Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,415,892 times

Advertisements

The folks in the Virginias are going to be having interesting supper table discussions this evening.

Gun-wielding schoolboy holds 29 pupils and teacher hostage in classroom stand-off with police in West Virginia

Last edited by BruSan; 08-26-2015 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,924,122 times
Do you know that Virginia and West Virginia are not the same state?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do you know that Virginia and West Virginia are not the same state?
Yes I do and stand corrected as I should have said Virginian in the title and/or the Virginias in the post....

Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 PM

17,478 posts, read 15,054,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yes I do and stand corrected as I should have said Virginian in the title and/or the Virginias in the post....
That's like talking about Las Vegas, NV and Las Vegas, NM.. They're nothing alike. They just have the same name.

You can get away with "The Carolinas" when referring to certain areas of North and South Carolina.. But, Virginians will, by and large, be very ticked off by lumping them together with people from West Virginia.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's like talking about Las Vegas, NV and Las Vegas, NM.. They're nothing alike. They just have the same name.

You can get away with "The Carolinas" when referring to certain areas of North and South Carolina.. But, Virginians will, by and large, be very ticked off by lumping them together with people from West Virginia.
At the same time, it's a rare US person who does not paint Canada ( or any other country) with a broad brush.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,983,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
At the same time, it's a rare US person who does not paint Canada ( or any other country) with a broad brush.
Because you are talking about an entire country when you say that.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,720,625 times
west virginia is a completely different state.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

ha, that is the absolute truth!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Haar; had I known there'd be more discussion over my faux paux, Id've been more deliberate with perhaps throwing in a comment about who would call themselves 'West' Virginia while not wanting to be confused with the other Virginia ? Couldn't they have come up with a totally separate name for themselves like Sophia or Clementine or the State of Grace instead of hijacking the name and then saying "we're not them though; we're to the left of them". Ya just gotta love this chit.

Now having had my fun; I will summarily and without reservation apologize to all those Virginians who might be taking the foregoing seriously as that is not my intent at all. I'm funning with y'all.

I was well aware of the distinction between W. Virginia and Virginia proper and there is no reasonable or acceptable excuse for my making that error when posting.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haar; had I known there'd be more discussion over my faux paux, Id've been more deliberate with perhaps throwing in a comment about who would call themselves 'West' Virginia while not wanting to be confused with the other Virginia ? Couldn't they have come up with a totally separate name for themselves like Sophia or Clementine or the State of Grace instead of hijacking the name and then saying "we're not them though; we're to the left of them". Ya just gotta love this chit.

Now having had my fun; I will summarily and without reservation apologize to all those Virginians who might be taking the foregoing seriously as that is not my intent at all. I'm funning with y'all.

I was well aware of the distinction between W. Virginia and Virginia proper and there is no reasonable or acceptable excuse for my making that error when posting.
honestly though, that is a terribly scary story but overlooked on the wv/va thing...sorry! i live in swva and only since living here have learned that wv gets a lot of **** from va ...but that is besides the point, the story should get more notice...just awful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events