.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:46 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,133 times
This whole situation makes me sick to my stomach. I bet God isn't very happy at all with his shepherds that choose to do opposite of his teachings.

Churches do need money to run and stay afloat and yes, that does come from tithing, contributions and fund raisers done by that church.

When I did attend church up until the age of 31, it wasn't about money. It was about learning the teachings, commandments, fellowship and community. We had people such as my parents that would visit every member in the hospital and the shut ins. My Mom used to take the elderly to their Dr. appointments or take them food long before Meal On Wheels came about. We had other members that would go and pick up those that didn't have transportation to church. I used to take my grandmother and aunt every Sunday to different churches because neither of them drove. As kids, we'd make small Easter baskets and take them to the elderly buildings. The members of the church would do the painting and minor improvements they were qualified to do. My brother attends a rich church and he's a network administrator. He gives his services to the less fortunate inside and outside of church. He builds computers out of old computers for single Mothers in need. He follows what he was taught and I do know there's many people like him and many good faith based organizations and leaders that do practice what they preach.

This minister, nor his parishioners were there in this woman's time of need. She got sick in March of 2015. They didn't visit her, they didn't take up a collection to help her pay for her medicines or volunteer their time. She needed spiritual and maybe a little financial help from the church she had tithed to and was very active in when she was able bodied for 50 years of her life! They turned their back on her when she needed them the most. Is that what this spiritual woman deserved because she was unable to tithe for FOUR MONTHS out of fifty years? Why weren't parishioners helping this woman?

It's bad enough that the society we live in throws our seniors and elders to the curb when they no longer can do for us. It's an outright disgusting shame when a SO-CALLED man of God sees her as nothing but a dollar sign. I also feel the parishioners of the church that don't have the guts to stand up to this piece of garbage are as guilty as he is.
THEY ALL should have been there for her.

Google his name. I read a bio on him the other day and I can't find it now. It boasted of his accomplishments and he's world known and does several speaking engagements. I couldn't find any of these so called speaking engagements. They're probably lies to pad his bio. I'm sure he gets a hefty penny for those speaking engagements. I wonder if he tithes the profits he's making from that. It's difficult for the IRS to audit churches, but maybe they should audit this man because I highly doubt he practices what he preaches.

No one from this church will come forth and speak on this issue. Why would that be? I see it as guilt because there is NO REASONABLE LOGIC OR CHRISTIANITY ANSWER FOR WHAT WAS DONE TO JOSEPHINE KING BY PASTOR DERRICK MIKE.

Do unto others? I guess he excludes himself from that commandment. You reap what you sow in life and he will have to answer for this and others he's done the same to.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Bainbridge is a little town of about 12,000 in south Georgia, close to the Florida state line. It's a dreary little town. To do this to a sick, elderly woman who has been a member for almost all her life is truly disgusting. But since it's a small town, I don't doubt that there are other factors and personalities in play that we know nothing about. I doubt the church expected the kind of negative publicity that they have received and will continue to receive. Who would want to attend a church like that? I wonder if their membership is going to take a nosedive -- THAT would be the ultimate consequence, few church members would mean even LESS money!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Church members have to pay their church dues!!

Oh, well...you don't need to go to church to be faithful to God.

[take the high ground Ms. King]

This!

[From what I've always been told is salvation is free.]

Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Churches should not be labeled as "non-profit" it's a "for-profit" enterprise.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
It is my hope that others in the church will see this and, the next service has zero in attendance.
All those that come to worship God, can do so outside of that church, calmly gathering outside of the church, holding hands and praising God as they would do inside - only THIS TIME the inside of the church is empty...

Maybe that would get some attention...

Old 08-24-2015, 12:18 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
The church has all the leverage now - she's 92 and could go any moment.

Mick

Old 08-24-2015, 12:29 PM

377 posts, read 670,301 times
Religion is so freaking stupid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events