Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 07:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
According to the JUDGE. She is not approving, or authorizing anything she is signing that the information on the licenses is correct and valid. That is according to the court records, not some news site.
I get your emphasis on "Judge" vs "News Site". While I wasn't in the courtroom to hear the judge. I am going on the media sources we all have access to. However, I didn't bother to search for the specific news vid or direct source from the "Judge" as I thought we all understand that it's a given what the Judge said. It's been discusses ad nauseam. I was simply including the news quote to show what she was saying. And that is, in HER opinion, SHE feels SHE IS giving her approval by allowing her signature on the forms. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand? One doesn't have to agree with it, just understand this is HER reason for stating her position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She holds the keys to her own cell, she can walk free right now if she so chooses. All she has to do is agree to allow the deputy clerks to issue licenses, or resign. She doesn't even have to issue one single license herself.
Well, this is rather a Hobson's Choice, isn't it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Oh no... this poor woman.
Not only did she get the scriptures wrong, but in setting out on a self-appointed crusade, she left her personal life open to public scrutiny. (The OLD Testament is part of the Torah. We're supposedly, "Christians." I mean ... someone please tell me how do you rape an angel?? )

But did you read the LATEST??
Now it's clear about the REAL reason she hates gays...

This poor, ill-informed women gets on the INTERNATIONAL stage and now says she refuses to go to jail because.. "It's full of Lesbians."

Hello!
It doesn't take a Jungian psychologist to understand that.
"We hate in others, what we hate in ourselves."

So it's not gays she hates... IT'S HERSELF.

Oy vey... Kim, Kim, Kim...

It's unfortunate that Christianity has a duality (God Vs. The Devil) that often makes it hard for people to own their "Disavowed Shadow." It really became cemented in duality during the 4th Century when the Desert Fathers began building monasteries in North Africa. [SEE: "Demons And The Making Of The Monk: Spiritual Combat in Early Christianity" by David Brakke]

Apparently, when those skinny Ethiopians came knocking on the door wanting to study with them, some of the monks got aroused... attracted. Instead of bringing the Shadow to Light, their response was to say it was the Ethiopians fault.. and their black skin showed the DEVIL was inside of them. ... and so, it began...

Now Kim is doing the same thing... "in front of God and everybody."
Who knows what background created this train wreck.
But it sure does illustrate why it's best to show love and tolerance rather than painting ourselves in dark corners with hatred and bigotry.

This is why the Spiritual Path is so hard!
To love thy enemies as thyself is not easy by any means. The radio shock-jocks have made such behavior appear foolish.

To love someone who exhibits my own worst fears... who mirrors the things I hate most about myself... IS THE SPIRITUAL JOURNEY.

"THOU SHALT NOT JUDGE."
We're given some parameters to judge, but if we are Christians... to avoid yet another, "spiritual butt whipping" ... it's best to humble oneself before the Seven Cardinal Virtues... instead of embracing the Seven Deadly Sins."

smh... People STILL don't know how to read that bible!
The instructions CLEARLY say, ".. be not of the letter, for the letter kills."
The Greeks had the Bible for 400 years.
What were the Greeks best known for? MYTHOLOGY!

The stories are "Mystical" in their meaning.
They're mind-maps for YOUR spiritual journey.
To understand them, you need to understand the three levels of allegory, symbolism... and you need a bit of knowledge about numerology, Hebrew, astrology, and even science.

In short, while Christians aren't under the authority of the Old Testament LAWS, (why did they write that Jesus came???), we do need a Rabbi to fully understand those Jewish stories.

Poor woman.
I blame money hungry preachers who have their eyes on the empire of "pass-the-plate" theology rather than actually doing the work to deeply explain the meaning of the, "Christ-Mind."

Old 09-06-2015, 07:45 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

This is your opinion, but not hers. In this news article Defying order, Ky. clerk still refuses to issue marriage licenses Davis argued that issuing a same-sex marriage license that contains her signature is the same as her approving the marriage, which she said violates her Christian beliefs.
The role of the county clerk is to ascertain that the applicants have legal standing to marry and to collect the license fee. No government official is tasked with approving or disapproving of any particular couple's potential marriage. n

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
I get your emphasis on "Judge" vs "News Site". While I wasn't in the courtroom to hear the judge. I am going on the media sources we all have access to. However, I didn't bother to search for the specific news vid or direct source from the "Judge" as I thought we all understand that it's a given what the Judge said. It's been discusses ad nauseam. I was simply including the news quote to show what she was saying. And that is, in HER opinion, SHE feels SHE IS giving her approval by allowing her signature on the forms. Not sure why this is so difficult to understand? One doesn't have to agree with it, just understand this is HER reason for stating her position.

But she hasn't given her approval.

However, those in her office can sign the licenses and they will be valid.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:

The judge as in the court records. I read the court records of the case, and the judges opinion and ruling.

Her job is not to approve of any marriage it is to verify that the information is correct. That is all. If she feels that she is personally approving of these marriages, then why did she have no problem issuing marriage licenses to those who lived together before marriage, or those that were previously divorced. Big no nos in the big book.

No it is not a Hobson's choice, it is the choice she has since she was elected to do a job, and swore an oath to uphold the constitution and the law. SHE put herself in this position, and she has the way out if she so chooses, but she wants to be a martyr for her "beliefs", and possibly a payday from the fundie circuit.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Also in her opinion, from now on no one in Rowan County will be able to obtain a marriage license, due to her beliefs. Clearly, that is ridiculous. People who have legal standing to marry and wish to marry have the right to do so.

She should not compromise her beliefs; she should resign.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:54 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The role of the county clerk is to ascertain that the applicants have legal standing to marry and to collect the license fee. No government official is tasked with approving or disapproving of any particular couple's potential marriage. n
I thought we all agree on the role of the CC. And how Davis feels about her name on said form.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
I thought we all agree on the role of the CC. And how Davis feels about her name on said form.
If she feels that doing her job is a problem she should do the honorable thing and resign.

She is not signing as Kim Davis the person, but as the head of a government office. No one cares what her beliefs are on the issue, the only thing people care about is going in to the office and being able to receive the services that the office provides.

I live in a small town, really small. The MAYOR runs the water department. If the mayor decided that his beliefs said that no homosexuals should be allowed to live in this town should he be allowed to refuse to turn on water service to residences?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
She has the right to not want her name on the form. She doesn't have the right to both hold the office charged with issuing marriage licenses and to simultaneously refuse to issue them.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Oh no... this poor woman.
Not only did she get the scriptures wrong, but in setting out on a self-appointed crusade, she left her personal life open to public scrutiny. (The OLD Testament is part of the Torah. We're supposedly, "Christians." I mean ... someone please tell me how do you rape an angel?? )

But did you read the LATEST??
Do you have a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events