Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
These "don't like it don't buy it" reactions are disturbing but NOT the least bit surprising. Lots of ignoramuses on this forum. No one would ever consider putting out a Laverne Cox costume, so why is a Caitlyn Jenner costume considered fair game?
Possibly for being part of the First Family of Media Whoredom for so many years? I always felt sorry for Bruce in that house of women who seemed to emasculate him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Some people have no sense of humor anymore. People need to stay home locked in their closets & not come out. Get over your PC self.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"Don't like it don't but it" is part of the freedom we have and value in this country. Just because it's not "PC" doesn't mean it should be illegal. "Don't like it don't buy it" is the perfect mentality. YOU don't have to support it, but others have the freedom, too, and that's a good thing.
So making a costume of a person who happens to be transsexual is just a case of being un-PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Because nobody knows who that is?
She's been on the cover of Time, on the cover of Entertainment Weekly, and is in a popular tv show. Nope, nobody knows who she is.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:00 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
So if you wear a Hitler costume it is funny, but if you wear a Caitlyn costume, it is a crime?

If you are a man, posing in women's clothing, you gotta assume that some people will make fun of it. Especially if you get millions for exposing your private life. Caitlyn/Bruce pretty much signed up for being criticized.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Because nobody knows who that is?
You're right. I just had to Google the name to see who that was. lol.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
You're right. I just had to Google the name to see who that was. lol.
Same here...

Old 08-25-2015, 02:11 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
If a dude wants to dress as Laverne Cox for Halloween, he'll be a man dressed as a chick. I doubt anyone would get offended.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
So making a costume of a person who happens to be transsexual is just a case of being un-PC?
If you even want to go that far, yeah. Bruce/Caitlyn was/is famous and has been since the 70s. Bruce was on TV for nearly 10 years with the very famous Kardashians. This is a well-known person who has made a major life change and put him and then herself out there, gone very public with it. This costume is a trend like any other that occurs yearly based on something in pop culture or a celebrity life that happened that year. Each year people dress up as public figures and celebrities, sometimes in admiration and sometimes because they hate that person and are making fun of them in costume.

Stop with the faux outrage. It's annoying. I have seen plenty of offensive costumes through the years that, sometimes, people barely cared about. Sexy/dirty nuns, priests, terrorists (strapped on "bombs" and everything), Osama bin Laden, Boston bombing victims, etc. These may be in bad taste, but this Caitlyn Jenner thing isn't the only costume people will find offensive and get up in arms about. The bottom line is, however terrible some people think it may be, 1. people will always have a right to dress up as whoever or whatever they want and if this country is going to stay America, will never change, and 2. people need to either focus on every offensive costume and not pick on just one, because there really are a lot, or just get over it and ignore them all.

Terribly un-PC or rude costumes have been circulating for years and only certain ones garner the true outrage, which itself is preposterous.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
What is wrong with that costume? Some guys like to dress up like girls for Halloween. Maybe they are inspired by Jenner but are too frightened to take the big leap he did??

Maybe people just have bad taste?

Maybe people are tired of being PC?

I don't think it is an attack on any group of people like transgendered or gay or whatever.

I remember the days when Benny Hill dressed up in womans clothes all the time. It was funny but I guess we missed the point because we were supposed to be outraged.

If guys want to wear a silly costume like this one than why not. IT is NOT a political statement or an attempt to trash on transgendered people it is simply fun.

People need to relax a bit.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:20 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So if you wear a Hitler costume it is funny, but if you wear a Caitlyn costume, it is a crime?

If you are a man, posing in women's clothing, you gotta assume that some people will make fun of it. Especially if you get millions for exposing your private life. Caitlyn/Bruce pretty much signed up for being criticized.
Did my trans niece in law that works in customer service and is constantly subjected to mean, patronizing, nasty and threatening comments to her face from the general public sign up for it too?

I don't really care about the costume, but the abject nastiness people think it's okay to throw at someone who's done nothing to deserve it really wads my delicates.

You can argue Caitlyn deserves everything she gets because she's famous, but it doesn't stop there. It gives some people license to be super cruel to all transgenders. Sometimes being PC just means don't be such a rude arse to people you know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events