Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Sounds to me as though she was planning this the entire 3 years, so if she was smart, a good portion of that 70K a year was set aside for the future. What I'd like to know is, is she eligible for a pension? Or was she paying into a retirement plan? Not sure how it works up in Canada. But if she does get a pension, or have a big retirement plan she can cash out, I don't think she has to worry about a new career.

Because the flip side of being out of her career at a young age is that she still has half her life to pick a whole new direction and build a new career, and possibly with a nice chunk of taxpayer money.
Normally you have to reach a certain number of points (years worked + age) to actually receive your pension or a pension pay out. In the US, that number is 80 or 85 so she would have to be 55 or 60 years old to receive that pension.
The catch here is that credited years expire if you resign. It varies by department, but some expire the years as soon as 2 years after you resign. You still get your pension at normal retirement age, whatever that is defined as for the plan, but I have seen that be as high as age 72.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not entirely true, her career is over and at a very young age.
She worked there 25 years, how young do you consider very young?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Why is it the prosecution is being dropped because she is resigning?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Normally you have to reach a certain number of points (years worked + age) to actually receive your pension or a pension pay out. In the US, that number is 80 or 85 so she would have to be 55 or 60 years old to receive that pension.
The catch here is that credited years expire if you resign. It varies by department, but some expire the years as soon as 2 years after you resign. You still get your pension at normal retirement age, whatever that is defined as for the plan, but I have seen that be as high as age 72.
I agree that formulas for age/ # of years worked vary, but I've never heard of losing your vesting federal law covers this and once you meet the vesting requirements of your plan, you remain vested. And I don't know if an employer can offer a retirement plan that is not covered by ERISA What You Should Know About Your Retirement Plan

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
She was not charged as in a criminal complaint, just as a internal volition of policy.

From what I read Police (type) officers in Canada get full eligibility for retirement @ 25 years of service with no minimum age limit .

The payment would be actuary (I guess) lowered to current age from 65 or 67.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree that formulas for age/ # of years worked vary, but I've never heard of losing your vesting federal law covers this and once you meet the vesting requirements of your plan, you remain vested. And I don't know if an employer can offer a retirement plan that is not covered by ERISA What You Should Know About Your Retirement Plan
Yeah, you don't lose your vesting. You just have to wait longer to get your pension.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Re: scamming the system. I know of two officers, male, female, date, get married. Both work in different commands [same PD] Some how both receive on the job injuries. Both file for disability. Both receive 3/4 disability pay. Then they filed for bankruptcy.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Still less than the CEO's who get the golden parachute and nobody does anything about that.
Public vs private. Really? We had to point this out to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events