Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times

Advertisements

I also jumped the church ship decades ago. As with any governing agency, churches are all about power, control and money. They use God, Jesus and the Bible (and our fears) to reel in that money.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29 explains what true tithing is, but the church never preaches that passage. Tithing of old was for the poor, not for the church, not for the pastor. Today we "tithe" through our taxes and charities. And we give a whole lot more than 10% every three years.

"28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Thanks for the response. What a pity that you were correct ... BTW ... a pat on the back for nailing the Rabbi.

El Nox
Thanks for the rep.

The genesis (pun intended) of the meeting was the Rabbi's remarks after he and other Rabbis properly waked out of Trump's smarmy presentation to Jews at an AIPAC conference in March in Washington, DC. The Rabbi said he was upset by commentary to the effect of "what do you expect from a Reform rabbi?" I sent him a lengthy and generally complimentary email about his remarks and said that I wanted to address his concerns off the record and not in print.

The gist of it was in harmony with this thread; that people are increasingly seeing religious bodies as aiming at fundraising for the sake of fundraising. The most blatant example was the impatience of other clergy with post-death minion services and their eagerness to say "I have to go now."

Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I'm not Jewish, but isn't the word you want to use for the quorum of 10 Jewish men needed for a prayer service "minyan"?

"Minion" means something very different.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:09 PM

439 posts, read 517,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This church should be stripped of their non-profit status. If they're going to demand money for services rather than be a haven of faith even for those in need, then they're nothing but a business and should be taxed as such.
AGreed.

I am a devout Christian, yet I don't attend a church (at least not right now).

People are saved by faith and not by works anyway (read the Bible) so no one is under compulsion to give. Giving won't save you.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:34 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not Jewish, but isn't the word you want to use for the quorum of 10 Jewish men needed for a prayer service "minyan"?

"Minion" means something very different.
It's the phonetic spelling of a Hebrew word so while you're using the better phonetic spelling it doesn't make a difference. A Minyan is a mini-service, with a minimum of 10 people, conducted for any variety of reasons. A common one is an observance at the home of a grieving person. Rabbis and cantors don't like spending much time at them since the customary tip or gift to the Temple is small. To paraphrase H.R. "Bob" Haldemann's famous statement "how many votes are there in the Italian Lira" man probably ask themselves "how much money is there in grieving, sobbing relatives?"

Old 06-30-2016, 04:18 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
When judgement day comes, no person, no church or brick, wood or mortar will change what transpires between me and God. My actions and faith are personal and no one but me will have to account for them. My church is my body and and my mind and any place I happen to be. Thus I avoid most 'religious' buildings and people.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:24 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's the phonetic spelling of a Hebrew word so while you're using the better phonetic spelling it doesn't make a difference. A Minyan is a mini-service, with a minimum of 10 people, conducted for any variety of reasons. A common one is an observance at the home of a grieving person. Rabbis and cantors don't like spending much time at them since the customary tip or gift to the Temple is small. To paraphrase H.R. "Bob" Haldemann's famous statement "how many votes are there in the Italian Lira" man probably ask themselves "how much money is there in grieving, sobbing relatives?"
Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events