Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
You and the maybe what, 10 coworkers experiences means that 41 million Black people tip lower on average?
yeah, no kidding...Before I married my second husband I dated a Jewish guy who had plenty of money (he owned a PR firm in the SF Bay area) and he wouldn't leave a tip if his life depended on it, I always made sure I carried enough cash that I could leave a decent tip on our way out. So I guess that makes me an expert and now I can assert that Jewish people don't leave tips

Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Even with all of the noise what's out there I'm pretty confident that race relations have stayed flat since 2008. More people have smartphones so more of the ignorant nonsense that blacks have experienced from white supremacists have been caught on camera. Black people have been getting beat up and killed by police, white supremacists have always hated blacks and tried their best to disenfranchise us, and conservatives have always opposed legislation that helps minorities. Nothing has changed much. The worst of society is still doing what they have always done.

I'll give you one thing. The status quo white supremacists hate Obama. He stands for everything they're against. America is changing and the old guard won't retire without a fight.
No need to "give me" anything. I stand by my original statement, which was that race relations seem to have deteriorated in this country over the past six or so years - a time frame that happens to coincide with Obama's administration, though I did not blame him for the problem in my earlier post or in this one.

By the way, I notice in your litany regarding race relations, you place a lot of blame and criticism on white folks and not a bit of blame on anyone else, when it comes to bad, or abusive, or threatening, or criminal behavior from one race toward another. I would take you more seriously if you were more fair and honest in your assessment of the issue.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-26-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM

607 posts, read 602,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yeah, no kidding...Before I married my second husband I dated a Jewish guy who had plenty of money (he owned a PR firm in the SF Bay area) and he wouldn't leave a tip if his life depended on it, I always made sure I carried enough cash that I could leave a decent tip on our way out. So I guess that makes me an expert and now I can assert that Jewish people don't leave tips
Totally different from working in the restaurant industry for several years and waiting on all types of people thousands of times. I actually have the experience to back up my claim - I'm not saying this from waiting on ONE black person who tipped me like sh*t.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Hahaha, point proven.

@2Sleepy, yep!

Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I wanted to give you a 'rep point' but this forum says I need to 'spread the love around' and give other people some rep points first. What a bunch of HOOEY!

The mainstream media in this country is fueling the fires of racial unrest and they are having a ball doing it. They will absolutely love it if cities start getting burned to the ground with race riots.
I agree. Fortunately, some black folks are seeing this for what it is as well. He has some great insights in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlXqToAR95o

Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No need to "give me" anything. I stand by my original statement, which was that race relations have deteriorated in this country over the past six or so years - a time frame that happens to coincide with Obama's administration, though I did not blame him for the problem in my earlier post or in this one. By the way, I notice in your litany regarding race relations, you place a lot of blame and criticism on white folks and not a bit of blame on anyone else, when it comes to bad, or abusive, or threatening, or criminal behavior from one race toward another. I would take you more seriously if you were more fair and honest in your assessment of the issue.
In response to your concern that blacks should be doing more to fight racism-
"Can blacks be racist? The answer, of course, will depend on how you define racism. If you define it as “prejudice against or hatred toward another race,” then the answer is yes. If you define racism as “the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race,” the answer is yes. And if you define racism as “prejudice and discrimination rooted in race-based loathing,” then the answer is, again, yes. However, if you define racism as “a system of group privilege by those who have a disproportionate share of society’s power, prestige, property, and privilege,” then the answer is no. In the end, it is my opinion that individual blacks can be and sometimes are racists. However, collectively, blacks are neither the primary creators nor beneficiaries of the racism that permeates society today."
David Pilgrim

Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM

335 posts, read 325,124 times
Oh man, you guys are gonna love this one. Hang with me and I'll try to condense it so not to make the story drag. I worked at a restaurant/ banquet place as a bartender back in the day. On slow Sundays, the manager would leave and let the senior room captain handle the phones and future bookings. A black couple comes in and asks about the packages the place has to offer. The captain explains the options and when he gets to the dessert part says " We can supply cake or in lieu of cake, you can have ice cream" The black man looks up dumbfounded and asks the captain " This "lewa" cake anything like a cupcake???" Can't make this stuff up.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Totally different from working in the restaurant industry for several years and waiting on all types of people thousands of times. I actually have the experience to back up my claim - I'm not saying this from waiting on ONE black person who tipped me like sh*t.
you betcha

Old 08-26-2015, 09:57 PM

607 posts, read 602,070 times
Quote:
you betcha
Actually, it is completely different - anyone in their right mind can understand how different it is. So right back at ya.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
In response to your concern that blacks should be doing more to fight racism-
"Can blacks be racist? The answer, of course, will depend on how you define racism. If you define it as “prejudice against or hatred toward another race,” then the answer is yes. If you define racism as “the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race,” the answer is yes. And if you define racism as “prejudice and discrimination rooted in race-based loathing,” then the answer is, again, yes. However, if you define racism as “a system of group privilege by those who have a disproportionate share of society’s power, prestige, property, and privilege,” then the answer is no. In the end, it is my opinion that individual blacks can be and sometimes are racists. However, collectively, blacks are neither the primary creators nor beneficiaries of the racism that permeates society today."
David Pilgrim
You and I will have to agree to disagree on our definitions of racism. We've already beat this horse to death on another thread.

By the way, you're putting words into my mouth that I did not say - nor was I thinking them for that matter. Quit trying to make it seem as if I'm expressing some sort of concern that "blacks should be doing more to fight racism." That is not the topic I was addressing and you're free to discuss that on your own but I'm not discussing it with you on this thread, mainly because of your attempt to shove words into my mouth.

My point was that the divisions - and divisiveness - along racial lines seems more intense and deliberate now than it was, say, ten or twenty years ago. To me. Maybe that's true and maybe it's not but that's how it seems to me, and it's sad ... to me.

Not sure how you can argue with me about my own opinion and emotions based on my own personal experiences and observations but I'm pretty sure you'll try to find a way to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events