Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 07:09 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
She can ask for a slice of green cheese fresh from The Moon, but she won't get it … Anyway, the appellate court is not obligated to hear her appeal, but can simply dismiss it ...

However, if her lawyer keeps on pressing frivolous issues and points, (s)he may be further sanctioned by the courts … Judges don't like being ignored or disobeyed -- or having their time wasted …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:27 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is clearly an exaggeration, but it makes the point about FORCING one's religious views on others.

I always thought there was one hymn that was rather unfortunately worded: "Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war..." I just don't see that as being what Jesus was about.
Yes, I understood their point. But I also see people using words in threads that I doubt they would say to people face to face. Just as I told my kids when they were young, choose your words carefully, once spoken, they can't be taken back. One can apologize, but the hurt can remain. My point with that poster was that to be so flippant and throw out insults like that thinking they were being clever, isn't clever.

How interesting that you chose to bring up the song "Onward Christian Soldiers"! I was quite surprised as it's not an American song. And that you feel Jesus wasn't "about" this. I find it interesting when those who either bash Christians, are dismissive of Christianity or misunderstand it, feel they understand what Christ was about. What he was about was simple, yet profound. I am honestly not saying this to be rude to you - if we were discussing this in person I'd be saying this to you matter-of-factly without judgment. But you totally misunderstood the song, I think I understand why it could be misunderstood. The song was my one of my two favorite songs as a child growing up in the UK
It was written by a Briton for a very specific purpose, here's his quote of the purpose of writing it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onward...stian_Soldiers It was to celebrate the "Whitsunday Walks", (not to be confused with Whitsuntide), where children from area churches wore new clothes, girls wore white dresses, and they "Walked" with the group from their church throughout their town/city. They'd hold ribbons attached to banners with their church name and inscription and the cross. They were accompanied by brass bands - a big northern English thing. here's a very good description of it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitsun
Anyhow, the term Christians Soldiers was his describing the children going out to march for Jesus - walking in the parade was a statement of their faith and belief in Jesus. It's a beautiful tradition I treasure. Thanks for reminding me of this

Old 09-11-2015, 07:33 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
It is quite an insult to use this term. And of course you meant it to be. But be serious, the taliban has been murdering Christians, women and children, raping them, beheading them. Whether we agree with Kim or not, she has refused to issue marriage licenses. This hasn't caused the death, rape, murder, or displacement of anyone.

You have the right to disagree with her, even dislike her for it. Or work to get her out of office if you live in her county. But to insult the whole of Christianity because of this is a very narrow minded view. It isn't funny, it isn't clever, it's simply wrong.
Christianity deserves to be insulted. Christians like this woman have shown themselves to be bigoted, intolerant and anti-democratic. If you don't want to be tarred with the same brush then do something to put a stop to these fundamentalists.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Christianity deserves to be insulted. Christians like this woman have shown themselves to be bigoted, intolerant and anti-democratic. If you don't want to be tarred with the same brush then do something to put a stop to these fundamentalists.
Please, enlighten us, what we are supposed to do to put a stop to these fundamentalists?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:14 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This is like saying all men deserve to be insulted or called criminals or rapists simply because a few commit such acts.

I never cease to be amazed that it's gauche nowadays to bash and downright insult all Christians for the actions of a few or if one doesn't agree with the actions of a handful. Yet, let someone say the same or similar about a Muslim and the Christian bashers suddenly develop a bleeding heart and say that we shouldn't judge and entire religion on the actions of a few "radicals". So much hypocrisy!

When you look at all the good works Christians do in this country and around the world, the % of the ones who people take issue with is a fraction of a %. It's simply illogical to judge all by the actions of a few.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 09-11-2015 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-11-2015, 09:22 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,453,986 times
Kim Davis in for a big surprise in her hometown. A non-profit has a billboard message challenging traditional values for Kim in Moorehead, Ky.

Quote:
“Dear Kim Davis, The fact that you can’t sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we’ve already redefined marriage.”
Billboard challenging

Old 09-11-2015, 09:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Please, enlighten us, what we are supposed to do to put a stop to these fundamentalists?
By advocating the strict use of Reason for all affairs and events on the planet Earth for as long as you live. And advising your friends and family to do the same.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:50 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Kim Davis in for a big surprise in her hometown. A non-profit has a billboard message challenging traditional values for Kim in Moorehead, Ky.

“Dear Kim Davis, The fact that you can’t sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we’ve already redefined marriage.”
Excellent approach. Shining the light of Reason on the darkness of Mysticism.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:19 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
This is like saying all men deserve to be insulted or called criminals or rapists simply because a few commit such acts.

I never cease to be amazed that it's gauche nowadays to bash and downright insult all Christians for the actions of a few or if one doesn't agree with the actions of a handful. Yet, let someone say the same or similar about a Muslim and the Christian bashers suddenly develop a bleeding heart and say that we shouldn't judge and entire religion on the actions of a few "radicals". So much hypocrisy!

When you look at all the good works Christians do in this country and around the world, the % of the ones who people take issue with is a fraction of a %. It's simply illogical to judge all by the actions of a few.
The term for it is bigotry

Unfortunately, anti-religious bigotry is not only allowed but encouraged by some folks these days ...

Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So it seems that taking her name off of the licenses as she asked isn't enough for her.
At this point, she is just being used and she is too obtuse to realize it.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events