Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:33 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,457,155 times

Advertisements

Thinking about requesting an Uber car for your next night out? You might want to read this article first: Sex offenders, convicted murderer find jobs at Uber - Aug. 20, 2015

Apparently Uber does not do a very thorough background investigation of people who apply for jobs as drivers with its company. In California, registered sex offenders, a kidnapper, identity thieves and a convicted murderer were all able to pass Uber's background check and start driving people around.

As someone who currently works as an Uber driver, I can't say that I am really surprised to learn this. Driving for Uber is the only job I've had in my 30+ years in the working world where I never met face to face with anyone prior to being hired. All I had to do to get a job was submit a copy of my driver's license, car registration and insurance ID card to Uber online, and within a week or so they got back to me and said I could start working at any time. It's not that difficult for someone to provide falsified documents such as those requested by Uber if he or she is trying to hide their true identity. I was never fingerprinted, so Uber has no way of knowing that I am who I say I am. In addition, all Uber requires concerning your vehicle is that it is a 2005 or newer sedan, and it is currently insured. A 10 year old car can have a lot of miles on it, and a lot of problems. Would you want the car your Uber driver is taking you around in to suddenly break down on the highway or get into a crash because it's not properly maintained? Uber never did any sort of inspection of my car before they hired me. They didn't even ask for any photos of it to make sure I wouldn't be driving customers around in some rusted out, beat-up old clunker. Uber also does not do any drug testing on its applicants prior to allowing them to drive. A professional driver working for a limousine and car service, on the other hand, usually has to be drug tested annually (and subject to random testing at the discretion of his employer) and also has to regularly complete a defensive driving course. Uber does not require this of any of its independent contractors providing transportation for customers.

Read the article for yourself, and please share it with your friends who currently use Uber or may be thinking about it. Is saving a few dollars on cab fare really worth the risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,872,492 times
You know, I drove a cab for a while back in my early 20's and after all that I saw/went through I don't understand why someone would want to be basically all alone driving people they don't know in a car not set up for the job and a driver that has NO training.
At least with a regular cab there's a dispatcher and radio contact with other drivers not to mention GPS locators,a barrier between you and a nutcase and nowadays a panic button.

In most major cities if a cop sees a cab in a weird place or acting strange they'll notice and generally check to see what's going on.
If a regular cabbie has a real issue like a dangerous run-in with a fare most other cabbies will know about it quickly and watch out.

Uber? None of the above. You are just another car on the street that's despised by regular cabbies.

Is it really worth that extra dough?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,509,129 times
I bet more people get assaulted, rapes or muedered in privately driven vehicles than Uber cars. No one cares about that because?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:34 PM

8,867 posts, read 11,651,647 times
These people were convicted, went to prison and paid for their crimes. Now they should not be allowed to work to support themselves?

From the Article:

"One Uber driver was convicted of second-degree murder in 1982. He spent 26 years in prison, was released in 2008 and applied to Uber. A background report turned up no records relating to his murder conviction. He gave rides to over 1,100 Uber customers. "

Did this guy assault, harm, or murder any of the 1,100 customers he provide service for?

Being unable to find a job will more likely cause to him to commit crimes again and become a burden to society.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:45 PM

203 posts, read 171,698 times
These types of people tend to find there way into the workforce in any number of occupations, so how is this different?

Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 PM

16,850 posts, read 10,483,795 times
This is why taxi services have regulation. Uber is illegal in many places. It passes itself off as a rideshare service but it is just an illegal taxi service.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:59 PM

42,743 posts, read 25,909,163 times
In California a criminal history check can only go back 7 years unless it is for the purposes of licensing, certain occupations i.e. nurse, psychiatric tech, doctor, or public safety employment. So if someone has not been arrested or has not been on parole for the past 7 years it won't show up in a back ground check. It's not an "uber" thing, it applies to every employer in the State with the exceptions that I listed above. If someone has not been arrested in 7 years, maybe it's time to give them another chance, dontcha think?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 PM

6,618 posts, read 2,815,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
These people were convicted, went to prison and paid for their crimes. Now they should not be allowed to work to support themselves?
Ah, a lone voice of reason in a media-manipulated and paranoid world where people just love to pin labels on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
From the Article:

"One Uber driver was convicted of second-degree murder in 1982. He spent 26 years in prison, was released in 2008 and applied to Uber. A background report turned up no records relating to his murder conviction. He gave rides to over 1,100 Uber customers. "

Did this guy assault, harm, or murder any of the 1,100 customers he provide service for?

Being unable to find a job will more likely cause to him to commit crimes again and become a burden to society.
Good post. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 PM

232 posts, read 249,993 times
I don't know that this makes me feel any less safe than I would in a cab. I've ridden in some very iffy and uncomfortable cabs in my life driven by some very shady and skeevy cab drivers. I think it's a toss up and I like at least having a choice. Plus I can see feedback on any given Uber driver and how well they are rated. That at least gives me something to go on. I still like Uber and having that choice. I still think I'd feel safer with an Uber driver than a taxi cab driver in most cases.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,509,129 times
A lot of this is taxi company driven, not a huge concern among typical people. Just how many murders and rapes are we talking about? Time for a reality check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events