Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I see. A costume of Caitlyn Jenner for being Caitlyn Jenner? How is that funny? Or scary, as this is Halloween? If people think that it is, they need to grow a brain and/or a heart.

People with brains know that a man has a penis and a woman has a vagina and there's something called DNA.

Let's face the real truth, which is that Jenner has some marbles loose.

I guess it's a good think he doesn't believe he's a Belgian Malinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Caitlyn Jenner Halloween Costume Sparks Internet Outrage: 'Disgraceful,' 'Transphobic'

I agree with the level of outrage. Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) took coming out as a very serious, if public event. Making fun/light of the situation, whether you agree with Caitlyn's lifestyle choice or not, seems to be in poor taste. Not to mention that it is demeaning and insulting to others who are going through this experience.
Go pick out a costume. Any costume.

I will tell you how it offends me.

P.S. He's a public figure BY CHOICE....you are open to parody and other stuff. Is it always fair? No. Is it always tasteful? No. But don't freakin' cry when you create a public persona and then ooooh it becomes a public persona....

Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Caitlyn Jenner Halloween Costume? I say, "Oh well..."

The question of Jenner being "normal" or "not" is a Red Herring.

All that matters is this:

Which of the following adds more hurt, harm, or degradation of others to the world:
1) Jenner remaining an anatomical male.
2) Jenner becoming female.

If there were greater misery for Jenner not expressing "his" femininity (pre-op) than...
there was misery for others about Jenner no longer being male....
then I'm all for him getting his anatomical reassignment.

Why do people get in a huge fit about whether one is "abnormal" or not? In fact, if you ask me, traditional definitions of "abnormal" simply lack credibility. In other words, I lost faith a long time ago in society's definition of "normal" and "abnormal" person - at least as conventionally understood.

If "abnormal" is a valid concept at all, it's actually based in how consistently shabby a person treats others - NOT on how effortlessly a person conforms to society's expectations for their gender, or race, or any other aspect of their personhood.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Go pick out a costume. Any costume.

I will tell you how it offends me.

P.S. He's a public figure BY CHOICE....you are open to parody and other stuff. Is it always fair? No. Is it always tasteful? No. But don't freakin' cry when you create a public persona and then ooooh it becomes a public persona....
Again, where is she crying about this?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM

114 posts, read 112,323 times
Quote:
I see. A costume of Caitlyn Jenner for being Caitlyn Jenner? How is that funny? Or scary, as this is Halloween? If people think that it is, they need to grow a brain and/or a heart.
A dude wearing a Caitlyn Jenner costume would be truly frightening, so that definitely fits your definition of what a costume should be. But since when did costumes have to be funny or scary to qualify as costumes? Anything goes when it comes to Halloween costumes.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
If they hadn't made an official one, I guarantee someone would've done it on their own. Then, pictures would be posted on the internet and BAM next year some company would've made one anyway.

Welcome to Halloween, in any circle of college kids, young adults(heck even adult adults) its always a little bit offensive for one reason or another.

No one is going to trick or treat in it, so if you don't want to offended, don't attend parties or look at anything on the internet

Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Caitlyn Jenner Halloween Costume Sparks Internet Outrage: 'Disgraceful,' 'Transphobic'

I agree with the level of outrage. Caitlyn (formerly Bruce) took coming out as a very serious, if public event. Making fun/light of the situation, whether you agree with Caitlyn's lifestyle choice or not, seems to be in poor taste. Not to mention that it is demeaning and insulting to others who are going through this experience.
Comedy is often distasteful. The costume is harmless. It's funny because it's a funny outfit (that was Jenner's choice), because it shows the crotch full frontal (Jenner's choice), and because he's the most famous person to go through the change and because it IS odd (compared to what most people in the world do and don't do). People should lighten up. It's harmless.

A costume of a kid with cancer - now THAT'S outrageous. A costume of a skin tight swimsuit with private parts folded of a biological male that is spoofing the world-famous pic on the cover of a mag? Maybe bad taste, but not outrageous.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
You think they're outraged now? Wait 'til they see the Cecil the Lion costume.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
My prediction: In 5 years, Bruce will go back to being Bruce and will be laughing all the way to the bank with his book deals, movies, and his new show on Bravo "I'm Bruce....again".

Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 AM

89 posts, read 146,538 times
Quote:

You mentioned that Caitlyn's lifestyle is a choice. Being transsexual is not a choice and it is not a lifestyle. It's not a lifestyle no more than being a woman is a lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events