Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You know, I was just wondering last night why no one's done an experiment with this. Do you remember the book "Black Like Me"? If I remember correctly, that was written by a white man who changed his color (I have no idea how - make-up, maybe?) and traveled through the country documenting his experiences. What if some white guy did the same thing and documented how many times he was stopped and why and then redid the experiment driving while white? I think it would be very interesting to see the results.
No one would ever believe it though, from either side. They'd say it was staged or they'd look at the news outlet or source and say they had an agenda. Or they'd just say it was exaggerated, edited, or whatever to lead people to the conclusion that they wanted them to.

Quote:
Whatever you want. You might be right, you might be wrong. As I pointed out, I was economically profiled and pulled over, and behaved myself (although irritated) and was on my way a couple minutes later. Actually, given what I was driving, I guess the cop was correct in thinking I was dead broke, but of course, stopped me because this was a town in which you could stand on the streets and count Jags and Mercedes and reach 100 after an hour. It's a fact of life when you're driving a 15 year old truck with dents and rust down the streets there, any cop worth his salt would wonder why.
Next time you are in that neighborhood with that beat up old truck, just make sure you are carrying a lawn mower, a weedeater and some other gardening tools and I bet they'll leave you alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 10:03 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
The people who look at a cop and perhaps smile or just not have the deep frown that every injustice ever imagined has been cast on them are usually not stopped. If you go through life with a scowl on your face, people will react to that. Now look at just about any picture if a black male? When was the last time they had anything but a scowl or frown on their face? It is learned behavior.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm surprised that a cop would be this hyper-sensitive to prolonged eye contact. Prison and jail inmates who stare at one another are 'mad-dogging', indicating that they are ready to fight with the inmate they are staring at. It would be profoundly stupid for a felon in or out of custody to mad-dog a cop or correctional officer. I think this cop watched too many episodes of MSNBC lock-up and perceived a threat where none existed.
and he let the driver go....no problem....time to move on

Old 08-31-2015, 10:23 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The people who look at a cop and perhaps smile or just not have the deep frown that every injustice ever imagined has been cast on them are usually not stopped. If you go through life with a scowl on your face, people will react to that. Now look at just about any picture if a black male? When was the last time they had anything but a scowl or frown on their face? It is learned behavior.
Over the years I worked with many Black teachers, administrators, kids, and parents. I never saw that as any more indicative of Black behavior than White behavior.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:25 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
and he let the driver go....no problem....time to move on
Sorry dude, but you don't own the thread, and telling other posters to 'move on' is nothing more than childish trolling.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,837 times
Quote:
Sorry dude, but you don't own the thread, and telling other posters to 'move on' is nothing more than childish trolling.
That poster didn't tell anyone to do anything, just made a statement. As for trolling...

Old 08-31-2015, 10:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
That poster didn't tell anyone to do anything, just made a statement. As for trolling...
I'm starting to wonder if "keep it simple" isn't your alter ego, you certainly rush in within moments to defend one another

Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Ever notice how few dead people smile? Google "bitchy resting face."

I will acknowledge, though, that some cultures have a concept of "gameface" (Google that) or a notion of not smiling denoting the gravitas of adulthood.

As a portrait photographer, I learned quickly that there was simply no point trying to get older Mexican men to smile for a photograph; that just wasn't gonna happen. For black men, the "gameface" thing is older than the word "gameface" itself.

But that has absolutely zero to do with the person's attitude toward other people--it's just a presented persona for photographs or other times that a "high gravitas" image is intended. You can't make a judgment of attitude from a person's picture.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
i was talking about the driver of the car, not the thread...try to keep up

Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if "keep it simple" isn't your alter ego, you certainly rush in within moments to defend one another
please show us where i defended Year2525 or he/she defended me? Is the problem that 2 people agree with a mindset that is opposed to yours and you dont like that? What is next, if i/we disagree with you, you will play the race card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events