Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
He lost a family member due to senseless violence that they might not have even directly caused it. I'd say that position is warranted.
How would he have reacted if she was stabbed vs shot? Killed in a car crash no one wants to ban cars do they?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:11 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How would he have reacted if she was stabbed vs shot? Killed in a car crash no one wants to ban cars do they?
Well, I guess it's too bad he doesn't have other daughters to sacrifice so you can have your questions answered, huh?

disgusting

Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 AM

638 posts, read 978,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
The lady acted like she heard a gun shot. She didn't act like she was shot.

The camera man kept on recorded and didn't run. He then laid the camera down. lol

The lady being interviewed acted like she knew what was going to happen.

Staged.

So everyone died besides the lady being interviewed? Waiting for her side of the story after she finishes reading the script and pockets the $$$ for going along.
Big foot is real too don't forget that part... oh yeah, and the moon landing wasn't real.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
He is discussing the mentally ill and their access. Which is a fair question given this and other circumstances. Not talking about you, I assume.

As to your "happy to be there" and "he's the sick person" assertions, give it a rest dude. You don't have to agree with him but I don't understand why you'd be so threatened as to malign a heavily grieving father's character.
In this situation, short of a full out gun ban, i dont see what would have stopped this guy from getting a gun.

He planned this for a long time, he didnt just buy the gun on a whim, he had some issues at his places of employment but as far as I know, a clean background, unless someone is arguing for a mandatory psych review before being able to purchase a gun which is a nonstarter, I dont know what could have been done.

Since the shooter is dead, I'll chalk this up a grieving father, forever denied justice, lashing out and trying to rationally deal with an irrational tragedy.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 AM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
In this situation, short of a full out gun ban, i dont see what would have stopped this guy from getting a gun.

He planned this for a long time, he didnt just buy the gun on a whim, he had some issues at his places of employment but as far as I know, a clean background, unless someone is arguing for a mandatory psych review before being able to purchase a gun which is a nonstarter, I dont know what could have been done.

Since the shooter is dead, I'll chalk this up a grieving father, forever denied justice, lashing out and trying to rationally deal with an irrational tragedy.
Psych evaluations are often useless. If the one performing them is anti-gun and thinks anyone wanting one is crazy, for example, no one would pass one.

This guy planned it out months in advance. He was not crazy. It was premeditated murder.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Most mentally ill people do not commit crimes. They are often targeted for crimes.

Most people who kill others are simply evil. Just because someone doesn't think as you do doesn't make the person mentally ill. This man was evil.
one of the greater C-D posts of late.. Unfortunately, words of truth.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
What was there to win when people are killed? That was a pathetic post you made, hope it helps you feel better about yourself.

My post was a response to someone gloating that the shooter was white, when in fact he was not.
No, it's about you gloating because you think are "right" about something. This pushes your agenda, so you posted to boast about it despite the tragedy. Be the bigger man and don't respond if you feel like someone else is doing the same thing.

This is a tragedy for all of us as Americans, all colors and backgrounds. This petty oneupmanship over people's bodies has to end.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I've heard those speculations as well. Personally, I think the number they speculated crime dropped by due to abortion is overstated, and the numbers for crime dropping due to locking violent criminals up long term is understated. Just because someone doesn't want to get pregnant and considers and rejects abortion or abortion is unavailable, it does not necessarily follow that the child will remain unwanted or unloved once it is born. I do believe Roe v. Wade is a contributing factor though, just as baby boomers getting older is a huge factor (young people commit most of the crimes).

However, I still think locking up a lot of the drug offenders dropped crime by more than 5%. There was a lot of violent people who were selling drugs back in the '80s and '90s. Those people taken off the streets definitely contributed to a huge drop in crime. My guess is that the biggest contributer was the baby boomers aging out of the crime market, and the fact that the current young generation is larger than Gen X is why crime is edging up again.
No one knows for sure, but I always enjoy discussing it and reading about it. This is why most criminologists claim that higher incarceration has only a limited effect on lowering the crime rate: The study says that "between 1991 and 1998, the 20 states with the highest rise in prison population — a 72 percent increase on average — recorded a 13 percent reduction in crime. It says the 30 states with smaller rises in prison population — averaging a 30 percent increase — had their crime rates drop 17 percent". While this article claims: "For example, using national-level data, researchers have found that a 10 percent higher incarceration rate is associated with anywhere from a 9 percent to a 22 percent lower crime rate.13 In contrast, analyses using state-level data found a weaker association, concluding that a 10 percent increase in incarceration is associated with a crime rate that is anywhere from 0.11 percent to 4 percent lower.14 Similar estimates have been generated from studies using county-level data, ranging from a 2 percent to a 4 percent crime-rate difference.15 Moreover, several studies have found no relationship between incarceration rates and crime rates.16 One study even found that higher incarceration rates were associated with higher crime rates in states with already high incarceration rates (incarceration rates above 325 inmates per 100,000 population).17"

One thing that is generally acknowledged is that arresting drug dealers, particularly in urban areas caused violent crime resulting from 'turf wars' when rivals fought to take over the territory of the incarcerated drug dealer. the nationwide emphasis on arresting drug dealers may have produced a labor shortage, which contributed to the high mortality rate of the 1980s. “Every time you jail a drug dealer, you open up a new opportunity for an enterprising young man. What does he do to compete for this job? He kills for it.”65 The chart shown above illustrates the homicide rate in the United States for the 20th Century. Note that this century's two most violent episodes are concurrent with stringent prohibition policies"

Maybe one day I will start a thread just about this subject

Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM

273 posts, read 201,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Beautiful Blonde reporter possibly the target??....Probably another dork loser who couldn't get any girls and had to sit at home jerking off every day cause no girl wanted him....Just like every other one of these Mass Shooter losers....
And yet this didn't end up being the case. I really hate it when people make baseless assumptions like this.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, I guess it's too bad he doesn't have other daughters to sacrifice so you can have your questions answered, huh?

disgusting
Day by day your .02 cent interjections become more obtuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events