Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oooohhhh, that's OK then. That's an acceptable number of gun deaths. Except for those 30,000 people and their families, of course.
You're never going to have a perfect crime rate (aka 0). As long as criminals have guns, and criminals with illegal guns are responsible for the majority of gun crimes and deaths, you're going to have murders and assaults. The vast majority of legal gun owners never commit a crime with their guns. They just have them for hunting, protection, or occasional shooting as a hobby. The real issue is illegal guns in the hands of criminals, often in cities, who use them to commit crimes. They are who we have to worry about more than anyone else. Also, any mentally disturbed person with any weapon is scary.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Take this tragic incident as a perfect example. No matter what happens, the control nuts come out and eventually state they aren't for confiscation until they get backed into their own ideas and can't explain them. Then they start attacking individuals. Finally they slink away after having failed to discuss anything directly. Add throwing whatever they think will stick to the walls and there you have it.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Bingo? This person is advocating for banning things already in possession. What do you do with things that are already in peoples possession and you ban them? The word is confiscate.
"Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I am for gun control. I am not nor have I ever been, nor are any of my liberal and progressive friends, for confiscation of guns. Where have you seen any sort of movement calling for confiscation of guns? Paranoid much?

I am however for more stringent background checks, ban of automatic and assault weapons for personal use, ban of cop killer bullets that penetrate vests, waiting periods rather than point of sale delivery at gun shows, and things like that."

Sorry to disagree but in any context you wish to hypothesize, the first sentence stipulates the terms while later ones stipulate conditions. The above quoted poster was quite clear on that.

At any rate most "automatic" weapons are already banned or heavily restricted with already owned weapons characterized as "assault weapons" probably grandfathered.

You know there is already "grandfathering" of ownership of weapons that have been later designated restricted ownership for those who do not fit the criteria but at the time of purchase did so legally.

There must take place reasoned discussion with the rights of the law abiding people foremost in mind but this 'willy-nilly everyone's right regardless of circumstance' just isn't working.

The foremost place to start is active enforcement and compliance with already existing laws; without that, adding new ones would be a pointless and fruitless endeavour.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
White shooter?

..surprise.
He was black.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
To put this into context, Silver explained, the murder rate for white Americans is similar to the murder rate for people living in Finland, Chile or Israel. The murder rate for black Americans, on the other hand, is similar to the rate found “in developing countries that are war zones even, like Myanmar, or Rwanda, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, places that have vast disorder. To me that stat was so striking that I thought this was a case where even if you kinda zoomed out, that was a data point that helped to inform the discussion.”"
Thanks for the link. I eluded to this in a previous post but didn't have the data. Can just look across town to see it. We need to compare parts of our society to the third world statistics. Also, there are similar findings with our educational levels - our highest level students can compete with high-achieveing students around the world, but our lower levels are comparable to undeveloped nations.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I am for gun control. I am not nor have I ever been, nor are any of my liberal and progressive friends, for confiscation of guns. Where have you seen any sort of movement calling for confiscation of guns? Paranoid much?

I am however for more stringent background checks, ban of automatic and assault weapons for personal use, ban of cop killer bullets that penetrate vests, waiting periods rather than point of sale delivery at gun shows, and things like that."

Sorry to disagree but in any context you wish to hypothesize the first sentence stipulates the terms while later ones stipulate conditions.

At any rate most "automatic" weapons are already banned or heavily restricted with already owned weapons characterized as "assault weapons" probably grandfathered.

You know there is already "grandfathering" of ownership of weapons that have been later designated restricted ownership for those who do not fit the criteria but at the time of purchase did so legally.

There must take place reasoned discussion with the rights of the law abiding people foremost in mind but this 'willy-nilly everyone's right regardless of circumstance' just isn't working.

The foremost place to start is active enforcement and compliance with already existing laws; without that, adding new ones would be a pointless and fruitless endeavour.
Did you miss this part? "ban of automatic and assault weapons for personal use, ban of cop killer bullets that penetrate vests," No hypothesis needed. It is stated in plain english.

"Assault weapons" do not exist. The rifles that you think are "assault" weapons are not banned.

Assault rifles have been restricted since 86 but are not banned.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Gun control laws aren't written to be enforced, they are written to achieve a liberal progressive end using gun control as a means to it.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
awful all around, i cant imagine losing my loved one, no less being able to see their last moments televised.

how have they not caught the guy yet, it was a public place with presumably more than 2 people sitting around, what about the woman they interviewed?
The woman interviewed is in surgery.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
video is now up on youtube as well: https://youtu.be/XtZfb30R14M

uncensored of course unlike every news channel (why do newschannels and websites censor footage? why? really, why?) the reason this girl did not get suspicious is because news reporters are used to people being around them and nosying up to their work assignment so they just ignore it as usual.
The poor girl took two like a champ and was still able to run away.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The woman interviewed is in surgery.
Seems the perp attempted self lead poisoning, haven't heard if he's deceased or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events